Who has coverage for today's game? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who has coverage for today's game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Games are on CBSSN because that network has a deal with the American to televise games.
Deals = money.
Money = good for conference.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Games are on CBSSN because that network has a deal with the American to televise games.
Deals = money.
Money = good for conference.
That makes sense. But it is a pain in the tookus and the same corporate games involving the BCS and media.

JS

Reaction Score
DD and Ice, kindly knock it off.

Some people are looking at this thread to find out how they can view the game, not to find out through multiple posts how much you annoy each other.

Reaction Score
This reminds me of Ali - Frazier IlI.
Come on you 2. Post and makeup.
And please, no more about if Saniya shoots a jumper.
That was already discussed ad nauseum and definitively decided that she did not !!!!!!;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The game is probably available for free here:
http://firstrowus1.eu/sport/basketball.html

CAVEAT: Do not open any ad, do not download any "updates", watch only the free SD not the HD and be sure you have an ad blocker and malware software. This site is pretty sketchy but as long as you don't click on anything you'd be fine.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, CBSSN has broadcast one UConn game per year since the 2008-2009 season, i.e, even when CPTV was broadcasting UConn games.

I understand. But lots of seniors don't get SNY that had CPTV. I like SNY but poorer seniors often just have basic. It is too bad.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It funny that this game is on obscure cable while Channel 3 is showing a useless Big 10 game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I know the corporate games are a a pain and one reason the sports network affiliates claim games like Uconn is part of their battle with cable operators to carry their chanel and to include it in lower rent packages (why the B10 sleeper is on CBS for example.)
But the other side of this equation is a BIG positive for women's basketball - it isn't so long ago that the CPTV package was a freak occurrence and you couldn't pay folks to broadcast women's games. So, while it may be a pain and every once in a while I forget to check the schedule and miss some or all of a game because I am relying on my scheduled SNY recording, for the good of the game I appreciate the competition to broadcast Uconn.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On additional thought - I quite enjoyed the crew today, and i especially like the variety - I find pretty much any announcing team wears on me if I hear them too often, so with all the different networks and for some the variation in teams provides a pleasant relief for the SNY team.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I know the corporate games are a a pain and one reason the sports network affiliates claim games like Uconn is part of their battle with cable operators to carry their chanel and to include it in lower rent packages (why the B10 sleeper is on CBS for example.)
But the other side of this equation is a BIG positive for women's basketball - it isn't so long ago that the CPTV package was a freak occurrence and you couldn't pay folks to broadcast women's games. So, while it may be a pain and every once in a while I forget to check the schedule and miss some or all of a game because I am relying on my scheduled SNY recording, for the good of the game I appreciate the competition to broadcast Uconn.
Yes, I realize that. That is part of the corporate games involved. In central PA this year we had a battle between the Big Ten network and the local cable carrier. The cable company kept saying the the Big Ten wanted a 30% increase in its fee per viewer. The cable company keep saying this would result in a monthly increase of several dollars to customers to cover the expense. People were outraged at the price gouging by the Big Ten network until someone had done research and found out the actual increase was only about 30% 0f $ .27 or .09 per customer. The cable carrier was exploiting the situation. DirecTV gained numerous customers as a result.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am talking about the UCONN schedule being split up to numerous sources all of which must be bought separately in order to see the games. A couple of regular networks plus SNY are fine but for my folks who have limited economic resources and mental facilities to have to track down individual games and purchase channels for one month and then to remember to cancel them again because they will be on auto renew is to me corporate economic games. Watching the Red Sox and UCONN SPORTS is their basic joy and the complexity of this for them irritates me, especially, given the cost of service to start with.

Sorry, Meyers, but trying to take care of my folks as they diminish in their abilities just has me frustrated. I've wiping butts and changing sheets doing laundry three times a day and simply wish I had better solutions to maximize their ease and enjoyment of the small things.
I understand schedules moving around and sometimes it's not as easy to find who has/where the games are. Lots of people want the action. Just don't see how it's corporate games. It's not like they are trying to trick people and make people miss the games. Seems like a CBS sports network would be a lot more accessible than a more localized SNY.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I understand schedules moving around and sometimes it's not as easy to find who has/where the games are. Lots of people want the action. Just don't see how it's corporate games. It's not like they are trying to trick people and make people miss the games. Seems like a CBS sports network would be a lot more accessible than a more localized SNY.
The cop orate games bit is between the networks and cable companies and ties into the things ESPN used to pull when they introduced ESPNU - putting high profile games on that channel to create pressure on the operators to carry the channel. A few of the CT operators as I remember were resisting and suddenly Uconn ESPN broadcasts all seemed to hit that channel. CBS being part of all basic line-ups and CBSSN being a special tier channel, CBS putting the likely higher audience game on the SN channel suggests some pressure play with their distributors.
I think that was what Ice was trying to imply.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The cop orate games bit is between the networks and cable companies and ties into the things ESPN used to pull when they introduced ESPNU - putting high profile games on that channel to create pressure on the operators to carry the channel. A few of the CT operators as I remember were resisting and suddenly Uconn ESPN broadcasts all seemed to hit that channel. CBS being part of all basic line-ups and CBSSN being a special tier channel, CBS putting the likely higher audience game on the SN channel suggests some pressure play with their distributors.
I am aware of all that. Just doesn't seem like it fits in this instance. That any specific "corporate games" were being played in this instance.

Reaction Score
An addendum to my previous post and and early heads-up: Rutgers at UConn on March 1 will also be carried on CBSSN.

According to the schedule I have CBSSN is also broadcasting the USF game in Tampa.

That make three bites of the apple this year.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
The cop orate games bit is between the networks and cable companies and ties into the things ESPN used to pull when they introduced ESPNU - putting high profile games on that channel to create pressure on the operators to carry the channel. A few of the CT operators as I remember were resisting and suddenly UConn ESPN broadcasts all seemed to hit that channel. CBS being part of all basic line-ups and CBSSN being a special tier channel, CBS putting the likely higher audience game on the SN channel suggests some pressure play with their distributors.

I don't think that this is an example of the corporate games as portrayed in your post. If you want to blame anyone I think you can blame ESPN. They were a big part of CBSSN getting a contract with the American per this article.

Having UConn WBB is a boost to their ratings and I'm sure CBSSN wants that as much as possible for their own good and growth. I don't think this has anything directly to do with moving a game to that network specifically for the purposes of pressuring cable companies other than to generally raise thier own profile which every company tries to do. this was not a game CBS owned and moved down. This was a game CBSSN owned as part of their overall rights contract with the American.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't think that this is an example of the corporate games as portrayed in your post. If you want to blame anyone I think you can blame ESPN. They were a big part of CBSSN getting a contract with the American per this article.

Having UConn WBB is a boost to their ratings and I'm sure CBSSN wants that as much as possible for their own good and growth. I don't think this has anything directly to do with moving a game to that network specifically for the purposes of pressuring cable companies other than to generally raise thier own profile which every company tries to do. this was not a game CBS owned and moved down. This was a game CBSSN owned as part of their overall rights contract with the American.
That is likely all true, Biff, but to me it is still all games and manipulation resulting in a real pain in the ... for my folks. Honestly, at the moment beyond that it is all irrelevant.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I respect all the corporate games stuff, but agree with those who indicated it didn't apply in the situation described.

I seethe every time I put on my DirecTV - which I love - and realize I cannot see the PAC12 network for the corporate games reason. Also apparently can't see the weather channel (although, to be honest, I don't often watch it). Next year they are going to play games with NFL Sunday Ticket - and if they don't end up carrying it, that will cost them my business.

I support carriers to some degree - I get why a DirecTV would not carry the Longhorn Network because it doesn't have a lot of general interest content. But if they don't carry the SEC, as well as the PAC, I think they are only hurting themselves. The PAC websites carry ads to encourage you to drop DirecTV, since DISH carries the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom