OT: - Who is your Tourney Kryptonite? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Who is your Tourney Kryptonite?

Reaction Score
Upper classman, size, depth, teams with at least two quality scorers, quality season wins, a solid head coach. I used to track all of that, now I just mainly watch and just fill out a bracket based only on emotion.

It's March madness and trends don't matter as much as heart. If Uconn doesn't advance, then I want the craziest things to happen.
True. No matter how much we know about the game it rarely factors in.

Reaction Score
Vanderbilt.

10-15 years ago they were routinely a #4 or 5 seed and got upset in the first round 3 times.

View attachment 73173
Wow. This is noteworthy. I'm curious to see which other teams may have had similar troubles in the past 20 years. I doubt many as glaring as this. Poor Vandy. I live in Nashville and the poor guys get nary a nod from the community. For All Sports

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
Any team that slows the ball down and forces UCONN to run a half court offense for 4 quarters. There is no question at all they are better when they run, everything frees up for their offense when this happens.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Taking Syracuse to lose in the first round. Pluck, grit and an over reliance on the 2-3 zone carries that crappy team to wins in the post season that they don’t deserve.

Fortunately I, in all likelihood, won’t get sucked into it this year.

Actually if you made me choose yes or no today, they will be in tourney. Watch.

Reaction Score
Any team that slows the ball down and forces UCONN to run a half court offense for 4 quarters. There is no question at all they are better when they run, everything frees up for their offense when this happens.
Props for that avatar.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong but I thought I read statistically 12s beat 5s more than 50%. If not, it’s pretty close to that number.
12 seeds are are 54-110 all time in the 5 v 12 game, so they win just about 33% of the time

Reaction Score
Pretty much any B10 team that makes the tournament

But this year may be different with either Purdue or Illinois making at least the final four. And watch they will both exit early and I'll be like see kryptonite

Reaction Score
Pretty much any B10 team that makes the tournament

But this year may be different with either Purdue or Illinois making at least the final four. And watch they will both exit early and I'll be like see kryptonite
A dominant big is always so enticing.

Reaction Score
There’s a rationale behind the 5-12. 12s are typically the best mid majors and 5s tend to be so-so power conference teams.
100%- it sure as hell ain't some magic spell of March or some other hocus pocus BS that sports announcers want you to believe. I think some of the 5 seeds tend to be public teams that they were highly enamored with during the season as they were Final Four hopefuls or in the Top 10 at some point and the public continues to hold onto that during the NCAAT not realizing they are overrating them. In addition to that, the #5 is from a power conference and looks mightier than the #12 from a "measly" mid major by comparison that no would ever imagine going to the Sweet 16 in the middle of the regular season, well for the most part.

33% of the time according to navery12's post, IMO, is a high amount. I do wonder about winning % of 6-11, 7-10, 4-13, and 3-14 matchups in comparison to the 5-12 matchup. I will Google it later

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As for my kryptonite, it's when there is more parity than I would like to admit and that the seeds don't matter as much as they should.

Reaction Score
100%- it sure as hell ain't some magic spell of March or some other hocus pocus BS that sports announcers want you to believe. I think some of the 5 seeds tend to be public teams that they were highly enamored with during the season as they were Final Four hopefuls or in the Top 10 at some point and the public continues to hold onto that during the NCAAT not realizing they are overrating them. In addition to that, the #5 is from a power conference and looks mightier than the #12 from a "measly" mid major by comparison that no would ever imagine going to the Sweet 16 in the middle of the regular season, well for the most part.

33% of the time according to navery12's post, IMO, is a high amount. I do wonder about winning % of 6-11, 7-10, 4-13, and 3-14 matchups in comparison to the 5-12 matchup. I will Google it later
I'm really interested in the 7-10 percentages. If you find it, post please. I always lose those games

Reaction Score
There’s a rationale behind the 5-12. 12s are typically the best mid majors and 5s tend to be so-so power conference teams.
There are also those seed #s that I just associate with certain teams for whatever reason. Kansas state and Missou always seem to be an 8 or 9 seed, I always associate Wiscy with a 3 , mich.state 2, and Marquette 10. I also think Cincy has been in 80% of the 8-9 games since the tourney began.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Never know what to do with Wisconsin. All or nothing kind of team to me where matchup matters. Always struggle with BYU in first round games too. Never see them a lot and they are always in closely seeded games.

Reaction Score
Never know what to do with Wisconsin. All or nothing kind of team to me where matchup matters. Always struggle with BYU in first round games too. Never see them a lot and they are always in closely seeded games.
Agreed on both. Especially when Wisconsin has a good record by winning games 51-49 in rockfights all year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Actually if you made me choose yes or no today, they will be in tourney. Watch.

Shaking my head. I have to say, I really don’t like those ass hats. I do enjoy playing them though and, like you, I’ve had a lot of fun interaction with them at games. I’ve never followed one of them into the bathroom though, so I tip my cap to you there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom