Who knew Pheesa can sky? | The Boneyard

Who knew Pheesa can sky?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
May be the angle but looks to be very close to the rim.
upload_2017-12-25_19-6-37.png

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Funny, how good she is at so many facets of the game. I’ve never seen a player so talented whose game calls so (comparatively) little attention to itself. She just kills opponent hopes one small step at a time.

Reaction Score
Funny, how good she is at so many facets of the game. I’ve never seen a player so talented whose game calls so (comparatively) little attention to itself. She just kills opponent hopes one small step at a time.
I always thought Tuck was the same way, and see a lot of Tuck's game in Collier.

Reaction Score
We will never know how much Tuck could really jump, because she already had had an ACL tear in high school, and we know more now in hindsight, about how much trouble she has with her knees.

As I recall, before Tuck got hurt in high school, she was the #2 ranked player in HS, behind someone else, whose name I cannot recall. (That player didn't do much in her high school bb career, or so some might say. They say she played a bit as a freshman, but didn't score in a game against Baylor. Also, she didn't play in the first game of the tournament as a freshman. The team claimed there was a hip issue. Who knows? Maybe she caught on overseas a bit. China maybe? One can hope, right?) Head bang (I get silly sometimes.) :eek::eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On a serious note, I did notice Naphessa sky for a rebound in Toronto, in a way I had never seen before. I was startled, in a happy way.

Did others, who know more than I, see this?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I always thought Tuck was the same way, and see a lot of Tuck's game in Collier.

I think of Collier as a more athletic, but somewhat less "cerebral" version of Tuck. Tuck's mind had more than enough quickness to make up for any post-injury slowdowns. :)

Napheesa is also smart by college player standards, but not quite up to Tuck's on court brains. Few are.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think it was the camera angle. Not to take anything away from Napheesa, who is a real talent, but I don;t think she's up to that kind of jumping. On the other hand, I'd agree with those who say she is a sewrious stealth bomber, getting her 15-20 points without anyone really noticing.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
On a serious note, I did notice Naphessa sky for a rebound in Toronto, in a way I had never seen before. I was startled, in a happy way.

Did others, who know more than I, see this?
Yes, I saw it and it was heartening to see because it said to me she was free from any foot problem. I think she has looked much more like her old self these last two games. That's bad news for opponents.

Reaction Score
Yes, I saw it and it was heartening to see because it said to me she was free from any foot problem. I think she has looked much more like her old self these last two games. That's bad news for opponents.

Hmm, I had never seen her that high up before. Have you GusM?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Hmm, I had never seen her that high up before. Have you GusM?
Nothing really stands out off the top of the head. Some of her "stuff" blocks have been impressive for the quick jump.

But again, she makes things look so effortless, even though we know they're not.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
During her UConn days, Tuck sometimes called herself a silent assassin. Pheesa is a most worthy successor!
I used to think of Tuck as The Prototype of a power forward. What couldn't she do that you would want such a player to do?

I'm beginning to re-think it. Maybe Collier is The Prototype. Those long arms and legs!! What can't she do that you'd want a power forward to do?

Or is such a position designation even relevant? Maybe she's just a great basketball player, as was Tuck.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Naphessa is a really good team player... I'm not sure she'd be great on any other team. The sets and passes make her look extremely good, not totally saying she wouldn't be on another team but UConn is a "great pick"

Reaction Score
I watched her jump like that for three years in high school and I saw most of her home games.

Thank you. Wow, seeing her play in high school. That must have been a treat. :)

Follow up. So, have I been missing something watching her play at UConn, which may well be true given my limited knowledge and somewhat poor eyesight? That is, I think you are saying you saw her sky like she did in high school, and I am assuming you saw this during her time at UConn. Therefore, for you, her play in Toronto was "more of the same." Yes? (If so, then I have been missing it until now, which is OK.) Thoughts?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Naphessa is a really good team player... I'm not sure she'd be great on any other team. The sets and passes make her look extremely good, not totally saying she wouldn't be on another team but UConn is a "great pick"

She carried her high school team. I think she would carry a college team if she needed to score more and do more. She is so good she just fits into the scheme required by a team's personnel.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Where was her jumping ability against ND when their three out of shape post players were dominating her in the paint?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
She is one of those people who make wondrous things look easy. Such a graceful athlete.

I agree with your statement. So does this basketball skills coach with whom Collier trains.
And here's what he says about Collier: "It's crazy. We'll throw different stuff at her, and her ability to pick things up is quicker than any athlete that I've ever seen or any athlete that I've every worked with. I've had the pleasure to see Andrew Wiggins work out for the first time with one of our other trainers. I've seen Zach LaVine and some of my NBA guys. She picks up footwork quicker than anyone I've seen. Sometimes it will take 15 minutes with a certain move for one of the NBA guys to pick up. It might take her two reps and she's got it. It's crazy."
UConn women's basketball: Napheesa Collier impressing skills coach with offseason work

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think it was the camera angle. Not to take anything away from Napheesa, who is a real talent, but I don;t think she's up to that kind of jumping. On the other hand, I'd agree with those who say she is a sewrious stealth bomber, getting her 15-20 points without anyone really noticing.
Good comment. From the angle, looks like she is 2 inches below hoop. I would suspect she can at least touch the rim so wouldn't be surprised if we see better pics in future.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
During her UConn days, Tuck sometimes called herself a silent assassin. Pheesa is a most worthy successor!

Oh so true. Pheesa is not flashy, but silent and deadly. If Morgan was the silent assassin the Pheesa is the quiet assassin!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Where was her jumping ability against ND when their three out of shape post players were dominating her in the paint?
You mean that game were she was the leading rebounder, of both teams? That game where she outscored Westbeld and Shepard combined? More blocks than ND combined? That game? Man, are you ever right about anything???

$100. Still.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom