Who fills to the holes left by Z, Gabby, Kia? | The Boneyard

Who fills to the holes left by Z, Gabby, Kia?

Reaction Score
The need for an effective BIG was masked by leaping and Dynamic Gabby. Azura Stevens try as she could she was really a great wing she had amazing fire power. The Hockey toughness, 3 point shooting and at times an effective PG of Kia must be filled. These are holes. To get to the Elite 8, FF, NC the new kids and sophs must fill and exceed the production of this terribly missed 3: Gabby, Kia , Azura. Who shall stand tall and provide the missing talent? Who among the Soph's and Freshmen can do it?

Reaction Score
the best case scenario has Christyn Williams picking up much of the scoring slack along with a new and improved Megan Walker while an injury free Batouly Camara and super frosh ONO control the boards............is it too early to ask who's going to take over for Napheesa and KLS after they graduate?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Who shall stand tall and provide the missing talent?
Azurá ====> Olivia Nelson-Ododa
Gabby ====> Megan Walker
Kia ====> Christyn Williams
Katy Lou Samuelson
Napheesa Collier
Crystal Dangerfield

January 3, 2019 STARTERS and contributors for drive to FF:
PG -- Crystal Dangerfield
SG/SF -- Katy Lou Samuelson
SF -- Megan Walker (wing if you like)
PF -- Napheesa Collier
C -- Olivia Nelson-Ododa
6th "man" -- Christyn Williams (backs up Lou, Crystal, & Megan)

Now it gets hard!!! I am tempted to say another 6 "man" rotation ... AGAIN! Health has so much to do with who will/can contribute.
1. Batouly Camara - PF/SF (health?)
2. Mikayla Coombs - PG/SG (health?)
3. Kyla Irwin - PF/SF (contributed last season; will she continue to improve?)
4. Molly Bent - PG/SG (was improvement possible?)
5. Lexi Gordon - SG/SF (commitment to hard work?)
Can Gordon get out of Geno's doghouse this season? I have not heard much about her. I heard Walker was working with Collier but nothing about Gordon. Could Williams push Walker to 6th "man" role? Depends on Walker's improvement. Williams strikes me as a hard worker and not a timid frosh on or off the court.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
the best case scenario has Christyn Williams picking up much of the scoring slack along with a new and improved Megan Walker while an injury free Batouly Camara and super frosh ONO control the boards..is it too early to ask who's going to take over for Napheesa and KLS after they graduate?
Uh, yes...waaaaaaay too early imo.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In big games I suspect Geno will go with a rotation of 6 unless Miakyla or Batouly surprise us (not saying they won't - but if either earns minutes in big games, I think that would constitute a surprise)...

There will probably be 5-6 games that are "big" games (not looking at schedule). Another 4-5 that should be competitive at times, and then the rest probably blowout types. This season, more than most, I would think Geno would want to rest the core 6 as much as possible and see how the reserves do. The problem is putting Batouly, Mikayla, Kyla, Molly and Lexi on the court for any extended period of time will probably result in the other team eating substantially in to the lead. Again, maybe they all surprise us.

My gut tells me Geno will want to rest the core 6. But then again, practices are harder than games. then again, weren't our kids worn out a bit at the end of the year? I know I'm all over the map but I really have no idea how Geno will manage the team this season. Gonna be a fun ride!!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The obvious answer is that nobody's going to fill those particular roles. Walker will provide more scoring than Gabby, less defense and passing, a lot of rebounding. It's quite possible that the work she did with Collier last summer will lead to a connection between them and a lot of passes between them in the high/low post. ONO can provide the back-line shot blocking. I'm hoping that some combination of Williams and Coombs can provide some perimeter defense in Kia's absence. If Camara is healthy, she can provide a bruiser inside, something we haven't had in a few years.

WRT EricLA's post, cutting back the minutes of 5-6 players doesn't have to mean having all the scrubs out there at once. You can cut five players back from 36 to 30 minutes a game by playing two people for 15 minutes, etc. I'm thinking the bench is deep with good players. In addition to the returning starters plus Walker, we'll possibly get quality minutes from Camara, Coombs, Williams, Nelson-Odota, and Irwin. I'm hopeful that Gordon will make a significant sophomore leap. I'd love to see Molly make a junior leap, but I'm just not sure it's in the cards.

One great thing about this team is they can go with different looks. Most obviously big (ONO, Collier, Walker, Samuelson, and Dangerfield) and small (Collier, Samuelson, Williams, Coombs, and Danger). They have amazing scoring potential, and if they can develop the team defense of two years ago by the end of the season, they'll be a lot of fun to watch.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The need for an effective BIG was masked by leaping and Dynamic Gabby. Azura Stevens try as she could she was really a great wing she had amazing fire power. The Hockey toughness, 3 point shooting and at times an effective PG of Kia must be filled. These are holes. To get to the Elite 8, FF, NC the new kids and sophs must fill and exceed the production of this terribly missed 3: Gabby, Kia , Azura. Who shall stand tall and provide the missing talent? Who among the Soph's and Freshmen can do it?

This is a question UConn Nation is very interested in learning the answer to. A question the staff has also asked. A question we probably won't have the answer to until the conclusion of the Paradise Jam Tournament Nov 22-24. UConn will be 7 games into their pre-conference schedule. The two exhibition games against NAIA Vanguard and D2 Southern Conn. St., won't be a true test for UConn as these two teams are vastly over matched, and will doubtfully expose any weaknesses UConn may have.

The games against Ohio St., Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, St. Johns and Purdue should no doubt provide enough D1 level competition to gauge exactly what Geno and staff have to work with this year. Since one game does not a conclusion make, a more intelligent and informed conclusion can be made AFTER watching these 5 games. Charlie Creme does not have tOSU listed in his preseason top 25 for 2018-19. DePaul (Nov 28) is listed at #14.

I'll wager that 1-2 returning reserve's stock will rise by distinguishing themselves during this tournament. Hopefully we'll begin to get on-going reports from the team beat writers on the "state of the team" the second week of official practice.

I along with a few others believe that Megan Walker will be promoted to starter this year. Who will be the 5th starter at this point is anyone's guess. Can Geno find his 5th starter amongst the returning reserves, or will he be forced to turn to freshman Christyn Williams? Irwin, Camara, Coombs and Williams should be strong candidates to fill that role.

I would like to see the two freshmen at the end of the bench to begin the season. Why? :confused: That would mean that all of the returning reserves have made their respective leaps over the summer, and forced the freshmen there. It would mean that all of them are out performing the freshmen in practice, and are ready and able to play significant meaningful minutes this year.

No more cheer leading for them. Let the freshmen cheer lead. We'll find out when the team breaks the huddle on November 4 against Vanguard, and see which 5 take the court. I wonder when Geno tells the 2 new starters they've been promoted? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Lest we forget.....

ZYQ0IoMt

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Lest we forget.....

ZYQ0IoMt

Kia's role/position will not be easily filled. She played hard on both ends of the court without fear or fatigue. She was never afraid of floor burns, or sticking her nose in the middle of a scrum for a loose ball. She mastered the art of keeping her man in front of her.

Neither player gave up on this play. This is the type of hustle, grit and determination I want every member of the team to embody and demonstrate this year. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Rotation will probably be 6 or 7 at most if we’ve learned anything from the past 2 seasons. Our team was stacked last year and we only played 6 in the FF. What I’m most worried about is if Pheesa gets in foul trouble we might as well mail it in. Katie Lou might be our best player but Napheesa is certainly our most important bc of lack of any post presence behind her.

Reaction Score
Rotation will probably be 6 or 7 at most if we’ve learned anything from the past 2 seasons. Our team was stacked last year and we only played 6 in the FF. What I’m most worried about is if Pheesa gets in foul trouble we might as well mail it in. Katie Lou might be our best player but Napheesa is certainly our most important bc of lack of any post presence behind her.

ONO will prove to be stronger in the post then many think............she clearly needs more muscle but is an elite athlete capable of blocking shots and rebounding at both ends of the floor

Reaction Score
I don't agree with the premise actually. I don't think its about filling the holes because I think the coaching staff will remake the offense and defense to fit this iteration of the team. That's what makes these coaches so great. I agree with an earlier comment that said they never filled in for the previous greats because you really can't. Its got to be about the players you do have.

Reaction Score
the best case scenario has Christyn Williams picking up much of the scoring slack along with a new and improved Megan Walker while an injury free Batouly Camara and super frosh ONO control the boards..is it too early to ask who's going to take over for Napheesa and KLS after they graduate?
Thanks I tried to be specific about which Frosh or Soph would fill the void left by the three that are now Wnba. Replacements are not in my viewing area. Thanks.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with the premise actually. I don't think its about filling the holes because I think the coaching staff will remake the offense and defense to fit this iteration of the team. That's what makes these coaches so great. I agree with an earlier comment that said they never filled in for the previous greats because you really can't. Its got to be about the players you do have.
Interesting comment. Sports like all other adventures of mankind find ways often to keep the teams running and while no one will specifically be Kia, Gabby, Z someone must occupy a starting position that they no longer occupy. That's the premise. No replacement, no exact replication just who has a chance to fill the void in the rotation. Thanks for the response.

Reaction Score
Kia's role will not be easily filled. She played hard on both ends of the court without fatigue. Neither player gave up on this play. This is the type of hustle, grit and determination I want every member of the team to embody and demonstrate this year. :mad:
My sentiment exactly, thanks..

Reaction Score
Azurá ====> Olivia Nelson-Ododa
Gabby ====> Megan Walker
Kia ====> Christyn Williams
Katy Lou Samuelson
Napheesa Collier
Crystal Dangerfield

January 3, 2019 STARTERS and contributors for drive to FF:
PG -- Crystal Dangerfield
SG/SF -- Katy Lou Samuelson
SF -- Megan Walker (wing if you like)
PF -- Napheesa Collier
C -- Olivia Nelson-Ododa
6th "man" -- Christyn Williams (backs up Lou, Crystal, & Megan)

Now it gets hard!!! I am tempted to say another 6 "man" rotation ... AGAIN! Health has so much to do with who will/can contribute.
1. Batouly Camara - PF/SF (health?)
2. Mikayla Coombs - PG/SG (health?)
3. Kyla Irwin - PF/SF (contributed last season; will she continue to improve?)
4. Molly Bent - PG/SG (was improvement possible?)
5. Lexi Gordon - SG/SF (commitment to hard work?)
Can Gordon get out of Geno's doghouse this season? I have not heard much about her. I heard Walker was working with Collier but nothing about Gordon. Could Williams push Walker to 6th "man" role? Depends on Walker's improvement. Williams strikes me as a hard worker and not a timid frosh on or off the court.
Thanks! You hit on the question marks if only half improve as Gabby did Frosh to Soph to Jr Geno will ask his mom to say another prayer and so shall I.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What we usually see is that no one player replaces all of what we lost when another player leaves. But the returning player has strengths that the departing player did not. In addition, all of the returning players typically get a little better.

I agree that very roughly Olivia replaces Azura, Megan replaces Gabby, and Christyn replaces Kia.

Liv needs to get stronger in her upper body and needs to learn not to swat at shots (Z didn't fully learn that).

Meg is not the passer that Gabby was, but she may be a similar physical specimen and rebounder. She's more aggressive on offense by nature.

Christyn is not the defender that Kia was, but her offensive game may be more complete. I don't know if her 3-point shooting is as elite.

With Z gone, Pheesa can roam the interior, as she did as a sophomore. I expect to see her scoring back closer to 20 ppg.

I expect Lou to be All-World.

Crystal will take up some of the assists that Gabby made last year.

I'm not sure we will be as good as last year, but by early 2019, there should be little difference.

In terms of replacing Lou and Pheesa, that's an ouch! But it's an effective sales pitch to Ms. Jones and Ms. Horston.

Reaction Score
The 3 that left cannot be replaced as they all brought a sizeable skill set to the team! Especially Nurse and Gabby!
But I've maintained since last May that this year the starting 5 will be:
Crystal Dangerfield = PG (will be at an AA level player)
Megan = SG
KLS = Wing/SF (will be at an AA level player)
Napheesa = PF (will be at an AA level player)
Batouly = C

Substitutes:
C. Williams = first SG/PG off the bench
Irwin or ONO = first big off the bench
Coombs, Molly, & Gordon will be much improved but will fight for extra time

Reaction Score
The 3 that left cannot be replaced as they all brought a sizeable skill set to the team! Especially Nurse and Gabby!
But I've maintained since last May that this year the starting 5 will be:
Crystal Dangerfield = PG (will be at an AA level player)
Megan = SG
KLS = Wing/SF (will be at an AA level player)
Napheesa = PF (will be at an AA level player)
Batouly = C

Substitutes:
C. Williams = first SG/PG off the bench
Irwin or ONO = first big off the bench
Coombs, Molly, & Gordon will be much improved but will fight for extra time
I agree Napheesa, Katie lou, Danger are a GIVEN and most probably Megan too.
You have seen more of Touly than I have so your assumption is better than mine.Thanks...

Personal note: Hope the health issue is subsiding and the energy is returning--you've been running this marathon for much too long.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom