Who needs sports? | The Boneyard

Who needs sports?

Reaction Score
Was a great game, can't beat playoff baseball. What sucks for Arozarena is he's a baseball player and won't be a FA until 2027

I agree that it was a great game (the Rays really are a resilient bunch), and playoff baseball is really good. But can't be beat?

Sorry, but playoff hockey, particularly sudden death overtime, is still better. Best example: the Rangers/Devils 2 OT/Game 7 thriller in 1994 to decide the Eastern Conference championship, ended by the epic Howie Rose call: "Matteau, Matteau... Steph-ANE MAT-TEAU!!!" The best high stakes professional sporting event I have seen.

And #1? No game, playoff or otherwise (not even the January 20th, 1990 game versus Georgetown at the HC that still is the loudest crowd I have ever personally witnessed) has ever or will ever beat our first National Championship game victory. Not just because it was us (and us beating Duke in particular), but it was actually one of the 5 or so best national championship games ever played. Beginning to end, that game was executed at an amazingly high level... particularly by us. Both by our players and JC and his coaching staff.

For my money, that game can never and will never be beat... and I was lucky enough to be there.

Reaction Score
Saw the highlights (without knowing about the end of game errors). Those 17 minutes of baseball were so exciting, the only thing missing was the real time intensity and drama throughout the game.

The silver lining is that there are at least 2 more games to play, allowing redemption for Dodger fans and new life for Rays fans.

Makes me now want to peek at game 5,

Reaction Score
I agree that it was a great game (the Rays really are a resilient bunch), and playoff baseball is really good. But can't be beat?

Sorry, but playoff hockey, particularly sudden death overtime, is still better. Best example: the Rangers/Devils 2 OT/Game 7 thriller in 1994 to decide the Eastern Conference championship, ended by the epic Howie Rose call: "Matteau, Matteau... Steph-ANE MAT-TEAU!!!" The best high stakes professional sporting event I have seen.

And #1? No game, playoff or otherwise (not even the January 20th, 1990 game versus Georgetown at the HC that still is the loudest crowd I have ever personally witnessed) has ever or will ever beat our first National Championship game victory. Not just because it was us (and us beating Duke in particular), but it was actually one of the 5 or so best national championship games ever played. Beginning to end, that game was executed at an amazingly high level... particularly by us. Both by our players and JC and his coaching staff.

For my money, that game can never and will never be beat... and I was lucky enough to be there.

Hmm. Personally speaking, as a former Whalers season ticket holder, I couldn't name 2 NHL coaches or 10 players right now. Feels like that sport has really gotten diluted in quality of play, no more the rough and tumble physical game, no "enforcers", no fighting, faceless players.

And interesting that your example is from a quarter century ago.

Reaction Score
Crazy how Arozarena was ranked the Rays' 19th best prospect back in August.

I'm a Yankees fan, but this Rays team is so easy to root for.

What a fun end to the game, so much fun to rewatch over and over to capture all the details. Overall, it's been a very good playoffs and great to see work so far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom