Who gets to break Pat Summitt career win first | The Boneyard

Who gets to break Pat Summitt career win first

Reaction Score
With the news that Big East will have 4 or 5 games in December and possible uneven schedules with Stanford, will Geno get there First

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMO much more important is who's ahead between Geno and "She of Five Nykesha Sales" when the first second one retires.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm so excited to see some legendary coaches getting ready to pass Pat Summitt's all time win's record. Tara needs 5 wins, Geno needs 9. Awesome to see both doing it this year.

Stringer needs 58. Not sure she will last long enough - will be at least 2 more years for her - but she has a great shot as well if she can hang in there...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
IMO much more important is who's ahead between Geno and "She of Five Nykesha Sales" when the first one retires.
Even more important than that is who's ahead when the second one retires.

Tara is at 1094, three wins ahead of Geno at 1091. I'll be shocked if Geno's able to make up the deficit before Tara hits 1099. He'll need help: Stanford would need to end up playing no games (or hardly any games), or play extremely poorly, or play an extremely tough schedule.

Reaction Score

l was unaware that PAC 12 changed start date to 11/25

Reaction Score
It’s good to see interest resumed in the “Push to Pass Pat” and the head to head competition between Tara and Geno. It will be one more interesting side aspect of a very unusual and interesting season.

I miss Vowel Guy and his exceptionally well done “Coaching wins” thread. The thread was locked for some reason back in March of this year. Does anyone have info on Vowel Guy?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Here is the current list of the top 20 D-1 coaches career wins in WCBB as of today (Oct 1, 2020) per WikipediA

1601571537968.png

I expect Tara to surpass Pat's career total first, however I think Geno will have more wins and set the new benchmark for career wins for WCBB when they are both retired.

Technically, to break Pat’s record, you would have to win 1099 games in 38 seasons or less, as Geno will do in this, his 36th year. Tara is entering her 42nd year. But this IS NOT about if someone breaks her record of wins in 38 or less years, but who surpasses her number of CAREER WINS first. A milestone achievement that can never be taken away. If you're the first, you'll ALWAYS be the first (just like Neil Armstrong - 11 others have walked on the moon's surface, but HE was the first), regardless of how you finish. I wonder who will retire first.

Don't look for Stanford to lose a lot of games this season. I'm guessing no more than 4, and none in the OOC portion of their season. I expect them to make the sweet 16 with ease. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here is the current list of the top 20 D-1 coaches career wins in WCBB as of today (Oct 1, 2020) per WikipediA

View attachment 59229

I expect Tara to break Pat's record first, however I think Geno will have more wins and set the new benchmark for career wins for WCBB when they are both retired. Don't look for Stanford to lose a lot of games this season. I'm guessing no more than 4. I expect them to make the sweet 16 with ease.
I agree odds are with Tara for breaking the Summit wins total first. More interesting to me is who holds the record after Geno and Tara have retired. Tara 67 and Geno 66. There is no way to know which hangs it up first given the variables of health, family situation, continued desire to coach in general or how important it is to retire as winningest coach.

Which ever has the record after both have retired will likely die with the record. No one in the top 20 behind them have a prayer of catching them. As WCBB gets more competitive it will be harder for younger coaches to challenge the record. This may be a forever record.

Reaction Score
He won't be the first to break the record. However, his winning percentage and the number of seasons it took him to do it is unthinkable and remarkable. Says a lot about Tara and what a great and consistent coach she is.

Carnac

Reaction Score
He won't be the first to break the record. However, his winning percentage and the number of seasons it took him to do it is unthinkable and remarkable. Says a lot about Tara and what a great and consistent coach she is.

C Vivian Stringer is entering her 50th year. You think Geno will do 50? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Geno will retire first. He holds all the records, and he has done everything you can hope for and much more in his career. Nobody will ever pass him in championships, career winning percentage or undefeated seasons. Also, he has a lot to look forward to in retirement.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I agree odds are with Tara for breaking the Summit wins total first. More interesting to me is who holds the record after Geno and Tara have retired. Tara 67 and Geno 66. There is no way to know which hangs it up first given the variables of health, family situation, continued desire to coach in general or how important it is to retire as winningest coach.

Which ever has the record after both have retired will likely die with the record. No one in the top 20 behind them have a prayer of catching them. As WCBB gets more competitive it will be harder for younger coaches to challenge the record. This may be a forever record.

Yeah, right up there with DiMaggio's 56 game hit streak, Johnny Vander Meer's 2 no-hit games pitched back-to-back on consecutive starts, Cal Ripken Jr's streak of playing in 2,632 games consecutively over 17 years, 1982-1998. Don't forget Bill Russell's 11 NBA championships.

Reaction Score
Yeah, right up there with DiMaggio's 56 game hit streak, Johnny Vander Meer's 2 no-hit games pitched back-to-back on consecutive starts, Cal Ripken Jr's streak of playing in 2,632 games consecutively over 17 years, 1982-1998. Don't forget Bill Russell's 11 NBA championships.
Those will never be topped, for sure, and most certainly another unique record is Cy Young's all time LOST record of 316! Yes his 511 wins will never be touched, but who would ever get a chance to lose 316 games. Of course the main one is total decisions (W/L) is out in the stars somewhere. BTW I'm looking at another 150 wins for Geno. Maybe more, but 5yrs.X 30 games=150. More?

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Those will never be topped, for sure, and most certainly another unique record is Cy Young's all time LOST record of 316! Yes his 511 wins will never be touched, but who would ever get a chance to lose 316 games. Of course the main one is total decisions (W/L) is out in the stars somewhere. BTW I'm looking at another 150 wins for Geno. Maybe more, but 5yrs.X 30 games=150. More?
The most incredible--and indelible--of all of Cy Young's records is his number of complete games: 749.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom