Who is the best college basketball TV broadcast team of all time? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who is the best college basketball TV broadcast team of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Marv Albert and Bucky Waters.

BTW, Gus Johnson bites. Sounds like a 13- year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert.
since you brought Marv in, how about Marv and the Czar of the Telestrator, Mike Fratello?

"Lamb no, Drummond yessssssss!!!! An EMPHATIC DUNK!!!"

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The best was Enberg, McGuire and Packer. The two color guys were better together than alone. Packer was an insufferable pantload without McGuire keeping him in check but he was a pretty good analyst playing off of Al.

Reaction Score
Add a +1 for the Raff/Bilas team.

And add a +100 for anything involving Gus. He's the best announcer there is in the last 2 minutes of a tight game. Period.

Reaction Score
Add a +1 for the Raff/Bilas team.

And add a +100 for anything involving Gus. He's the best announcer there is in the last 2 minutes of a tight game. Period.

problem is he treats the previous 38 minutes like its the last two. i remember a few years ago when he was doing the mma strikeforce broadcast on cbs he was absolutely clueless but yet continued to talk over the other analysts and would holler when any punch was thrown. it got embarrassing after awhile.
my favorite all time announcer team was madden and micheals on mnf. legendary! espns mnf is absolutely awful now. i much prefer nbc`s sunday night which is far far superior in every way.

Reaction Score
I cant believe all the love for the over the top annoying Gus Johnson. i mean are you kidding me? he`s the black vitale as far as im concerned. well to each is own. im a huge fan of bilas,raf and mcdonough but i have to say my favorite is kellogg/nance.

Except Johnson is a play by play guy and Vitale is a color guy and all Vitale talks about is Notre Dame football, Tampa Bay Rays, Coach K, Duke and nothing that has to do with the game. I will say that both guys are completely over the top though.

Reaction Score
I also think McD, Bilas, and Raftery are the best. They are very smart and very entertaining but not too over the top like Vitale is. I used to be a big Gus Johnson fan and he does have some of the most memorable calls in NCAA history. I bet that not many people remember Gus broadcast the game for our first trip to the final four. My opinion is earlier in his career all of that emotion he put into the broadcasts were genuine. Over the last 3-4 yrs when people got on the bandwagon and thats what he became known for, i think some of it was forced just to live up to his reputation.

Reaction Score
who was it who called the washington game in '99 when RIP hit that shot?? "Hamilton....HAMILTON! AND UCONN WINS AT THE BUZZER" brings goosebumps everytime its heard

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
who was it who called the washington game in '99 when RIP hit that shot?? "Hamilton....HAMILTON! AND UCONN WINS AT THE BUZZER" brings goosebumps everytime its heard

That was sean mcdonough

Reaction Score
Almost every game, I tend to tuneout the announcers no matter who they are after a couple minutes, unless it's a pretty boring blow out.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Bilas and McDonough.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Raff and anyone else. I almost spit my beer out laughing when he responded to Lamb's monster dunk against Columbia with " THAT BABY!" He's just brilliant.

Reaction Score
Mike Gorman, current Celtics pbp guy, used to be matched up with Raf. They were great. I believe they called the "send it in Jerome!" game.

The current Big Monday BE crew is the best out there right now as far as rapport and that transcends the broadcast. They are knowledgeable about the game, have a history in it, and don't take themselves too seriously. Not sure you can ask for much more in a time when having an on the air is considered a substitute for knowledge.

Reaction Score
I have to say, I really enjoyed the McDonough, Fraschilla, Burke team that called the Pitt game in last year's BET.

If I had to choose my dream broadcast, I guess I'd say McDonough and Bilas.

I don't think Sean called that game. When I hear the "Cardiac Kemba" line, it certainly isn't Sean.

Reaction Score
Al McGuire was a good one and anyone that worked with him was made better.
Packer owes his later success to Al McGuire. I used to enjoy listening to Ron Perry, Bucky Waters and Mike Gorman call a game, and you can't not like Dickie Simpkins calling a game.

Reaction Score
McDonough, Bilas, and Raftery is BY FAR the best team out there in college basketball.

Gus Johnson is the best play-by-play man out there (McD is a close second), not just because his late-game calls are awesome, but also because he somehow always seems to get games with crazy endings. I'm really starting to believe guys just play hard for him or something because it's been too large a sample size to be a coincidence.

Or God intervenes in his games like he does with Tebow.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I don't think Sean called that game. When I hear the "Cardiac Kemba" line, it certainly isn't Sean.

I could be mixing them up...McDonough may have called the night games with Bilas and Raftery.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Raff, Bill, and McDonaugh are my favorite combo, but I like Jim Nanz and Kellog as well. And of course, Gus Johnson and whoever else. Bob Knight is kind of entertaining sometimes, but Mussberger is annoying.

I stopped reading the thread after this response because its the right answer.

Reaction Score
The announcing team that can actually pronounce our players CORRECTLY!

none of that Jamaal Coombs McDavid or Rash Anderson or Tarik Brown

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Al McGuire was a good one and anyone that worked with him was made better.

Thank God. I can't believe Al was 14 posts in. Shows you how young the demographics skews here.

Reaction Score
The announcing team that can actually pronounce our players CORRECTLY!

none of that Jamaal Coombs McDavid or Rash Anderson or Tarik Brown

So that eliminates Lundquist. And the Enberg of the last decade.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
^ and Nantz. I'm pretty sure he said "Jamal Combs-McDonough" during the entire national championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom