Who here listens to audiobooks? | The Boneyard

Who here listens to audiobooks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Looking to find an audiobook service/app that's cheap and has a large selection of books. I've really only heard of audible

Reaction Score
UCbcm said:
I'm not familiar with audio book apps but if you haven't listened to the SERIAL podcasts yet, I recommend them. Great for long commutes, but there is only one "season" so far
And once you finish SERIAL, turn to Undisclosed. Awesome follow-up to SERIAL.

Reaction Score
I listen to audiobooks and use audible.

I also subscribe to about 15 podcasts.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I have gotten away from it for a while, but I read (listened to) hundreds of books for free through the public library connection to "OverDrive" (there is an app that allows you to use your phone to download the books if you have the right library card number and was also able to get it through itunes, but more of a hassle) and some other sources. This has a listing of a lot of libraries in CT, but may be available in other areas/states (or something similar).

When you listen to audiobooks, you come to recognize some very talented people who read the books. They have become real performances.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I listen to podcasts but was thinking about getting into audiobooks and wasn't sure which service is the best

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have a long commute - I'm in the car at least three hours most days.

I only listen to audiobooks, podcasts, and recently, Apple Music. The radio presets on my car are whatever they were when we got it because I've never even turned the FM receiver on.

The cheapest audiobooks are free - Open Culture, Project Gutenberg, etc. Most of the narration sucks and some of it is even computer-generated. But it's free, so there you are.

The best audiobooks are on Audible.com. I'm not sure what it costs, but I have the one-credit-a-month plan - basically, that's a book a month, so I tend to buy the longest books possible. (I am now an expert on wars because war books tend to be 40-50 hours long.)

Even though he is a nitwit, I agree with Dogbreath - you start to appreciate how good some of the narrators are. George Guidall could read Chinese menus for three hours and you'd listen. David McCullough narrates some of his own books and those are outstanding. The guy who played one of the guys who drilled a hole in an asteroid in one of those dopey Michael Bay movies is a great narrator, too.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
all these use a lot of data huh? or you download them to your phone? this is all new to me. I read physical books but im in the car a lot and would like to at least listen to the books if I can

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Fwiw, a CT library card allows you to borrow from pretty much any public library in the state, so there are many CD sets available as well.

and yes...
George Guidall could read Chinese menus for three hours and you'd listen.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Fwiw, a CT library card allows you to borrow from pretty much any public library in the state, so there are many CD sets available as well.

and yes...

Free online downloads from some out of state godforsaken place....how about White Plains, NY?

Link

And let's say this hellhole has free access to Overdrive audio library downloads:

Overdrive Link

It's kind of like Netflix, lots of non-new release options. One could get a library card and listen to about 20 David Baldacci novels, Michael Connelly novels, the Jack Reacher series (which is a lot of fun even though Tom Cruise almost ruined it), Game Of Thrones (the narrator does like 100-200 different voices, IIRC), etc. There are a couple more sites in addition to Overdrive as well.

If anyone is interested, the Overdrive app on a smart phone is the easier way to download books compared to trying to use itunes (which is doable, but more complicated).

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Free online downloads from some out of state godforsaken place....how about White Plains, NY?

Link

And let's say this hellhole has free access to Overdrive audio library downloads:

Overdrive Link

One could get a library card and listen to about 20 David Baldacci novels, the Jack Reacher series (which is a lot of fun even though Tom Cruise almost ruined it), Game Of Thrones (the narrator does like 100-200 different voices, IIRC), etc. There are more sites as well.

If anyone is interested, the Overdrive app on a smart phone is the easier way to download books compared to trying to use itunes (which is doable, but more complicated).
thanks, i'll try it out... i have no storage on my phone for some reason. i barely have any songs or apps

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I emptied out a couple of towns libraries of all the books on CDs I was interested in.
Then I joined Audible for $15 a month you get a credit for any book. They also have specials where you can add an additional book free.
Does not use up my data. Good quality, good narrators.

Reaction Score
What are some favorite audiobooks. I loved The Count of Monte Cristo, and The Looming Tower, also 1963 by S King.

Reaction Score
I used to take out college lectures for long drives - usually history stuff - some of them were fantastic...ironic considering the number of college lectures I skipped while in college. Nowadays, I go the podcast route.

Reaction Score
If you like action thrillers, Stuart Woods series of Stone Barrington, former NYPD now lawyer and buddy DINO, NYPD detective. The series has 25 separate cases. Each book is approx. 10-12 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom