Who gets the two seeds? | The Boneyard

Who gets the two seeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I figure the one seeds are locked in...Baylor/Stanford/ND and UConn.

5 teams for the 4 two seeds?

Maryland
Duke
Kentucky
Miami
Tenn.

Do we toss in UDel as a possibility? I was surprised to see their RPI around 6 or 7.
I think the committee likes to reward championships other things being equal. For the moment taking UDel out of the picture that might lead to Miami being a 3 seed. I think [not sure] that the others have won either the regular season ring or the conference tournment.

The five listed all have been a tad erratic this year but I regard them all as dangerous. UDel is one interesting story....I am betting that ESPN will have cameras there on the selection show for reactions from the Cinderella team with the Cinderella NPOY candidate....how deep will they go pumpkin-wise? Their presence will attract some casual fan interest...a very good thing. And next year?
Not as Cinderella-ish...but a better bet to play longer in March....or April.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think that the committee can make a case if it wants to for Delaware being a 2 seed exactly because of those RPI amd SOS numbers. Whether they will be moved to do so or not since Delaware has never won an NCAA tournament game is another question. I hope they do give Delaware a #2.

Reaction Score
MD, DU, TN are no brainers

Creme says KY for the last one. I say Miami.

Their resumes are similar, but KY was 4-4 down the stretch, including 2-4 away from home with a loss to a terrible Alabama team. They did not finish the season well.
Also, Miami's road wins (MD, GT) slightly trump KY's (SC, GA).

Reaction Score
Maryland, Duke, Miami, and Tennessee- in that order, with Tennessee having a chance at jumping Miami.

They have similar profiles, but here's why Kentucky shouldn't jump Miami:

Miami: 2 good losses (duke, tenn), 3 okay loses (gtown, unc, wake), 0 terrible losses, 2 great wins (md, md), 2 other top 25 wins (ga tech, rutgers)
Kentucky: 2 good losses (nd, tenn), 3 okay losses (lsu, lsu, middle tennessee), 1 terrible loss (alabama), 2 great wins (duke, tenn), 2 other top 25 wins (l'ville, uga)

Reaction Score
Maryland, Duke, Miami, and Tennessee- in that order, with Tennessee having a chance at jumping Miami.

They have similar profiles, but here's why Kentucky shouldn't jump Miami:

Miami: 2 good losses (duke, tenn), 3 okay loses (gtown, unc, wake), 0 terrible losses, 2 great wins (md, md), 2 other top 25 wins (ga tech, rutgers)
Kentucky: 2 good losses (nd, tenn), 3 okay losses (lsu, lsu, middle tennessee), 1 terrible loss (alabama), 2 great wins (duke, tenn), 2 other top 25 wins (l'ville, uga)
Agree. If Uconn remains the #4 team on selection Monday, do they necessarily draw the #5 team(Maryland) as the second seed in the Kingston bracket?

Reaction Score
If Uconn remains the #4 team on selection Monday, do they necessarily draw the #5 team(Maryland) as the second seed in the Kingston bracket?

That's not how bracketing works. The top #2 seed is placed in the region that is closest. It doesn't matter if the team already there is the 4th #1 or 1st #1. This is why Creme has MD in Raleigh and Duke in RI.

I think the committee will either rank Duke as the #5, or will decided that the Kingston/Raleigh distance is negligible for MD, putting the Terps in RI and Duke in Raleigh.

Reaction Score
It would be a mockery if Tenn got a #2. Some sort of well intentioned, but warped honor for Pat Summit.
She would be the first to say it is undeserved (I think).

Reaction Score
It would be a mockery if Tenn got a #2. Some sort of well intentioned, but warped honor for Pat Summit.
She would be the first to say it is undeserved (I think).

Why?
Who is more deserving?

.............. vs RPI 1-25 .. RPI 26-50 .. RPI 51-100 .. RPI 100+
Tenn .......... 8-4 ............. 7-3 ............... 2-1 ................. 7-0
Mia ............ 4-2 ............. 0-1 ............... 9-2 ............... 11-0
Ky .............. 4-4 ............. 7-1 ............... 0-0 ............... 13-1
Del ............. 2-1 .............. 3-0 .............. 9-0 ............... 13-0

Reaction Score
That's not how bracketing works. The top #2 seed is placed in the region that is closest. It doesn't matter if the team already there is the 4th #1 or 1st #1. This is why Creme has MD in Raleigh and Duke in RI.

I think the committee will either rank Duke as the #5, or will decided that the Kingston/Raleigh distance is negligible for MD, putting the Terps in RI and Duke in Raleigh.

They don't get the option of deciding it's negligible. ND has a smaller difference in distance between trips to Kingston and Raleigh, yet they get projected to Raleigh even though they currently are higher on the S curve. ND would certainly prefer being East as well. ND is traveling further to Raleigh then UConn would have to travel to Raleigh. If Maryland is the 5, it's still there conference territory and a familiar floor. Duke could still get it though.

Reaction Score
Why?
Who is more deserving?

.............. vs RPI 1-25 .. RPI 26-50 .. RPI 51-100 .. RPI 100+
Tenn .......... 8-4 ............. 7-3 ............... 2-1 ................. 7-0
Mia ............ 4-2 ............. 0-1 ............... 9-2 ............... 11-0
Ky .............. 4-4 ............. 7-1 ............... 0-0 ............... 13-1
Del ............. 2-1 .............. 3-0 .............. 9-0 ............... 13-0
I don't think they have been ranked in the top 8 in weeks or months have they? Or even in the top 10?
You left out Duke, Maryland and others.

Reaction Score
I don't think they have been ranked in the top 8 in weeks or months have they? Or even in the top 10? .

Polls are irrelevant.

You left out Duke, Maryland and others.

It is a given Duke & MD are #2 seeds. That leaves two spots. If TN doesn't deserve one, then there have to be two teams with stronger resumes. I've yet to hear someone make a compelling case for that.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Tennessee won the SEC tourney and will probably be a 2 seed. The 2s will be Tennessee, Duke, Maryland and Delaware. Due to EDD Delaware gets more respect than expected. I think that at this point that DE would beat KY.

I would love to see a Baylor and Delaware match-up.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
They don't get the option of deciding it's negligible. ND has a smaller difference in distance between trips to Kingston and Raleigh, yet they get projected to Raleigh even though they currently are higher on the S curve. ND would certainly prefer being East as well. ND is traveling further to Raleigh then UConn would have to travel to Raleigh. If Maryland is the 5, it's still there conference territory and a familiar floor. Duke could still get it though.

Conference territory.... but not a familiar floor. The only other time that Maryland has played at the RBC Center was the 2009 Regionals.

Reaction Score
Polls are irrelevant.

It is a given Duke & MD are #2 seeds. That leaves two spots. If TN doesn't deserve one, then there have to be two teams with stronger resumes. I've yet to hear someone make a compelling case for that.

So I guess I'm quite ignorant of the system, but it would seem that the 8 losses some to teams that would be seeded much lower (also irrelevant?) would be a factor.

Reaction Score
The 2s will be Tennessee, Duke, Maryland and Delaware.

That would be a travesty.

DE's best road win is over St Bonaventure (a likely 6 seed).

If they had blown the doors off their conference that would be one thing, but they had a bunch of close games - all on the road - against some mediocre teams. Including a one-pointer against a Drexel team that might not even make the WNIT.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Creme has Ky as the 2 and Del as the 3 in Fresno.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yup. I just thought it was interesting. Tonight'soutcome probably changed nothing, bracket-wise, don't you think?

HGN

Reaction Score
I figure the one seeds are locked in...Baylor/Stanford/ND and UConn.

5 teams for the 4 two seeds?

Maryland
Duke
Kentucky
Miami
Tenn.

Do we toss in UDel as a possibility? I was surprised to see their RPI around 6 or 7.
I think the committee likes to reward championships other things being equal. For the moment taking UDel out of the picture that might lead to Miami being a 3 seed. I think [not sure] that the others have won either the regular season ring or the conference tournment.

The five listed all have been a tad erratic this year but I regard them all as dangerous. UDel is one interesting story....I am betting that ESPN will have cameras there on the selection show for reactions from the Cinderella team with the Cinderella NPOY candidate....how deep will they go pumpkin-wise? Their presence will attract some casual fan interest...a very good thing. And next year?
Not as Cinderella-ish...but a better bet to play longer in March....or April.
Blakeon18, i think Maryland , as the ACC Tournament Champion, may could make an argument for a No.1 seed.

Reaction Score
Blakeon18, i think Maryland , as the ACC Tournament Champion, may could make an argument for a No.1 seed.

Doubtful.
Only possible chance is if Stanford loses in the Pac tourney.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I disagree:

The top 4 all had the same or fewer losses than Maryland. Only UConn had the same number, and we won our tourney.

The ACC was a relatively weak conference. Their teams did not fare well against good competition.

Maryland's loss to Va. Tech was far worse than ND's loss to WVU or UConn's loss to St. Johns.

Though they won the tourney, Maryland had an easy path, as Duke and Miami exited early. If the Terps had beaten both along the way, their title would have been far more impressive.

I think Maryland is a good team, with a great front line. I'd like to see them play Stanford and the O sisters. But, just like Duke, Miami, Kentucky, Tennessee, et al., they are not on a par with the top 4. Other than the very close WVU and SJU hiccups, the top 4 have lost only to each other. They are a cut above.

Reaction Score
I think that the committee can make a case if it wants to for Delaware being a 2 seed exactly because of those RPI amd SOS numbers. Whether they will be moved to do so or not since Delaware has never won an NCAA tournament game is another question. I hope they do give Delaware a #2.
Who could have predicted back in December that Delaware would end up a 3 seed and maybe, maybe a 2?

Oh, wait a minute, I did, didn't I? What do you know! :)

Early on Delaware beat Penn State by 9 at home, then beat very good St. Bonaventure and Princeton teams on the road by roughly 10 apiece. If you were objective, you had to see that they were headed for a very strong season and a very low seed in the tournament. But folks on the board who should have known better laughed at the thought and threw out things like a ten seed. Didn't work out that way.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
(in response to rjp172)

I don't think it will matter but UConn's RPI is higher than ND. If you check out Real Time RPI, it lists ND as higher. However, despite the name, it isn't real time. They updated their list last night, but before the UConn game. The listed RPIs are .6868(ND) and .6814(CT). When they do the update, they will be close to .6797(ND) and .6823(CT), so UConn will pass ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom