Who gets a green light? | The Boneyard

Who gets a green light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I cannot think of another UConn player who ever had the "Green light" to shoot the way that Kemba did last year. Not even close.

Who will have a green light this year? Anyone? Only Jeremy? Is there anyone who won't be sat down for taking ill advised shots?

It will be interesting to see how JC handles the hook with this team. Thoughts?

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I don't think so, because as we know the hierarchy isn't like it was last year. Even if Kemba was taking bad shots trying to make plays out of nothing it would probably be bad for the team to see their one absolute, charismatic leader who also happens to be the far-and-away biggest scoring threat get benched. We don't know if we're going to have someone step up like Kemba did last year (I personally don't think we will), so I think everyone is going to have to take decent shots. Plus, we're much deeper than we were last year, so we can stand to sit JL if he's having an off night.

As far as the guy whose hands you put the ball in as time is expiring, I gotta go with SN and set up a really good screen for JL. However, if JL has learned to create for himself this summer with any resemblance of Kemba's ability, I'd go with Jeremy, because the only thing that was more automatic than his floater last year was Kemba shooting free throws.

Reaction Score
If SN is the guy taking the last shot I will buy into a FF right now. J Lamb #1, Ao #2 after that I am not sure. AD might be the next guy in the paint at #3 (but that's a guess) Bazz at #4? RS or DD, NG, RB at #5- #8. Those last 4 might see a lot of the quick hook although anyone of them could be a great player next year.
I also think AD is going to get pulled from the game a ton- early before BE play.

Reaction Score
I cannot think of another UConn player who ever had the "Green light" to shoot the way that Kemba did last year. Not even close.

Who will have a green light this year? Anyone? Only Jeremy? Is there anyone who won't be sat down for taking ill advised shots?

Have to think that Ray, Rip, Corny and Chris Smith had the green light but nothing like Kemba. He was leading a team of freshmen and sophmores and that may have had a lot to do with it.
The obvious choice this year is Lamb but Daniels may turn out to be a reincarnation of Rashad Anderson. It didn't matter whether Rashad had the green light because he was going to shoot anyway.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
If SN is the guy taking the last shot I will buy into a FF right now. J Lamb #1, Ao #2 after that I am not sure. AD might be the next guy in the paint at #3 (but that's a guess) Bazz at #4? RS or DD, NG, RB at #5- #8. Those last 4 might see a lot of the quick hook although anyone of them could be a great player next year.
I also think AD is going to get pulled from the game a ton- early before BE play.
I only put the ball in SNs hands so we can run a screen play to JL

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I believe Caron had that green light.

Reaction Score
Shabazz hit a lot of clutch baskets last year and he's not afraid to take those shots. I expect his shooting will improve some this year, but his leadership position, experience and maturity will cause him to be more selective in his shots. He's also got more weapons around him. I'd have no problem having the ball in Napier's hand for a last shot anytime.

Reaction Score
I'll take a bunny from AO or a JS from Lamb or a pass for a dunk from AD and if those are not open I would have no problem with SN taking the shot. He can not get into a "Kemba mode" where he thinks he is the solution to the shot clock- that would not be option one IMHO.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Shabazz hit a lot of clutch baskets last year and he's not afraid to take those shots. I expect his shooting will improve some this year, but his leadership position, experience and maturity will cause him to be more selective in his shots. He's also got more weapons around him. I'd have no problem having the ball in Napier's hand for a last shot anytime.

I agree with that, and I wasn't a huge Shabazz proponent last year. Percentages are as important in taking the last shot. Balls count for much more. Shabazz showed his stones several times over the course of the season, most memorably telling JC that he'll "make it up on the next play" after a bad turnover in the FF. Kid then buries 2 huge free throws on the next play. I like his guts.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I don't see Roscoe getting the quick hook. At the end of last year, he played his way past that. He'll be a mainstay, as I think he's one of our toughest players. And we all know how JC loves toughness.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Calhoun most often has a game plan that is calculated to wreck the opponent's defensive set(s).

His quick hooks are, IMHO, for going outside of the established game plan. Often it is not for taking the shot so much as taking the shot as opposed to pounding the ball inside, or kicking it out to the wing, "like we practiced all week!", etc.

With the array of talent we have this season (and I confess I am making a lot of assumptions about the incoming class and its offensive abilities) the scoring should be coming, pretty much from everywhere.

Which means that the quick hook, again, will come to those, not who shoot, but to those who do not play within the game plan.

Reaction Score
As for a green light there will be a couple of players, especially now they have Championship experience. Lamb and Bazz will not be pulled for shooting and Alex will have some leniency. As long as Scoe is past half court he will have a green light as well. Its not like this team doesn't have 'proven' offensive weapons. NG, RB, and DD will be on a leash to a certain extent. Tyler and Andre will get to shoot often if they are close to the basket.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As for a green light there will be a couple of players, especially now they have Championship experience. Lamb and Bazz will not be pulled for shooting and Alex will have some leniency. As long as Scoe is past half court he will have a green light as well. Its not like this team doesn't have 'proven' offensive weapons. NG, RB, and DD will be on a leash to a certain extent. Tyler and Andre will get to shoot often if they are close to the basket.

Even if he becomes an AA, that kid will never live it down... too funny.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I don't see Roscoe getting the quick hook. At the end of last year, he played his way past that. He'll be a mainstay, as I think he's one of our toughest players. And we all know how JC loves toughness.
After what he did at Texas, I don't think anyone wants the ball in his hands with time expiring hahaha

Reaction Score
just asking because i didn't see him in this discussion at all. Is Giffey still on this team? I really liked that guy.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
just asking because i didn't see him in this discussion at all. Is Giffey still on this team? I really liked that guy.
NG = Niles Giffey

He is still on the roster. No worries.

Reaction Score
NG = Niles Giffey

He is still on the roster. No worries.
hermey-thumb-572xauto-48534.jpg

Reaction Score

It will be Jeremy Lamb. As a matter of fact I think JL will become more demonstrative as the season progresses. That may be hard to believe considering his overall court demeanor but he reminds me so much of George "The Iceman" Gervin. Kemba did a great job last year making JL a verifiable second option. This has set the foundation for a breakout year for JL. I think during crunch time everything will be run through JL and he will be given the option to defer. He is an NBA lottery pick with proven experience in the big game. That is a rare commodity.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Have to think that Ray, Rip, Corny and Chris Smith had the green light but nothing like Kemba. He was leading a team of freshmen and sophmores and that may have had a lot to do with it.
The obvious choice this year is Lamb but Daniels may turn out to be a reincarnation of Rashad Anderson. It didn't matter whether Rashad had the green light because he was going to shoot anyway.
Caron and Ben had the green light from JC but they also thought the light was yellow.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It will be Jeremy Lamb. As a matter of fact I think JL will become more demonstrative as the season progresses. That may be hard to believe considering his overall court demeanor but he reminds me so much of George "The Iceman" Gervin. Kemba did a great job last year making JL a verifiable second option. This has set the foundation for a breakout year for JL. I think during crunch time everything will be run through JL and he will be given the option to defer. He is an NBA lottery pick with proven experience in the big game. That is a rare commodity.
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger