Who is Your Pre Season #1 Team

Who is Your Pre Season #1 Ranked Team

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One could argue that this year's aTm team will be even better than the last. While they lost Colson and Adams, the remaining players now have the experience of winning it all which breeds confidence and no longer being the team that can't get past the E8. They've actually gotten stronger in the post with Bone being the new center. Sure they had 5 losses, but 1 was an early season loss at Duke and 3 losses were to the same team (Baylor). I don't think ND should start the season ranked ahead of them when they're an 8 loss team that also lost "Bruiser". I still expect aTm to be better than ND. As for Baylor, TN, and UConn, I think all of those teams need to prove it on the court by beating the top teams first. They'll all get their opportunity to do so. I expect Duke and Stanford to both be strong contenders by year's end.
That is not the type of quality that is usually accounted for in the polls. Especially, when the team chemistry without its leadership is an unproven commodity unlike when UConn came into the season undefeated with Maya still on the team and four returning starters.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Why? They lost their two best players. Rankings are where teams are now or where they are projected to be, not based on last season.

I know this and I'm not writing aTm off. Their defense will still be extremely stingy. The post has been upgraded with Bone. They will be a better team this year than last.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
That is not the type of quality that is usually accounted for in the polls. Especially, when the team chemistry without its leadership is an unproven commodity unlike when UConn came into the season undefeated with Maya still on the team and four returning starters.

UConn lost Tina and that was the key there. Tina dominated the post for 2 years. Sydney Carter has spent a year leading aTm when Colson was out with the injury (much of her sophomore year and quite a bit of her junior year). As a senior now, I expect her leadership only be better. Tyra White is another leader for their team. Then there's Elonu, Gilbert, and Bone that will be able to more than handle the post, with all 3 of them having experience. UConn's post presence was replaced by a first year player. Bone is no first year player, having 1 year at South Carolina and another year of practices. She'll be more than ready to step right in.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Clearly losing Tina was not the some supposed it to be since the team won its first 11 games including games against Baylor, ND, and Ohio State. Tina was never a team leader although she was the best center in WCBB. My point is that T A&M had 5 losses and lost two starters. UConn at the time returned the best player in college basketball for the last three years and who was the team leader along with three other starters from an undefeated team. That is a huge difference in maintaining the #1 ranking.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
All this discussion (and may I add how welcome the comments by visitors and newcomers have been) is based on the traditional optimistic belief that everyone stays healthy and no one transfers, becomes ineligible academically, homesick, stressed out, or otherwise disappears from her team's roster.

Unfortunately, none of us can foresee with precision that injuries or other mishaps will occur. Let's all hope for the best and, come next March, may the BEST TEAM win.

And when they do, I'll immediately revise my signature line below and change "Seven. . . ." to "Eight. . . ."

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Clearly losing Tina was not the some supposed it to be since the team won its first 11 games including games against Baylor, ND, and Ohio State. Tina was never a team leader although she was the best center in WCBB. My point is that T A&M had 5 losses and lost two starters. UConn at the time returned the best player in college basketball for the last three years and who was the team leader along with three other starters from an undefeated team. That is a huge difference in maintaining the #1 ranking.

Without Tina, those championships don't happen (just my opinion of course). She required so much attention in the post, it left other players open and made the game alot easier for the rest of the team. Even her rebounding added many more 2nd chance opportunities. I think her impact on both defense and offense, along with her rebounding were huge difference makers that the freshmen could not absorb. I mean Tina was a pro-ready athlete. In addition, there was the loss of Kalana Green, who was another big key in the title runs. Her athleticism was not replaced last year. Meantime, aTm actually upgrades in the post with Bone and a year wiser Gilbert. They aren't depending on a freshman with no experience to come fill the void left by Adams. As many expect Dolson to be a different player this year, I expect Bone and Gilbert to be big differences this year as well. Bone is the real deal and will play like a Junior.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I know this and I'm not writing aTm off. Their defense will still be extremely stingy. The post has been upgraded with Bone. They will be a better team this year than last.

Maybe at the end of the year, but not at the beginning.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Without Tina, those championships don't happen (just my opinion of course). She required so much attention in the post, it left other players open and made the game alot easier for the rest of the team. Even her rebounding added many more 2nd chance opportunities. I think her impact on both defense and offense, along with her rebounding were huge difference makers that the freshmen could not absorb. I mean Tina was a pro-ready athlete. In addition, there was the loss of Kalana Green, who was another big key in the title runs. Her athleticism was not replaced last year. Meantime, aTm actually upgrades in the post with Bone and a year wiser Gilbert. They aren't depending on a freshman with no experience to come fill the void left by Adams. As many expect Dolson to be a different player this year, I expect Bone and Gilbert to be big differences this year as well. Bone is the real deal and will play like a Junior.

Tina's contributions sometimes get lost, as she was not as flashy as other players (e.g., Maya Moore, Diana Taurasi), whose on-court moves drew "oohs" and gasps from the crowd.

In a way, she is Tim Duncan-esque. And there is nothing wrong with that. Duncan is a sure-fire Hall of Famer.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Preseason number one = Baylor

However, if UConn pulls off the win at Baylor early in the season they will catapult to number one. As the season progresses and UConn falters and it very well might...Notre Dame could become number one. When the regular season starts and UConn and Notre Dame have to beat up on each other in the Big East Conference...and TN starts league play in the weak SEC then you might see TN move up to the number one spot. Finally, in March, forgetting the ratings for just a moment and basing opinion on true potential I see it this way:

Post season, Pre-NCAAs:

1. Baylor (can Brittany and supporting cast get it done? Does the supporting cast figure out how to get the ball to the Big girl in the middle? Do other teams figure out how to stop Brittany?)
2. Notre Dame (Does Diggins have what it takes to lead them to the promise land? Can the supporting cast, including their two fifth year seniors finish what they started last year?)
3. UConn (Can the Huskies overcome the loss of MM? Has the returning players improved in the areas that they needed to in order to make the difference? Can the freshman contribute? Can UConn return to its usual suffocating defense?)
4. Tennesse (Can this bunch of Seniors finally work up to their potential? Can Massengale be the pg leader that TN deperately needs? Can the rest of TN buy into the team concept? Can TN overcome their now apparent post weakness?)
5. Stanford (Can Stanford overcome the loss of Pederson and Poulen? Can the "O" sisters carry this team? Do they have enough depth and roll players to finally win the elusive championship?)
6. Texas A & M (Can this team, essentially the same as last year...Bone for Adams repeat? Was last year a fluke? How do they play with the bullseye on their backs?)

Reaction Score
texas a&m probably won't be top 5 in preseason rankings, they lost 2 of their top scorers.. unless Bone and tyra white great this season don't see them in the final four

Reaction Score
On paper Baylor has alot of talent. Last season they didnt make it even with Griner. We will see how much Griner has improved. At 6'8 she should be dominating and almost unstoppable. Think about it if Tina was 6'8?????? This is what Im talking about and mean. Griner right now has the potentcial to be dominate. Lets see what happens this season. If she does Baylor will be almost unbeatable.

Remember how young their roster was freshman and sophomores

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score

This is essentially the same team as last year. Basically it was a trade Adams for Bone. They still have Griner, Syms, Williams, Maddon, Hayden and now Bone...

Reaction Score
Im going with UConn. I beleive Stef this season will score on Griner and with help from Heather and Kiah I think we are in good shape. Put Kelly on Simms and force the rest of Baylor to score and I think we win this game and surprise alot of fans. Uconn is disiplined, and the chemistry is there from last season. I like our chances alot.
I think you might have something here. UCONN is sitting back knowing he has a lot of Aces in the hole........

Reaction Score
This is essentially the same team as last year. Basically it was a trade Adams for Bone. They still have Griner, Syms, Williams, Maddon, Hayden and now Bone...

Bone transferred to A & M. Griner, Syms, Williams, Madden, Hayden, and Pope play for Baylor.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Colson ring a bell? I'm sure it was just an oversite.

221 assists and only 102 TO's. 88 steals. Tremendous defender.

I'm sure others will step but they lost their leading scorer by 9 points per game, their leading rebounder by almost 3 per game, their leader in assists by almost 100 for the season. Leader in steals, leader in blocks. All by far over the returning players.

And before some does the invariable "Well, Uconn is losing Maya and it's just as bad", one - we are talking about A&M, and two - The numbers are not nearly as bad as A&M. UConn was much more diverse among their players other than scoring.

Reaction Score

you my friend are getting texas a&m and baylor confused...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The biggest issue for A&M will likely be its perimeter shooting and ability to stretch defenses. Adams and Colson were 1st and 3rd in three-point attempts last year. Carter was second in 3-pointers attempted and hit a pretty decent percentage, while most of White's shots were mid-range jumpers even though she hit a decent percentage of 3s.

I don't know much about who will replace Adams but among her unique qualities was her ability to stretch the defense from the power forward position. I don't know that A&M has anyone to replace that. Colson's shot also had to be respected and the question remains who will replace her leadership and ability to make shots.

To me, there are too many unknowns to make A&M a top 5 pre-season pick.

Reaction Score
Gotta go with Baylor at the start of the season. Griner is a force that makes them different from any other team on the planet. That doesn't mean they'll be at the top at the end of the year, but at the start, I don't see how anyone else could be rated #1.

Notre Dame is a string, tough team, and I see them at #2 until someone else knocks them out of there.

None of this says that UConn can't beat either team, especially by the end of the season. But at the start, Uconn is too young and untested to be ranked higher that #3, and I might move them down a notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom