Who Goes Higher In The Draft: Gabby or Kia? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who Goes Higher In The Draft: Gabby or Kia?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
But Kia is a better scorer than Gabby so I'm not following your logic here.
It goes back to getting one's own shot. In many cases, Kia scores because Gabby or someone else has beaten their defender and drawn Kia's defender away to provide help, and then Kia gets a wide-open shot after someone makes a pretty pass to her. Or she scores on a fast break because she is very good at bleeding out of her defensive assignment as soon as she recognizes that a teammate is going to get a rebound or a steal. She recognizes that two steps before the player she is guarding does -- a real skill that causes her to get a lot of touchdown passes from teammates that she converts into layups.

At the WNBA level, most guards will be able to do those things, and opponents are better able to stop them, so she will have to have good 1-on-1 moves to get a lot of her scores. In my opinion, that is where Kelly (unlike Tiffany Hayes) failed to make a dent in the WNBA -- she needed help from teammates to get a scoring opportunity. I thought Kelly had a more impactful UConn career that her classmate Tiff, but at the pro level the opposite has been the case.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I've seen that site before, and I find it reaaaaaally doubtful they have any inside information.

Plum went to San Antonio. They just weren't very good, not really in turmoil.

The site, suspect you are right. My bad on Dallas. But San Antonio coach and GM (Riley??) could not explain or implement a plan involving Plum and Mo Jeff, much to the consternation of the WNBA press. I would hope that Mo ends up on a different club than Plum this season. Lambier and Vegas , perfect together!

Reaction Score
Gabby probably has the better upside, but I would not be at all surprised if Kia has the better rookie year...or maybe even the better 2-3 initial years.

Kia's game, while workmanlike and not very flashy, carries over more easily. She's a guard sized player who can shoot from distance, and who will not be badly shamed while defending the average WNBA guard (not the best guards, but then not many WNBA veterans can defend the best guards consistently).

Put her on the right team - e.g. an already good team that just needs more guard depth - and she will do her job well.

Gabby, on the other hand, is going to have a bigger adjustment period. She can do a lot of things at a high level - rebounding, passing, defending, etc. But the offense is gonna be a problem. She's simply not going to be able to live at the rim as much as she does in college. The spotty midrange and nonexistent 3-ball is going to be something that will need to be overcome. I suspect she'll focus that hard after leaving UConn, though.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
"Getting her own shot" means not needing a screen or a scoring threat elsewhere on the court to get open. When Kia scores in UConn games, it is either on the fast break because the opponent turned the ball over or failed to cover the court in transition defense (which will happen a lot less in the WNBA), or she takes a 3-point shot after somebody else has drawn two or three defenders, including her defender who helped off her to stop KLS / Napheesa / Azura, so that when Kia gets the pass from that besieged teammate, she has a wide open shot.

Whereas Gabby (and really everyone else among the Top 6) can wriggle through a slight crevice in the defense, blow by a taller/slower post player, or fake a defender out of her gym shoes to get open, Kia has to rely on the play of teammates to get herself open. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is something that distinguishes Top 6 WNBA draft choices from those slightly lower in the draft sweepstakes.

Agree 100%. I think Gabby is more skilled in every aspect besides perimeter shooting. She has the athleticism to play the 3 in the pros, but in a pinch she can slide to the 4 like how Maya does at times.

Kia can be a solid pro as a more specialized player but doesn’t have the same upside that Gabby does. If Gabby looks to score more and improves her outside shooting she could become a major star.

Reaction Score
A mock WNBA draft chosen by panel of league's coaches, GMs

WNBA GMs:
  1. Aja
  2. Mitchell
  3. DeShields
  4. Vadeeva
  5. Lexie
  6. Mercedes
  7. Gabby
  8. Canada
  9. Nurse
  10. Vivians
  11. Billings
  12. Shakayla Thomas

I have not been impressed by Mitchell. She throws up junk shots like nobody's business. Sloppy and not team-oriented. I think she's going to bomb in the WNBA. Also, Deshields is a nightmare for team cohesion. I would pick both Gabby and Kia ahead of DD any day of the week. Woe to the team that has to deal with her ego and immaturity.

Also would take Gabby over Mercedes Russell. Overrated, for sure.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It goes back to getting one's own shot. In many cases, Kia scores because Gabby or someone else has beaten their defender and drawn Kia's defender away to provide help, and then Kia gets a wide-open shot after someone makes a pretty pass to her. Or she scores on a fast break because she is very good at bleeding out of her defensive assignment as soon as she recognizes that a teammate is going to get a rebound or a steal. She recognizes that two steps before the player she is guarding does -- a real skill that causes her to get a lot of touchdown passes from teammates that she converts into layups.

At the WNBA level, most guards will be able to do those things, and opponents are better able to stop them, so she will have to have good 1-on-1 moves to get a lot of her scores. In my opinion, that is where Kelly (unlike Tiffany Hayes) failed to make a dent in the WNBA -- she needed help from teammates to get a scoring opportunity. I thought Kelly had a more impactful UConn career that her classmate Tiff, but at the pro level the opposite has been the case.

I think there's a space for catch-and-shoot sharpshooters in the WNBA, especially when they play defense as well as Kia does. Also, I seem to remember she was able to get her own shot when she blowtorched the USA at the 2015 Pan Am Games. I think she may be more capable of getting her own shot than people realize. On the other hand, you watch a lot more of Kia than I do, so I appreciate the feedback.

My concern with Gabby is that WNBA defenses will just sag off of her. Maybe her passing/freakish athleticism will be enough to make up for that, though.

At any rate, I expect both to be very good pros (UConn players always are) so it's really just a matter of how good each will be exactly. It sounds like the consensus is that Gabby will go the earlier of the two. I wouldn't be surprised if Kia has more success right out the gate. If Gabby hones a jumper...watch out. Sky is the limit.

Reaction Score
January Mock Draft. Supposedly to be updated. Haven't seen an update. This one made me a little air sick:

A mock WNBA draft chosen by panel of league's coaches, GMs
There is no way Hughes is picking a guard in this draft, Seattle needs inside help, Sue, Jewell, Alexis Peterson, along with Noelle Quinn, and Sami Whitcomb are their guards. You also have Alysha Clark, and KML who are more guards then forwards. Seattle was the 2nd worst rebounding team, even with Stewie, they need a big center.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Howard Megdal is as plugged in as anyone with regards to these things.

His mock has Gabby at 4 and Kia at 7.

2018 WNBA Draft Big Board, v. 3.0: Ranking underclassmen

Re Kia:
"It’s not like Nurse was a secret, playing for the highest-profile program in the country, but sometimes individual skills can be lost in the shuffle at UConn when there are so many players doing so much, and no one needs to do it all. But Nurse, with the size to defend twos and even some threes at the next level, showed she could decimate the attack of Durr, who several WNBA evaluators have told me would be their top pick in the 2019 draft right now."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Howard Megdal is as plugged in as anyone with regards to these things.

His mock has Gabby at 4 and Kia at 7.

2018 WNBA Draft Big Board, v. 3.0: Ranking underclassmen

Re Kia:
"It’s not like Nurse was a secret, playing for the highest-profile program in the country, but sometimes individual skills can be lost in the shuffle at UConn when there are so many players doing so much, and no one needs to do it all. But Nurse, with the size to defend twos and even some threes at the next level, showed she could decimate the attack of Durr, who several WNBA evaluators have told me would be their top pick in the 2019 draft right now."

Very nice find my Orange friend.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I don't think it's a lock that Gabby goes before Kia. As far as I'm concerned, Kia is virtually a lock to be a good WNBA player, and she's pro-ready. She's big, strong, tough, shoots well on all parts of the floor, is and excellent passer and an excellent defender. The one place I see her potentially lacking is speed. Will she be a great WNBA player? Maybe, but I don't think it's highly likely.

With respect to Gabby, Geno said recently, "We created a position for Gabby." A WNBA team isn't going to do that. My concern about her all along is she doesn't have a well-defined position now. I think she'll probably be a 3 in the W, but how will the GMs and coaches evaluate her as a 3? I think on the right team with the right coaches and system, she has the potential to be a great pro, but I think she's more of a gamble than Kia.

I'm not prognosticating, as the WNBA draft often leaves me shaking my head.

Oh, and as far as that mock draft from a couple of months ago, I really don't see Kelsey Mitchell going second. But the WNBA draft (once again) often leaves me shaking my head.

Reaction Score
I have read this several times from several people and I don't understand it. How do you define "get her own shot"?
Not to be argumentative but I truly don't understand this question. Kia's shooting is very good when she's got a good amount of room between her and her defender.
When closely guarded she is unable to put the ball on the floor and get by her defender. Let's not confuse this with her non-stop motor and running past players to make breakaways.
I believe Gabby will go amongst the first 3-5 players and at best Kia is bottom of the first round. Because of all her incidental traits as a player and teammate and strong in your face defense she likely will be a solid sub. She also is nowhere near as quick as some guards.
I don't mean to be criticizing Kia, she's truly an amazing, outstanding leader and human being and has made something good of everything she's been given.
Gabby as everyone knows is a an exceptional athlete. There has hardly ever been anyone like her. I believe it will translate well to the pro game but she has to improve mostly her two point shot. I don't see her hoisting up threes and she doesn't need to.
These are truly two of the great U Conn players and I wish them the very best of everything. Both may well accomplish as much or more off the court, than on, and at least from
my perspective that's huge.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
First of all, I have never seen a player who can dominate every aspect of a game like Gabby and she is the most exciting woman player I have every seen. That being said, her athleticism is not going to be as dominant in the W like it is in college. She is going to have to develop her mid-range jumper and maybe a three point shot to be successful. I look forward to watching her develop and hope her hip and migraines don't become career ending issues. I would love to see her, Sue, Jewell and Stewie running the court together in Seattle.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Taking in practice this day is veteran WNBA coach Dan Hughes, who has just been hired to coach a Seattle Storm team that includes three former Auriemma players: Stewart, Sue Bird, and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis.

People who see Auriemma only as an acerbic coach who pushes his players’ buttons overlook the fact that he is “a master teacher,” says Hughes.

“When you build a team, you try to get players to give energy rather than take it,” says Hughes. “UConn players give you energy. I wish I had 10 of them.”

The above is from the Yankee Magazine article which can be found here on the BY.
I predicted about a month ago that Gabby would not fall past Seattle's pick.
I still believe that. We shall see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom