Who is Hurley's Howie/Blaney? Does he have one? | The Boneyard

Who is Hurley's Howie/Blaney? Does he have one?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
With all the talk about whether or not Hurley is making the right in-game adjustments, I got to thinking about how JC frequently seemed to be discussing the game with Howie, then with Blaney.

I know Hurley and Moore were together at URI and I am guessing that's the closest thing he has to that type of relationship, but I haven't observed them enough to know whether it is.

Curious if anyone has insights, information or observations about this.

Reaction Score
As low key as Blaney came across, he brought a wealth of experience to both Calhoun's and Ollie's staffs.

I think Moore is the closest thing on Hurley's staff, but far less impactful due to Hurley's makeup and passion that may create blinders of sorts.

Hurley is fantastic in terms of program management and culture building. I hope he continues to develop as an in game coach, as it is clearly an area where some development is possible. We need to remember that this is his first gig at this level and much like Andre Jackson moving from high school to college there is a bit of an adjustment.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As low key as Blaney came across, he brought a wealth of experience to both Calhoun's and Ollie's staffs.

I think Moore is the closest thing on Hurley's staff, but far less impactful due to Hurley's makeup and passion that may create blinders of sorts.

Hurley is fantastic in terms of program management and culture building. I hope he continues to develop as an in game coach, as it is clearly an area where some development is possible. We need to remember that this is his first gig at this level and much like Andre Jackson moving from high school to college there is a bit of an adjustment.
Yes, this was my point. I agree that he's the right guy for the job, he's done a very good job in the areas that are his strengths, and I expect him to get better with age and experience.

I think he could benefit from the wisdom of another "gym rat" whose insights he values. I don't know if that's Moore or not but I agree he's probably the closest thing he has to it.

Those types of relationships seemed to be invaluable to Calhoun.

Reaction Score
I think this is a thought that crossed many minds. Blaney was the sounding board for Calhoun. For Hurley it's probably his dad. But one gets the feeling he needs someone on the staff to fill the role.

Reaction Score
I know we need to pick up and move on from JC, but I wonder how much (if at all) he talks to Hurley about the games (before or afterwards). You know, watching game film and identifying things Hurley can improve from seeing?

Reaction Score
I think this is a thought that crossed many minds. Blaney was the sounding board for Calhoun. For Hurley it's probably his dad. But one gets the feeling he needs someone on the staff to fill the role.
especially since dad isn't on the sideline. I wonder if his recruiting ability at previous stops didn't require great in game coaching...If you have better players than the other guys, you don't need to coach as well.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The question needs to be asked - does DH want to have any kind of sideline mentor?
Don't think it fits his personality/ego

I do know that if he has one now - I'd be looking for a change and quickly

Reaction Score
The setup for broadcasts during covid with teams below the camera makes it difficult to watch the coach interaction with the bench. I wonder why they are doing this? We see a lot of the coach from behind and no interaction with the staff or players for the most part. From what I have seen Hurley puts himself on an island during game action.

Reaction Score
He needs a guy who can keep track of the big picture, is capable of snapping Hurley out of game immersion mode, and will have an independent voice and say “no bueno” when it’s necessary.

Reaction Score

State of Connecticut heavily inve$ted in Hurley learning game management.

Reaction Score
Game management? Not sure I want to jump back into former UConn guys; but KEA could manage a game.

Nahhh

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I know we need to pick up and move on from JC, but I wonder how much (if at all) he talks to Hurley about the games (before or afterwards). You know, watching game film and identifying things Hurley can improve from seeing?
Reminds of that old line from Looie, "Hey Irish, it's tough enough coaching one team."

Reaction Score
Maybe he needs a more experienced assistant. Not sure. That said, Tom Moore isn't exactly a young coach anymore. He probably has more experience than Howie did when Howie took on the role as JCs right hand man.

I also don't like falling into the pattern where we are just looking for the last thing that worked. Not looking for the next thing that's going to work.

But in general, experienced assistants is a good thing. So hiring Bob Sr or some other experienced guy can't hurt.

Reaction Score
I don't imagine JC would want to offer advice unless DH asked for it, and after watching the 1996 Big East Championship game highlights John Silver included in his post about today's game, I think DH needs to call JC about how to run a fast break.

One play stood out. Travis Knight got a rebound and instantly turned and threw a 30 foot pass to Scheffer who lead the break to an easy basket. That type fast break score could probably be counted on one hand for DH's three years here.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
One play stood out. Travis Knight got a rebound and instantly turned and threw a 30 foot pass to Scheffer who lead the break to an easy basket. That type fast break score could probably be counted on one hand for DH's three years here.
Point guards with Doron's ability to lead a break can also be counted on one hand.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom