Who is #5 in the Pac 12? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who is #5 in the Pac 12?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
OSU only played Stanford once.
Give them 3 more games against Cal and Washington and one against Stanford and they'd go 3-1, which would improve their record a fair bit.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Based on the last two weeks of play and the upcoming games, it's OSU as #5 and frankly it's not that close for #6 Colorado in terms of capability.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Give them 3 more games against Cal and Washington and one against Stanford and they'd go 3-1, which would improve their record a fair bit.
True, but OSU has also played both UCLA and Arizona only once, as well as missed Arizona State twice. Covid has played havoc with the Pac 12 schedule, giving and taking from different teams in different ways.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
True, but OSU has also played both UCLA and Arizona only once, as well as missed Arizona State twice. Covid has played havoc with the Pac 12 schedule, giving and taking from different teams in different ways.
That's true. Timing is everything, too. Early in the season OSU couldn't beat anybody, now I feel like they have a pretty good chance of beating any Pac 12 team other than Stanford.

Reaction Score
Currently:

USC 8-8
Colorado 7-8
Oregon St. 5-6
Arizona St. 5-7
Washington St. 7-10

I'm absolutely clueless how to actually rank them. Anybody else want to take a shot at it?
What about Oregon St (8 - 6), rated #23 by Massey, (+11 ratings change), followed by:

Washington St (10 - 10) #33 (-7 ratings change)
Colorado (10 - 9) #43 +5
USC (10 - 10) #49 -6
Arizona St (10 - 9) #60 -7

Oregon St is the quality team here.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The Pac 12 really dropped the ball this week. Except for the UCLA-USC game, all of the rivarly games to finish the regular season are on Sunday. That means most of the teams will have had a week between games, with ZERO postponed games being rescheduled. Why? Everybody could've gotten at least one, even 2 games made up.

Reaction Score
Poll:

Which women's basketball conference is worse? AAC or BE?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Poll:

Which women's basketball conference is worse? AAC or BE?
Are you excluding UConn? Because obviously the Huskies tip it to the BE in a landslide. If you pretend UConn doesn't exist, I'd probably still say the BE is stronger. Not following the AAC much, but I think after UCF and USF it drops off fast. BE has what, 3-5 reasonable quality teams vying for 2nd and lower in the standings.

Reaction Score
Yes, I should have asked which league presented stronger opponents (top to bottom) for UConn. Thanks for the clarifying question.

BTW, in my opinion it's a toss-up. They both stink, and I watch more BE games solely because of BE affinity/geography. UCF and USF gave us more competitive games than anyone in the BE, but the AAC bottom feeders were (barely) worse than the BE's.

Geno has a huge advantage over his top-ten counterparts. In league games he can experiment with different schemes, line-ups, and tactics, knowing the final outcome is highly unlikely to change UConn's poll position (aka post-season seeding). Dawn Staley, Kim Mulkey, Tara VanDerveer, Brenda Frese, et al don't have that luxury.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yes, I should have asked which league presented stronger opponents (top to bottom) for UConn. Thanks for the clarifying question.

BTW, in my opinion it's a toss-up. They both stink, and I watch more BE games solely because of BE affinity/geography. UCF and USF gave us more competitive games than anyone in the BE, but the AAC bottom feeders were (barely) worse than the BE's.

Geno has a huge advantage over his top-ten counterparts. In league games he can experiment with different schemes, line-ups, and tactics, knowing the final outcome is highly unlikely to change UConn's poll position (aka post-season seeding). Dawn Staley, Kim Mulkey, Tara VanDerveer, Brenda Frese, et al don't have that luxury.
Yeah, it's only year 1 but so far it appears the BE isn't going to present any more of a challenge to UConn than the AAC did. Maybe give them several years of seeing the Huskies regularly and DePaul, Marquette or a few others might be able to bring their level up at least somewhat.

Reaction Score
What about Oregon St (8 - 6), rated #23 by Massey, (+11 ratings change), followed by:

Washington St (10 - 10) #33 (-7 ratings change)
Colorado (10 - 9) #43 +5
USC (10 - 10) #49 -6
Arizona St (10 - 9) #60 -7

Oregon St is the quality team here.
I know head to head isn’t the end all but I can’t get past USC beating Wash St twice and recently. For some reason Wash St beating Oregon St twice doesn’t make me want to rank Wash St higher.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's only year 1 but so far it appears the BE isn't going to present any more of a challenge to UConn than the AAC did. Maybe give them several years of seeing the Huskies regularly and DePaul, Marquette or a few others might be able to bring their level up at least somewhat.
UConn and fans deserve a medal for getting through the Big East schedule without losing their pulse. What a drag.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I know head to head isn’t the end all but I can’t get past USC beating Wash St twice and recently. For some reason Wash St beating Oregon St twice doesn’t make me want to rank Wash St higher.
I can't get past USC getting blown out at home by both of the Oregon schools last weekend, with a possible Tourney berth on the line. They just kinda rolled over and played dead. But like I said in one of the game threads, just USC doing USC things. Trakh is recruiting well but I'm forecasting continued mediocrity from the Trojans in perpetuity.

Reaction Score
That win over Stanford certainly helped matters. We can all agree to neve speak of that game again, right?
Oh, in this quarter we will speak of that game often, sweet revenge for the two times they should have beaten Stanford the year before.

Reaction Score
Colorado also got Washington twice. Oregon St. only played the Huskies once.
Utah cancelled due to COVID. Just remember Colorado beat Stanford and would have beaten Arizona if they weren’t the worst free throw shooting team in the conference, missing 11 in a narrow loss in which they outplayed Arizona.

Reaction Score
Based on the last two weeks of play and the upcoming games, it's OSU as #5 and frankly it's not that close for #6 Colorado in terms of capability.
True, Colorado is far better than USC.

Reaction Score
The Utah pause might throw a wrench in the tournament. How would it work? Does the 5 seed automatically get a bye if Utah can’t play next week? I presume since they couldn’t play CO this week, they’re out?

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
The Utah pause might throw a wrench in the tournament. How would it work? Does the 5 seed automatically get a bye if Utah can’t play next week? I presume since they couldn’t play CO this week, they’re out?
I'm wondering that too.

Just as a guess, I think if it's already known tonight that Utah can't play Wednesday, the teams below Utah will move up a seed. Then the #5 will get a bye into round 2, as there will be no #12.

On the other hand, if Utah thinks they may be able to play, but they end up bailing out later, the Pac-12 may advance Utah's opponent on a "no contest" (effectively a forfeit, but doesn't count in anyone's record as a win or loss). That would avoid the unfairness of changing the pairings after teams have already begun preparing for their scheduled opponents.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Looks like the Pac12 Coaches had the top5 pretty much spot on but after that its a jumble. Big year for the Cougars of WSU.

PAC 12
PreseasonPost season
1​
StanfordStanford
2​
ArizonaArizona
2​
OregonUCLA
4​
UCLAOregon
5​
Oregon StateOregon State
6​
USCColorado
7​
ASUWashington State
8​
UtahUSC
9​
ColoradoASU
10​
CaliforniaUtah
11​
WashingtonWashington
12​
Washington StateCalifornia

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looks like the Pac12 Coaches had the top5 pretty much spot on but after that its a jumble. Big year for the Cougars of WSU.

PAC 12
PreseasonPost season
1​
StanfordStanford
2​
ArizonaArizona
2​
OregonUCLA
4​
UCLAOregon
5​
Oregon StateOregon State