Who Guards Aari McDonald or What Defense does Geno Come Up With. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who Guards Aari McDonald or What Defense does Geno Come Up With.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Other than Baptiste and McDonald, that's where the threats end. If UConn plays their normally great defense, this shouldn't be close.
While I don't really expect it to be close, Baptiste is not the only threat. While no one compares to Aari, the truth of the matter from someone who has seen Arizona every national TV game - and last year frequently live - Thomas, Puello and especially Reese are capable of being threats. One of the reasons that Arizona was a 3 seed is that they are not consistent and rarely firing on all cylinders. Aari is not consistent, either.

But those 3 can all hit unexpected timely shots.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
While I don't really expect it to be close, Baptiste is not the only threat. While no one compares to Aari, the truth of the matter from someone who has seen Arizona every national TV game - and last year frequently live - Thomas, Puello and especially Reese are capable of being threats. One of the reasons that Arizona was a 3 seed is that they are not consistent and rarely firing on all cylinders. Aari is not consistent, either.

Pellington has had a few good games as well.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Pellington has had a few good games as well.
Yes, but at least in the games I have seen she seemed less than advertised. Because I don't get the PAC network it was hard to follow this season, because I am not a box score or game article reader - I'll glance and move on.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
If UConn wins the NC, the tournament officials should have antonelli and peck present the trophy to Geno. That would be a Kodak moment. Then the next week, Geno could send both of them an autographed photo of that moment. They both would probably laugh when they received it, then put it in their birdcage. ?
Like Goddel giving trophies to Belichek, Brady or Kraft

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
It will be Arizona vs UConn at the Final Four. Who Guards or how does UConn defend Aari McDonald?
See the Iowa Sweet Sixteen game for how UCONN guarded Caitlin Clark, the best guard in women's college basketball after Paige Bueckers of course. The real question might be is McDonald a better defender than Didi Richards? Second important question is McDonald's nicknamed AariD similar to her cousin, MickeyD? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It will be Arizona vs UConn at the Final Four. Who Guards or how does UConn defend Aari McDonald? She's the go to player for Arizona and UConn doesn't have the quickness to cover her. Will we have a similar result on how Morgan Williams of Miss St beat UConn? Arizona is not a team to overlook. How many balls has Aari stolen tonight because the Indiana players wasn't paying attention to where Aari was.
Think Iowa

Reaction Score
If Nika can play, Nika.
If she isn’t playing, Williams mostly with Evina spelling her at times.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
We can't be overconfident!! Don't forget Mississippi State. The present team didn't experience that loss, so lets just chill and hope that Geno can keep them grounded.

Reaction Score
McDonald is a much different player that Clark. Smaller and shiftier, but needs more space to get shots off. The strategy should be a little different. I don’t think anyone we have can necessarily stay with her off the bounce, so the key will be to funnel her where we want her to go and into help defense. I don’t think she’s going to make many runners over ONO and AE, so take away the step back where she creates space and force her to see multiple defenders. She was effective driving and finding three-point shooters against Indiana, so knowing who to sag off of outside is also important - and keeping high and wide hands in the passing lanes for deflections.

She’s been shooting well lately, but I’d still consider forcing her to make one or two before selling out running her off the line - she’s been inconsistent behind the arc this year, and Final Four pressure could be a thing. But if she hits one or two, you have to make her a driver - and our help defenders need to challenge without fouling.

Reaction Score
What! I completely disagree with that. Clark clearly is better than McDonald and I doubt Az would have an advantage at any other position either.
While I agree that Clark is better then McDonald the AP and coaches polls have Arizona highly ranked and Iowa is not top 25. They are very good but Az. Was better this year.

Reaction Score
While I agree that Clark is better then McDonald the AP and coaches polls have Arizona highly ranked and Iowa is not top 25. They are very good but Az. Was better this year.
Defense is why. Arizona defends very well (they’ve only given up more than 60 points twice in the last 15 games - one went OT and one was 62 to Stanford), and Iowa is the worst in the country at it. If McDonald scores 30 and they hold their opponent to 60, games become pretty winnable. If Clark scores 30 and Iowa gives up 90, they need a lot more.

Reaction Score
What about pulling out some tricks from the South Florida Courtney Williams years.... I'm sure Geno can build on some strategies they used to slow her down just a few years ago.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Arizona can't guard UCONN's bigs, won't be able to stop Bueckers or Williams, 30 plus point win with UCONN scoring in the 90's!
As an Arizona fan I'm more willing to concede the possibility of a 30 point loss than the possibility of allowing 90.

Arizona is a good defensive team. Largely, it is a defensive team, the offense is variable and inconsistent at best.

If - and it is a big if - Arizona can stay out of foul trouble - then Connecticut - if they indeed win big and they can - would be because of the Connecticut defense, which is no slouch either.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the NCAA said anything to Paige and Caitlin on the hugging after the game?
They were guarding each other closely during the game. Does a post game hug really matter?

Reaction Score
I am surprised to hear that Arizona player 'McDonald' is a 6th year graduate playing student ! At this stage, should she not be playing in the women's 'pro league' ?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I am surprised to hear that Arizona player 'McDonald' is a 6th year graduate playing student ! At this stage, should she not be playing in the women's 'pro league' ?
She's not. This is her 5th year, she sat out one season after transferring following her Fr. season.

You're gonna be disappointed next season, there are gonna be a bunch of 6th year players, and even at least one 7th year player (at Indiana).

Reaction Score

right you are...............if their streaky shooters get hot they can keep the game close and possibly even pull out a win.............if they're cold UConn by 15 pts easy.............

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom