Who gives two $#!T$? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who gives two $#!T$?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fixed it for you. I don't think many people envisioned this happening -- another conference letting ND in with independence in football.

No kidding. I just didn't think that any of the major conference would ever allow ND to do to them what the Big East allowed the Irish to do. Especially, since these conferences are for the most part - All Sports Conferences. Not at all like the hybrid BE where football looks totally different that basketball. I'm shocked at the ACC granting ND privileges on these terms. But . . . it has always been my opinion that what was most important to the ACC was basketball and all these raids on the BE were designed to destroy the one basketball conference in America that was consistently stronger that they were. IMO, everything about the ACC's raiding of the BE was designed to destroy the basketball end. And, if Georgetown is offered membership along with Notre Dame (which has been rumored) then you know the fix is in.

Reaction Score
No kidding. I just didn't think that any of the major conference would ever allow ND to do to them what the Big East allowed the Irish to do. Especially, since these conferences are for the most part - All Sports Conferences. Not at all like the hybrid BE where football looks totally different that basketball. I'm shocked at the ACC granting ND privileges on these terms. But . . . it has always been my opinion that what was most important to the ACC was basketball and all these raids on the BE were designed to destroy the one basketball conference in America that was consistently stronger that they were. IMO, everything about the ACC's raiding of the BE was designed to destroy the basketball end. And, if Georgetown is offered membership along with Notre Dame (which has been rumored) then you know the fix is in.
ok, i can see the basketball raid as a theory. But if the ACC generally does All Sports for the schools what happens with Georgetown for Football? lol.

Reaction Score
ok, i can see the basketball raid as a theory. But if the ACC generally does All Sports for the schools what happens with Georgetown for Football? lol.

Now your getting it. ACC + Conference Raiding = Predatory Practices designed to eliminate closest competitor. A non-football playing Georgetown would be the "smoking gun" of all "smoking guns".

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that thinks this may ultimately help us? My goal has always been the B1G. the ACC was a better option than where we are, but not our best home by any means. Now that ND is off the table (and and ACC is now off the table), why wouldn't the B1G want to pick up UConn and Rutgers to pick up the east coast/NYC? We're now the only two east coast teams available.

Maybe my thought process is flawed, maybe it's correct, but I think assuming this is definitely a bad day for UConn is incorrect (aside from Calhoun who I'd have liked to see stay through the "lost year"). I think the chances of this helping us are equal to the chances of it hurting us as far as conference realignment goes. Now that the ACC has been aggressive, the B1G may be forced to act, b/c if the ACC does decide they want us and RU, the B1G is basically forever locked out of the east coast. All of this may be exacerbated by the fact that they're premier east coast property is very much damaged by one of if not the worst scandal in modern sports.

The B1G makes more money than any conference, including the SEC.

They are not going to add anyone unless it makes them more valuable. I'm not 100% on the numbers, but I think they are making about $18-$19mm per team. If they go from 12 to 14 teams the new teams would have to be extremely valuable to increase on the per team pay out. I don't think RU and UConn are that valuable. If we were, we would have been invited elsewhere by now.

The past few years there has been a lot of talk about the inevitable super conferences. This ignores the law of diminishing returns. I'm not sure where that number is, but I believe it's more likely 12-14 than 16.

The B1G isn't happening. The ACC is still a possibility in a couple years, IMO. But I think UConn, Louisville, USF, and RU should get on the phone with the Big 12. They can expand their footprint into the northeast, pick up a new school in Florida. Some quality basketball in UConn/Louisville, and growing/competitive football programs in all four.

Reaction Score
Not sure why you would say that. Rutgers and UCONN (and Penn State) would give the B1G significant play in the tri-state area. Why does it make no sense without "domination"?

Seems like a capricious thing to say.
The B1G is the richest conference in college sports. You'd have to show why they are more valuable adding RU and UConn. UConn and RU would have to improve the value by roughly $50-$60 million/year to be invited. I don't think we are that valuable. If we were, we could go independent, which is not an option.

Before you say we bring NY, there are more CFB fans of B1G schools in NYC than UConn. OSU, Michigan, PSU, etc all have a lot of alum in NYC. Basketball is important but doesn't bring the money that football does which brings us back to my point above. And the B1G isn't a cupcake in basketball. OSU has a fine tradition in hoops, Michigan has had its runs. Iowa is a quality program. Indiana is a national program. Michigan St is a national program. Purdue, Wisconsin are solid programs. They have quality hoops already, adding UConn would improve it, but not by $25 million/year.

http://nyc.umclubs.com/index.php?page=football-saturdays

Reaction Score
The B1G makes more money than any conference, including the SEC.

They are not going to add anyone unless it makes them more valuable. I'm not 100% on the numbers, but I think they are making about $18-$19mm per team. If they go from 12 to 14 teams the new teams would have to be extremely valuable to increase on the per team pay out. I don't think RU and UConn are that valuable. If we were, we would have been invited elsewhere by now.

The past few years there has been a lot of talk about the inevitable super conferences. This ignores the law of diminishing returns. I'm not sure where that number is, but I believe it's more likely 12-14 than 16.

The B1G isn't happening. The ACC is still a possibility in a couple years, IMO. But I think UConn, Louisville, USF, and RU should get on the phone with the Big 12. They can expand their footprint into the northeast, pick up a new school in Florida. Some quality basketball in UConn/Louisville, and growing/competitive football programs in all four.

My numbers are very fuzzy, but if we figure 5m TVs in NYC, which is probably low, it could mean another $5-10m/month in revenue if they pick up the B1G network. Not only that, but besides UConn and RU, the east coast is officially sealed up. the ACC has taken every other worthwhile east coast property that I can think of with a $50m exit fee. If the ACC adds UConn and Rutgers, the B1G will be basically be locked out of the east coast.

This move might fast forward the formation of the alleged "super conferences" that we weren't expecting for a few more year. ND was always the hold up

Reaction Score
The B1G is the richest conference in college sports. You'd have to show why they are more valuable adding RU and UConn. UConn and RU would have to improve the value by roughly $50-$60 million/year to be invited. I don't think we are that valuable. If we were, we could go independent, which is not an option.

Before you say we bring NY, there are more CFB fans of B1G schools in NYC than UConn. OSU, Michigan, PSU, etc all have a lot of alum in NYC. Basketball is important but doesn't bring the money that football does which brings us back to my point above. And the B1G isn't a cupcake in basketball. OSU has a fine tradition in hoops, Michigan has had its runs. Iowa is a quality program. Indiana is a national program. Michigan St is a national program. Purdue, Wisconsin are solid programs. They have quality hoops already, adding UConn would improve it, but not by $25 million/year.

http://nyc.umclubs.com/index.php?page=football-saturdays
Our football program would absolutely freaking explode if we were in the B1G. Conference affiliation is huge. We do have an old (and classic) football program/history. 3 titles in men's basketball, 7 in women's basketball, 3 in men's soccer, 4 national title game appearances and 0 wins for women's soccer, 20+ conference titles in football. That is an impressive resume.

Reaction Score
My numbers are very fuzzy, but if we figure 5m TVs in NYC, which is probably low, it could mean another $5-10m/month in revenue if they pick up the B1G network. Not only that, but besides UConn and RU, the east coast is officially sealed up. the ACC has taken every other worthwhile east coast property that I can think of with a $50m exit fee. If the ACC adds UConn and Rutgers, the B1G will be basically be locked out of the east coast.

I've highlighted the key part. There was a time in NYC where some fans couldn't watch the Yankees or the Mets on certain providers. Are those customers going to throw a fit and/or pay more for the B1G? Based on the number of fans above, I don't think you should assume the providers will pick up the B1G, or there will be enough fans willing to buy a B1G package to make it worth it. Based on the # of fans shown above, there are fewer than 2 million CFB fans in NYC. That's less than half of what's needed to get to your $5mm-$10mm/month number.

If it were as easy as "add UConn/RU and make an extra $120 mllion/year for the conference" it would have been done by now.

Like you, I would absolutely love an invite to the B1G, and I pray I'm wrong. But I don't believe it will ever happen.

Reaction Score
Our football program would absolutely freaking explode if we were in the B1G. Conference affiliation is huge. We do have an old (and classic) football/program history. 3 titles in men's basketball, 7 in women's basketball, 3 in men's soccer, 4 national title game appearances and 0 wins for women's soccer, 20+ conference titles in football. That is an impressive resume.

What's your point? None of that matters. Money is all that matters.

Reaction Score
What's your point? None of that matters. Money is all that matters.
And we are in the top 50 in athletic department revenue. With a better TV deal, we'd be top 25.

Reaction Score
I've highlighted the key part. There was a time in NYC where some fans couldn't watch the Yankees or the Mets on certain providers. Are those customers going to throw a fit and/or pay more for the B1G? Based on the number of fans above, I don't think you should assume the providers will pick up the B1G, or there will be enough fans willing to buy a B1G package to make it worth it. Based on the # of fans shown above, there are fewer than 2 million CFB fans in NYC. That's less than half of what's needed to get to your $5mm-$10mm/month number.

If it were as easy as "add UConn/RU and make an extra $120 mllion/year for the conference" it would have been done by now.

Like you, I would absolutely love an invite to the B1G, and I pray I'm wrong. But I don't believe it will ever happen.

Verizon has B1G, eventually the cable companies would have to to keep up. Don't forget, those NYC numbers aren't including the 3.5m people in CT and the 9m in NJ. My main point is that because of the B1G, their economics are a little different than other conferences where you're just relying on ESPN to give you more money. I'm sure the B1G wants to become a national channel, and that won't happen without a single school on the east coast.

Reaction Score
And we are in the top 50 in athletic department revenue. With a better TV deal, we'd be top 25.
Is this a serious post or a joke? Obviously with a better TV deal (or B1G invite) we'd make more money. But that's because the B1G's per team payout would be divided by 1 (or 2) additional teams. Which means the schools inviting us would have to be willing to make less money. You think all 12 schools are going to agree to a pay cut to add UConn? Because why exactly?

Unless we bring in an additional $25+/-million per team with us, we aren't getting invited. If you don't understand that, you don't understand why we're still on the outside looking in. We have to improve their current per team payout (which is the highest in college sports) in order to get an invite. Nothing you've posted is even relative to that undeniable fact.

Show me where UConn and RU add $50+ million per year to a tv contract and I'll show you an invite to the B1G.

Reaction Score
Is this a serious post or a joke? Obviously with a better TV deal (or B1G invite) we'd make more money. But that's because the B1G's per team payout would be divided by 1 (or 2) additional teams. Which means the schools inviting us would have to be willing to make less money. You think all 12 schools are going to agree to a pay cut to add UConn? Because why exactly?

Unless we bring in an additional $25+/-million per team with us, we aren't getting invited. If you don't understand that, you don't understand why we're still on the outside looking in. We have to improve their current per team payout (which is the highest in college sports) in order to get an invite. Nothing you've posted is even relative to that undeniable fact.

Show me where UConn and RU add $50+ million per year to a tv contract and I'll show you an invite to the B1G.
How exactly are Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana, Michigan State $25 million programs? We have a much larger market than them.

At worst, we'd be a middle of the pack athletic department in the B1G. Has Nebraska football been mauling the B1G? They have 5 national titles.

Reaction Score
Verizon has B1G, eventually the cable companies would have to to keep up. Don't forget, those NYC numbers aren't including the 3.5m people in CT and the 9m in NJ. My main point is that because of the B1G, their economics are a little different than other conferences where you're just relying on ESPN to give you more money. I'm sure the B1G wants to become a national channel, and that won't happen without a single school on the east coast.

How many of those 12.5 mm are 1) fans and 2) willing to pay more money for the B1G?

NYC has about 8% of population who are "fans", if CT/NJ are double that, then we're talking 2 million fans. (16% of 12.5, if my math is correct). And all of those fans are not fans of B1G schools.

We're still 1 million below the 5 million tv sets needed at a minimum. The problem is that CFB is not big in the northeast. The population numbers simply don't matter. What matters is how many are actually interested and watching. And that number is very low when compared to the markets of the ACC, SEC, and B1G.

Reaction Score
How exactly are Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana, Michigan State $25 million programs? We have a much larger market than them.

I see this conversation is going over your head.

What they are worth is completely irrelevant since they are already in the conference. Every team in the B1G is not of equal value. That doesn't matter, they are already in the B1G and getting an equal share.

If we want to be a part of that, we have to bring more value to the conference. OSU, PSU, and Michigan already have to share with Northwestern and others. They aren't going to take less money to add UConn/RU. Why is this so difficult to understand?

Reaction Score
Why is this so difficult to understand?
You have difficulty understanding that cultures can change. Who ever imagined a third of the freaking country would watch the Super Bowl? (Only 50 million outside of the country. Still not bad.)

Reaction Score
I really hope that you and the others who see this as no big deal are correct. I would happily eat 5 lbs of crow on this.

Agreed. Maybe I'm a pessimist, maybe it's just because I'm a lawyer and see risk in everything, but I can't interpret what's going on as anything other than an unmitigated disaster.

Reaction Score
You have difficulty understanding that cultures can change. Who ever imagined a third of the freaking country would watch the Super Bowl? (Only 50 million outside of the country. Still not bad.)
LMAO. You have difficulty responding to the facts that are relevant to the discussion.

The only thing that matters is whether the B1G has a higher per team payout with UConn/RU than it does now. Everything else you've posted about, including the Super Bowl, is completely irrelevant. When you decide to address/discuss that fact, let us know.

Reaction Score
Everyone should care. ND, despite the big east being a good partner to them, the big east. What was the harm in letting the Big East work out its TV contract before they pulled this stunt? Word coming out now that the ACC Orange Bowl opponent will be ND, SEC, Big Ten on a rotating basis. ND now becomes part of the machine that bad mouths the big east at every opportunity. Digest that, as you reminisce about all the "good" that came from ND's affiliation with the Big East.

Reaction Score
Everyone should care. ND, despite the big east being a good partner to them, Fecundityed the big east. What was the harm in letting the Big East work out its TV contract before they pulled this stunt? Word coming out now that the ACC Orange Bowl opponent will be ND, SEC, Big Ten on a rotating basis. ND now becomes part of the machine that bad mouths the big east at every opportunity. Digest that, as you reminisce about all the "good" that came from ND's affiliation with the Big East.

Without their affiliation we would have made less money and gotten worse bowls. Kicking them out would not have prevented them from joining the nACC anyway.

We are where we are because the conference ignored the importance of football decades ago, not because ND was a temporary band aid.

For years many here said no other conference would do what the Big East offered and that's why we should kick them out. Whoops.

Reaction Score
LMAO. You have difficulty responding to the facts that are relevant to the discussion.

The only thing that matters is whether the B1G has a higher per team payout with UConn/RU than it does now. Everything else you've posted about, including the Super Bowl, is completely irrelevant. When you decide to address/discuss that fact, let us know.
Welcome to the world of potential. Don't know if you know success is based on vision.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the world of potential. Don't know if you know success is based on vision.

Welcome to the real world.

Where the Big East is forced to settle for "potential" with schools like Houston, SMU, Memphis, and UCF.

And the B1G can sit back and allow the most valuable free agent available to walk because they are already the highest paid conference in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom