Who is High Point University? | The Boneyard

Who is High Point University?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
High Point University is a private liberal arts university in High Point, North Carolina. It is affiliated with the United Methodist Church. Founded as High Point College in 1924, it became High Point University in October 1991. HPU offers 47 undergraduate majors, 51 undergraduate minors and 12 graduate-degree majors. Enrollment: 5623. The Panthers earned their first appearance in the NCAA tournament this season by winning the Big South Conference tournament.

Sunday will be the first-ever meeting between High Point and UConn, and just the fourth time the Panthers will be playing a team that was a member of the Big East in the 2020-21 season. HPU played at Butler a year ago and has played Xavier twice on the road, all three of which have been losses. With UConn ending the season atop the AP and USA Today Coaches Polls, the first-round matchup between the two will be the 12th time the Panthers have played a ranked opponent and the first time playing the No. 1 team in the country. All previous meetings with a ranked opponent have ended in losses for the Purple and White, with the closest being a 16-point, 54-70, loss to No. 25 Vanderbilt in 2011. HPU hasn’t played a ranked opponent in a while, with the last time coming in 2017 against No. 11 Duke (L, 50-77). High point finished the season ranked by the NCAA at 183.

1615912739332.png

High Point Panthers Schedule 2020-21

Panthers Make History, Punch Ticket to NCAA Tournament

High Point roster

1615913238669.png

Chelsea Banbury - Head coach (2nd season) Alma Mater: FGCU '07.
Banbury was named the fifth Division I head coach of High Point University’s women’s basketball team in June 2019. During her first season as a collegiate head coach, Banbury lead High Point to a 16-13 record and a 14-6 mark in conference play for a third-place finish after being projected to finish in sixth.

She brought the three-point style of offense with her from Florida Gulf Coast, with the Panthers finishing the season third in the country in three-point attempts (917) and fifth in triples made (305), both school records. Under her tutelage, Camryn Brown became the fourth Panther in program history to be named the Big South Player of the Year, and just the fifth player in conference history to take home Player of the Year and Scholar-Athlete of the Year honors in the same season.

Banbury’s first season was cut short before HPU could compete in the quarterfinals of the Big South Tournament due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Banbury joined the Panthers after serving 11 years on the coaching staff at FGCU, including the last five as the Eagles’ associate head coach. During Banbury’s 11-year coaching career at FGCU, the Eagles produced a 306-72 overall record with a 173-13 conference record. The Eagles played in the NCAA Tournament or WNIT in all 11 seasons and captured nine regular season conference titles and six conference tournament crowns.

High point Game notes

High point season stats

UConn will face No. 16-seed High Point in the Round of 64 on Sunday at 8 p.m. EST on ESPN.

Massey's rating service predicts a UConn win of 90-46.

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I believe they announced that High Point averaged 10 made threes per game, one of the highest in the nation. they should be taken seriously.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This thread is right in your wheelhouse as our resident "pro-High Point supporter" How about a bit of background on the couch and team as you know them so well. The coaches pedigree is a great place to start as you few her as "an up and comer" to take over higher profile programs (much to your own chagrin).

Reaction Score
I didn't watch the selection show. At first I saw UConn will play with high point, and wonder why Geno has no mercy to the weak team?

Then I realize High Point is a university ..... :p .

Reaction Score
The recent parity we see in WCB is at the top. This year, 8 teams have a legitimate shot at the NC. It will come down to who is playing their best basketball when it counts. (It’s why I think Baylor will be a real challenge for UCONN.) Although, things seem to be improving throughout the sport, there is still a major gap in talent. High Point won their conference so, they are in the Tourney. But they would be close to the bottom of the standings in the BE. ( A conference that could only get 2 teams in the Tourney.). UCONN takes all their games seriously. If this game results in less than a 30 point win for UCONN, Geno will have a Zoom Meeting with the players that children should be banned from listening to.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This thread is right in your wheelhouse as our resident "pro-High Point supporter" How about a bit of background on the couch and team as you know them so well. The coaches pedigree is a great place to start as you few her as "an up and comer" to take over higher profile programs (much to your own chagrin).

Well she played at FGCU and was an assistant coach there for a decade. I expect her to be here for two more years max.. before she is snatched up by a bigger program. The past two HPU coaches have parlayed success into better jobs (Wake Forest, Miami of Ohio), so I'm just gonna enjoy it until that day comes. She is pretty young... and is a very intense coach on the sidelines. I sat behind the bench at a game last season...... probably five feet away from the coach...and was like :eek::eek::eek: .,,, this young lady has some fire.

I've labeled them FGCU North.... they play the same style.... five out offense... shoot a TON of threes.... combined with a lot of drives to the hoop. They essentially are a team full of guards... with every player having the green light beyond the 3 point line. Very little post up game.... Wyatt and Curran are about the only two who will attempt to get position down low. Probably the smallest team in the tournament.. the two tallest players are out for the year due to injury. They go 9 deep.... Curran was the conference player of the year.... Jensen Edwards is the straw the stirs the drink.

Looking at the NCAA statistics... HPU is #2 in the country in 3pt'ers attempted.... more than 130 more than Arkansas... #2 in 3pters made... #16 in 3pt percentage. Skylar Curran is #4 in the country in 3pters attempted... and #2 in 3pters made after Catilyn Clark of Iowa. She shoots it at a 42.5% clip.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Embarrassed to say I had never heard of them......and I live in Charlotte.........

:(
Ummmm. You may be asked to surrender your wcbb fan credentials. :confused:

Reaction Score
Embarrassed to say I had never heard of them......and I live in Charlotte.........

:(
As a Charlottian, you should at least have heard of High Point. Along with Greensboro and Winston-salem they are part of the Triad. They have a population north of 100,000 and are in top ten in population for NC cities. At one time their claim to fame was being the center of NC furniture manufacture. Furniture making in NC largely died during the 80s and 90s as cheap labor, much of it Chinese, killed the local manufactory - along with textiles. HP still hosts an annual furniture expo that is claimed to be the largest in the world. Very good BBQ can still be had there.

Many in NC don't count Charlotte as being a real part of the state. Charlotte is a big suburban area on the border of SC where you can go a whole day without hearing a Southern accent. Not having heard of HP is indicative of why Charlotte is viewed as not really in NC. I lived there for more than 10 years and found it a lovely place to live but when out and about in NC telling folks I lived there didn't break much ice.

Reaction Score
Interesting article on the reality of High Point University...

"A new type of college attempts to redefine what constitutes an “elite” education. Students live in the lap of luxury while learning how to accumulate it....And then there is High Point University."

- Has tripled in undergrad population over the past 16 years - to 4500."

- Trademarked tagline: "Premier Life Skills University"

- Entry level room & board is $15,438. "Tier 5" plan is an additional $12,256 (upgraded single room with your own bathroom).

- Competing as a luxury brand, in an "amenities arms race" with other elite schools: “If you want something to be popular with rich white people, tell rich white people they can’t have it.”

Reaction Score
I read an article that the couch is an older model, brown suede, and has a few rough spots.

Reaction Score
Interesting article on the reality of High Point University...

"A new type of college attempts to redefine what constitutes an “elite” education. Students live in the lap of luxury while learning how to accumulate it....And then there is High Point University."

- Has tripled in undergrad population over the past 16 years - to 4500."

- Trademarked tagline: "Premier Life Skills University"

- Entry level room & board is $15,438. "Tier 5" plan is an additional $12,256 (upgraded single room with your own bathroom).

- Competing as a luxury brand, in an "amenities arms race" with other elite schools: “If you want something to be popular with rich white people, tell rich white people they can’t have it.”
I checked out the campus about 10 years ago while in Greensboro for a convention. It had a very impressive student union with a nice outdoor pool. I never would have made it to class if I went there instead of UConn. The president is Nido Qubein who has written several popular books.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Fellow Charlottean here...

Not having heard of High Point is different than not knowing there was a D1 university there...

There are 18 NCAA D1 schools in NC, and I think you’d be hard pressed to find a fan of any sport that can name them all, and quite a few probably wouldn’t have heard of HPU, NC A&T, NC Central, or Garnder-Webb. No shame, @Urshurak

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A look inside of HPU's new basketball and conference center which opens up in the fall. I've driven by it a few times while in High Point.... Its very impressive from the outside. I've posted this video on the other board in a new arena thread. from 0 to the 2:48 mark highlights the arena section.

Not having heard of High Point is different than not knowing there was a D1 university there...

There are 18 NCAA D1 schools in NC, and I think you’d be hard pressed to find a fan of any sport that can name them all, and quite a few probably wouldn’t have heard of HPU, NC A&T, NC Central, or Garnder-Webb. No shame, @Urshurak

Well you know I know all 18 :p But I'm not a average fan.

NC A&T is a big brand among HBCU's.... but then again... alot of people don't even know what a HBCU is. :confused:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
A look inside of HPU's new basketball and conference center which opens up in the fall. I've driven by it a few times while in High Point.... Its very impressive from the outside. I've posted this video on the other board in a new arena thread. from 0 to the 2:48 mark highlights the arena section.

Well you know I know all 18 :p But I'm not a average fan.

NC A&T is a big brand among HBCU's.... but then again... alot of people don't even know what a HBCU is. :confused:

I would feel guilty having my peanut shells fall on the floor in that place.

Reaction Score
As a Charlottian, you should at least have heard of High Point. Along with Greensboro and Winston-salem they are part of the Triad. They have a population north of 100,000 and are in top ten in population for NC cities. At one time their claim to fame was being the center of NC furniture manufacture. Furniture making in NC largely died during the 80s and 90s as cheap labor, much of it Chinese, killed the local manufactory - along with textiles. HP still hosts an annual furniture expo that is claimed to be the largest in the world. Very good BBQ can still be had there.

Many in NC don't count Charlotte as being a real part of the state. Charlotte is a big suburban area on the border of SC where you can go a whole day without hearing a Southern accent. Not having heard of HP is indicative of why Charlotte is viewed as not really in NC. I lived there for more than 10 years and found it a lovely place to live but when out and about in NC telling folks I lived there didn't break much ice.
So, I live in Indian Land, SC, but work in Charlotte. Been here 9 years, but wouldn't consider myself a Charlottian. Been to Greensboro many times, not sure how I had never heard of High Point! I'll definitely be following them going forward, maybe even check out some games in person next season.

Reaction Score

Gardner-Webb is in NC? Just kidding!

Thanks @Argonaut, I'll definitely keep HP on my radar next season. Maybe next season, if we're allowed, I'll check out a few games in person.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom