Who is (are) your favorite non-UCONN current professional hoops player(s)? | The Boneyard

Who is (are) your favorite non-UCONN current professional hoops player(s)?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not talking about anyone who was remotely related to UCONN either - like EDD who verbaled, committed, came to campus for a day or so, and transferred. And no past players - Tamika Catchings and Kara Lawson are probably 2 of the all time favorites for UCONN fans (in spite of their unfortunate college choice ;) ).

So basically current players in the WNBA - who is your favorite? Easiest to root for? Player you really want to come back from injury and do great?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
My short list:

Nneka Ogwumike
Courtney Williams
Megan Gustafson
Ariel Atkins
Kristy Wallace

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Chelsea Gray (of course) followed by the other Duke players.

Non-Duke?? Dearica Hamby and Cheyenne Parker

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As a Connecticut Sun season ticket holder, I would have to say Jonquel Jones. She has developed amazing basketball skills which are now at the Stewie/EDD/A'ja Wilson level, which was not the case when she was in college. I think that the Sun coaching staff had a lot to do with that. She also seems to be a humble person with a team-first attitude.

I am not sure whether she is a US citizen, but if she is, then she can make as good a case as Nneka for being snubbed for the Olympic team. Again, that refers to her current skill level, not her lifetime accomplishments, which at this point do not compare to Nneka's.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure what status Angel McCaughtry is, but oddly I really respect her USA basketball time and her joy with Geno.

Courtney Williams, Jewell Loyd, Alysha Clark, and Sylvia Fowles are other favorites and I like Griner too though she can frustrate at times.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Off the top of my head:

Natisha Hiedeman
Natasha Cloud
Alysha Clark
Ariel Atkins
Jonquell Jones

I said the other day, I love that the Sun have two mid-major players playing key roles.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
As a Connecticut Sun season ticket holder, I would have to say Jonquel Jones. She has developed amazing basketball skills which are now at the Stewie/EDD/A'ja Wilson level, which was not the case when she was in college. I think that the Sun coaching staff had a lot to do with that. She also seems to be a humble person with a team-first attitude.

I am not sure whether she is a US citizen, but if she is, then she can make as good a case as Nneka for being snubbed for the Olympic team. Again, that refers to her current skill level, not her lifetime accomplishments, which at this point do not compare to Nneka's.
Jonquel is from the Bahamas and is also a Bosnian citizen.

If she was American she'd be on the national team for sure. She's arguably the best player in the world right now.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Courtney Vandersloot

But that's too easy as a Sky fan. To completely eliminate homer picks, here are my non-ND, non-Sky picks:

Kelsey Plum
Allisha Gray
Dearica Hamby
Emma Meesseman

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There are lots:

Emma Meesseman
Jewell Loyd
Leilani Mitchell
Courtney Vandersloot
Alysha Clark
Courtney Williams
Sylvia Fowles
And more

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Some of these answers are making me very happy.

My bias runs toward players from my college teams (and there aren't many of those in the W, so that's easy), so Plum, Whitcomb, Wiese, Vandersloot.

Then I follow the Storm, because they are my local team. Unfortunately most of my favorites left this offseason. I miss Sami of course, as well as Clark and Howard. I think Loyd is my favorite current Storm player. For players I don't have any real ties to, I find myself appreciating Hamby and Meesseman.

edit--I forgot Nneka

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone except Liz Cambage and Skylar Diggins ... :p

Well I do like :
Jonquel Jones,
Sabrina Ionescu,
Jewell Loyd,
Kelsey Plum
and Megan Gustafson.
Cambage is quite funny. She always has smile on her face.

Reaction Score
Jonquel Jones, CT Sun
Sylvia Fowles, MN Linx
Brionna Jones, CT Sun
Erica Wheeler, L.A. Sparks
Alyssa Thomas, CT Sun

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
While I really didn't see much of her at Rutgers, Laney looks really good when I have seen a couple TV games. I do root for Rutgers alums and for our lone Arizona rookie.

Of the many named and "odd" choices - I always liked Leilani Mitchell. I like, but am frustrated by, Griner.

As a non-UConn fan - DT is by far my favorite player in the W. Because I see very few games, I really haven't developed fandom for very many players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom