Who Gets The Luigi ??? | The Boneyard

Who Gets The Luigi ???

Reaction Score
The Luigi being my slang term for one of the annual trophies given out in woman's basketball.
It is inevitable when the much dreaded day comes and Geno retires some established group will want his name on a trophy.

Due to his endless ability to supply the media with quips and quotes like no other I'm thinking.......
THE AP GENO AUREMMA COACH OF THE YEAR .........

Obviously they cannot replace anything with Naismith on it or Summit but there is room for some like the writers to add the greatest to ever coach the game. ....
I was going to post this as a poll but that would limit the creativity found on this forum....;)
Have at it boys and girls, guys and gals, who gets THE LUIGI ?

Reaction Score
Rather than another "coach of the year" award, how about an award, given only as deserved, for the coach who gives the most to the game?

I think in Geno's name it could honor someone who is a great teacher-coach, who provides leadership with Olympics and other extra-collegiate events, who contributes to thinking about improving the game's rules and oversight, etc. Such an award is not annual, but only bestowed when the profession sees someone obvious to honor. In that way, it rises above who has the best team in a particular year, but be more of a career-capper. (The Summit somewhat recognizes similar qualities but is given annually, not necessarily for a coach, and for any sport.)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
How about the player who scores the most yet, in the eyes of her coach, gives up even more points? Like "She scored 40, but she gave up 50." Or to the great player who can't guard a chair?

Reaction Score
How about the player who scores the most yet, in the eyes of her coach, gives up even more points? Like "She scored 40, but she gave up 50." Or to the great player who can't guard a chair?
or how about to the coach who can throw a chair (or a jacket?)?
635710194583752595-KnightThrowingChair.jpg

Reaction Score
Rather than another "coach of the year" award, how about an award, given only as deserved, for the coach who gives the most to the game?

I think in Geno's name it could honor someone who is a great teacher-coach, who provides leadership with Olympics and other extra-collegiate events, who contributes to thinking about improving the game's rules and oversight, etc. Such an award is not annual, but only bestowed when the profession sees someone obvious to honor. In that way, it rises above who has the best team in a particular year, but be more of a career-capper. (The Summit somewhat recognizes similar qualities but is given annually, not necessarily for a coach, and for any sport.)

I like what you bring to the floor here bags, not looking for another "coach of the year" award. My thought was to give The AP Trophy even more meaning. Nobody is going to replace Naismith in basketball. Just looking for some just due as the NFL has done for Vince Lombardi. There are a lot of variables on how his name will be used and it will be, that is why I put it out here.
It could be for the best up and coming coach from a lower division or assistant climbing the ladder that deserves recognition. Just looking for thoughts but I do think it has to be consistent annually. I see your point about who has the best team getting the award but that is not always the case. As for your career capper, I agree because there is at every level a coach out there that has spent countless hours and years of teaching the game to only get local recognition. It could more of a life time achievement award and well deserved.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Have at it boys and girls, guys and gals, who gets THE LUIGI ?

I gotta tell you a GENO sounds much better. A LUIGI sounds too much like it should be a FUBAR award. Bags' example of Bobby Knight throwing a chair fits with a LUIGI award. That night Knight deserved a FUBAR award -- a LUIGI!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom