Who is Charlie Creme? | The Boneyard

Who is Charlie Creme?

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
This was posted back in 2017, but, I still can't find any information on him, or his background. He works for ESPN, and just like ESPN, appears to be biased toward ACC, SEC teams. How much, if any influence does he have on the NCAA tournament brackets?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
It appears to the lay person that ESPN pays Charlie to publish his WBB Bracketology. I assume that he uses the same data that the Committee uses with a dash of his own opinions. And because the data sources are biased towards the P5 conferences, they make up most of the non automatic qualifying choices.
IMO.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
This was posted back in 2017, but, I still can't find any information on him, or his background. He works for ESPN, and just like ESPN, appears to be biased toward ACC, SEC teams. How much, if any influence does he have on the NCAA tournament brackets?
He's Lennie Creme's little brother.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
ZERO!

Reaction Score
Mel Kiper Jr
Imagine a grown man living in his Mom's basement (Baltimore area- hear the accent? That's a Bal'more accent) reading for years everything ever written about college football prospects. No one else was doing it. For some reason, it was his life. Gradually, over years, people began to respect his opinion and let's face it, he knows it all regarding college football prospects. Somehow the door to TV and ESPN comes ajar and Mel and his hair is exposed to the public. Take away Sports Center (but I like Scott) and like it or not ESPN has tremendous expertise in all sports.
Charlie Creme, who the heck is that?

Reaction Score
Joe Lunardi is the same way, the best bracketologist is Jerry Palm. He was the only one to nail all teams in 2016.
He had usc over Cuse, and Lunardi had cuse

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Creme has said he is not making out the brackets as he believes they should be but how he thinks the final committee will pick them. So any bias that may be perceived is just an attempt to get inside the procedures and heads of the committee who may have historical biases / trends.

I thought a while ago, one of our statistical BY experts did a comparison between his final predictions and the final results and he came out pretty well?

For fun, those that have the highest disdain should fill their own predictions of the committee and see how well / poorly you do against Creme with results shown on the BY of course.

Reaction Score
Creme went to St Bonaventure I think at the same time as Adrian Wojnarowski. He wrote for The Sports Network and used to help Joe Lunardi put together the yearly NCAA tournament guide. ESPN asked Lunardi to do a women’s bracket like he does for the men, he declined but recommended Creme.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Creme went to St Bonaventure I think at the same time as Adrian Wojnarowski. He wrote for The Sports Network and used to help Joe Lunardi put together the yearly NCAA tournament guide. ESPN asked Lunardi to do a women’s bracket like he does for the men, he declined but recommended Creme.
Let me know when Creme puts St. Bonaventure on the host line, :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
IMO the answer to this question is a vastly overrated journalist who with the help of ESPN has designated himself as the world's best Bracketologist. It is amazing to me that someone can milk a career and prestige mostly based on just that, but he and ESPN have.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Creme has said he is not making out the brackets as he believes they should be but how he thinks the final committee will pick them. So any bias that may be perceived is just an attempt to get inside the procedures and heads of the committee who may have historical biases / trends.

I thought a while ago, one of our statistical BY experts did a comparison between his final predictions and the final results and he came out pretty well?

For fun, those that have the highest disdain should fill their own predictions of the committee and see how well / poorly you do against Creme with results shown on the BY of course.
Exactly! I think he does an excellent job of predicting the brackets that the NCAA "should" publish if it follows its own rules, but it never does. So you can't expect Creme or anyone to psychoanalyze the committee members to predict how they will compromise their rules in a particular year's bracket.

He only claims to offer educated guesses, and he does that. What harm does that do? (I really don't understand the intensity of the criticism, not to mention the expectation that he should get the bracket 100% "right" per the Selection Committee or he is a charlatan.)

Reaction Score
No he has not “designated himself.” He was hired to do womens bracketology - a good thing! And ESPN promotes him - again a good thing.

This is a part time gig. I believe is in pharma sales or something.

No he has NO role in the NCAA bracketing.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
He's Lennie Creme's little brother.
Is Krispy a relative?
No he has not “designated himself.” He was hired to do womens bracketology - a good thing! And ESPN promotes him - again a good thing.

This is a part time gig. I believe is in pharma sales or something.

No he has NO role in the NCAA bracketing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
IMO the answer to this question is a vastly overrated journalist who with the help of ESPN has designated himself as the world's best Bracketologist. It is amazing to me that someone can milk a career and prestige mostly based on just that, but he and ESPN have.
1646321213570.jpeg

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Seeing that Charlie spends what apparently is a lot of time coming up with his brackets, it would not surprise me at all that members of the Selection Committee use his work as a guide. Afterall, he uses the same criteria that the Committee does.
(I have suggested the same thing in previous seasons and I have been criticized for even thinking it could happen, so here I go again.)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I googled him 3x and couldn't find any details about him, anywhere, other than ESPN bracketology. It's somewhat odd, as a lot of the talking heads were either college athletes, journalists, reporters, etc, etc, with a identifiable track record as to how they got from point A to now. Weird.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Show me one example of this.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
He's given plenty of interviews where he's talked about his background and how he got into bracketology. For those interested in attacking getting to know him, one of those interviews was on this episode of Charli Turner Thorne's podcast (starts around the 1:45 mark).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I googled him 3x and couldn't find any details about him, anywhere, other than ESPN bracketology. It's somewhat odd, as a lot of the talking heads were either college athletes, journalists, reporters, etc, etc, with a identifiable track record as to how they got from point A to now. Weird.
He's given plenty of interviews where he's talked about his background and how he got into bracketology. For those interested in attacking getting to know him, one of those interviews was on this episode of Charli Turner Thorne's podcast (starts around the 1:45 mark).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
All you folks trashing Creme for his “anti-UConn bias”, did you see this:

The Huskies' best chance to be placed [in Bridgeport] is to improve their seed. UConn was No. 9 overall on the committee's list Monday after being No. 11 in the reveal two weeks ago. With Paige Bueckers back, the Huskies are big favorites in the Big East tournament. Don't be surprised if UConn is a No. 2 seed and in the Bridgeport Regional after Championship Week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom