Who gets the wins? | The Boneyard

Who gets the wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do our next 3 wins count towards Calhouns record or Blaneys?

Reaction Score
Nope, it counts toward Calhoun's record.

The only way it doesn't is if a coach leaves at some point during the season, and then doesn't come back the next year.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily. When Calhoun was sick and out 5 or 6 games two years ago, he was credited with wins and losses.

Reaction Score
Nope, it counts toward Calhoun's record.

The only way it doesn't is if a coach leaves at some point during the season, and then doesn't come back the next year.

Or if you petition the NCAA to have those wins and losses attributed to the assistant who coached the games like Coach K did when he left mid-season with his back issues and the Dook season took a free-fall...

Reaction Score
2 yrs ago they counted for Calhoun. So I would assume these would as well.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
It wouldn't shock me if they aren't credited to JC since it's a suspension and not just a few sick days -- but I have no idea.

Reaction Score
A general reply to many of the comments above.

Calhoun indeed received the wins (and losses) from games in which sickness absented him (most notably in '10):

http://deadspin.com/5860078/wait-didnt-coach-k-break-the-all time-wins-record-last-season

This fact was used to knock K for the losses NOT assigned to him in '94/95 when he exited with back problems.

I have NO IDEA how the outcomes of the upcoming games will be counted vis-a-vis JC's career total. As much as I hate the whole situation, I wouldn't be surprised if any Ws don't accrue to his record.

(*On a slightly separate point, I'm very interested, media-wise, in how things like win totals are tracked these days. Obtaining official NCAA info is difficult. I myself have routinely updated JC's wikipedia page. ESPN isn't always right (witness their, much bemoaned, omission of our 3rd Final Four on-air in 2009 during our run last year). Plus the vagueness of our 1996(?) tourney wins that have been negated because of the Kirk King / R. Moore situation. (Wikipedia mainly says that those wins are vacated. JC's NCAA tourney win total varies accordingly (somewhere in the high-40s), depending on the network/source). I'm not saying there's no definitive (obviously there IS) answer to any of this - and the difference amounts to a handful of games either way ... - I'm just interested in the discrepancies you hear and the extent to which it illuminates the huge cracks in Old Media in a way. Sure, to find the real answer for yourself you could go back and count every game JC ever helmed, but how to treat a game against Lamar or Chickitaubit St. in '78, or something like that? The NCAA isn't exactly good at making these types of things clear and, as I said above, the data isn't exactly easy to come across.

I'm going w/: Calhoun (248 wins at NE'stern(?)), 855 after last year, 865 this as of right now, and no credit for any wins that MAY happen in the next three games.

Reaction Score
I habe a feeling they wont count because its a suspension and not a leave for personal reasons.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
Do our next 3 wins count towards Calhouns record or Blaneys?
That's an easy question to answer..
According to my influential sources - any losses during these three games will count against Calhoun. Any and all wins will be credited to Coach K who petitioned the NCAA during the preseason for just that set-up.

Reaction Score
I habe a feeling they wont count because its a suspension and not a leave for personal reasons.

And the NCAA (who suspended him) does the counting. Can't see them counting this win towards Calhoun's totals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom