Who had 19-12 for the 2020 regular season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who had 19-12 for the 2020 regular season?

Reaction Score
Hurley and the players have done a sensational job. Almost any team that loses all the games in the type of painful fashion we have and lose two starters to devastating injuries would have folded up, this team has gotten dramatically better.

Reaction Score
I firmly felt this team was a lock for the tourney, meaning 20+ wins. Dunno about next year, especially if Bouknight goes pro.

Reaction Score
Hurley and the players have done a sensational job. Almost any team that loses all the games in the type of painful fashion we have and lose two starters to devastating injuries would have folded up, this team has gotten dramatically better.
I think that's a very good point. After all those gut punches I kept thinking were were due to be blown out. That the collective weight of those losses would lead to collapse. It never happened. It's a real testament to the character of this pack of Huskies and their coach.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Interesting comments about how it appears that as each time we lost players, the team played better. Indicating, to me, the setbacks caused the remaining players to bond together; to play together. It also provided Bouk and Gaff with more playing time. But the key to the improvement was the obvious buy in to the team concept from CV and AI.

I guess hope the recognition of a team learning to fight through hard times will put to rest the foolishness of not going to the NIT with a short roster.

Reaction Score
I predicted 19 wins at end of regular season. I didn't do that math so wasn't sure how many losses that would mean. And I said we would be on the bubble. Then I get grilled for saying that because many responded saying that if we only have 19 wins we will certainly not be on the bubble...well...here we are.

And I totally consider this a successful season. We literally have a better record than last year which shows objective improvement but their are so many improvements you can see that are not on paper as well (culture, effort, team ball, etc). The Hurley haters are hiding now

Well, not bad expect for the bubble part. We aren't on the bubble. Maybe the bubble of the bubble.

Reaction Score
Well, not bad expect for the bubble part. We aren't on the bubble. Maybe the bubble of the bubble.
I didn’t word my response correctly. We split with Tulsa so we have a win against them. We beat Cincinnati, Houston and Tulsa but we weren’t able to pull out a win against Wichita State at home where we’ve been able to win most of our games, including some of the toughest teams. That’s why I’m most worried about a second round match up against a Wichita state team on the bubble playing for their season as well. We do look like a different team now though. The first 35 minutes of that game included a lot of bricked threes, Carlton giving the ball away in the post and AG driving and throwing it up. Bouk did play well at the end so if we can get him going early, jack up fewer 3 bricks and Whaley holds his own down low we can win. If we make it through Wichita I like our chances the rest of the way.

Reaction Score
Interesting comments about how it appears that as each time we lost players, the team played better. Indicating, to me, the setbacks caused the remaining players to bond together; to play together. It also provided Bouk and Gaff with more playing time. But the key to the improvement was the obvious buy in to the team concept from CV and AI.

Last sentence is key. Early on, a handful of people wanted those two practically ripped off the court and thrown on the bench after every poor decision. Those kind of things might feel good to watch in the moment (“yeah, get him!!”), but it’s not what this team needed, for a lot of reasons- the backup talent is young, the older players (especially Vital) and coaches were still feeling each other out, there’s a difference in the relationship between coaching a guy for 3 or 4 years than 1 or 2, they needed everyone locked in and ready to contribute to have any kind of success.

Right now, this group is set up to do pretty much anything the coaching staff asks. That takes time and trust and relationship building, and it makes every future decision easier and better able to just be about basketball (the current program is closer to being a real UConn one, get it or go). Every thing moving forward is better because of how they got to this point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I guess hope the recognition of a team learning to fight through hard times will put to rest the foolishness of not going to the NIT with a short roster.
It seems to me that they got better because they replaced the minutes with better players.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
It seems to me that they got better because they replaced the minutes with better players.
The improvement in ball movement and commitment to pressure defense are the two major differences in the team.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Very strange year in that the more we lost players the better we became. In hindsight, the roster was such as we entered pre-season camp that much better than 19 wins was possible. It took Hurley and the team a lot of time to find a rotation and style that made them their best. (Which, by the way, was something we never saw from Calhoun who may have been the best ever in figuring out almost immediately what rotation and style were going to produce wins).

That having been said, the record is certainly an improvement from where we've been, and is somewhat remarkable given what we've had to overcome (not just the two season ending injuries but Bouk and Gaffney being slow to find their roles due to behavior and nagging injuries, Carlton and Gilbert melting down as the season projected and Sid being unable to figure things out).

I'd say I like what we've accomplished in terms of what it tells me going forward, except that would mean I'm not focused on Tulane and the rest of this season. Which I am.

Great quote from Penny from yesterday's conference call, "Once UConn hit their stride, then their stars were allowed to be stars,” Memphis coach Penny Hardaway said on a media teleconference with AAC coaches Monday. “And there wasn’t a lot of competition. You could just tell they found an identity, with Christian Vital and James [Bouknight] being their go-to-guys and everybody else just rallying around that. As a group, Danny [Hurley] has them playing really hard and they found their groove and there is nothing better to a coach than when you know who you are".

Reaction Score
I thought based on the roster we would be 20+ wins. Then once we started losing I wasn't sure we would end up better than .500. Nice finish and will be in a post season tournament. Big Dance would be great - but I'm happy with NIT if that's what it comes to.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I certainly wouldn't have had 19 wins if I knew Polley and Akok would lose that much time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom