Who do you think makes the final 4 this year? | The Boneyard

Who do you think makes the final 4 this year?

Pick the "other" 2 teams to make the final 4 (up to 2 choices)

• Notre Dame

• Louisville

• Baylor

• South Carolina

• Mississippi State

• UCLA

• Ohio State

Results are only viewable after voting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In another thread, I said I did not think SC would make the final 4 this season.

Let's assume that UCONN and Texas are locks. Who are the other 2 teams to make the final 4 (your opinion so far thru the first month of the season)?

I chose Notre Dame and then it was tough between UCLA and Baylor. I know UCLA beat them, but it was at home and Baylor was without Cox.

Reaction Score
Except for UCONN, I hope there will be lots of upsets. Like last year.

Reaction Score
While Texas appears to be stacked, I would rather wait until they played a couple of real teams before they got an automatic seeding in the final four. Given your parameters, I went with Baylor and ND.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
While Texas appears to be stacked, I would rather wait until they played a couple of real teams before the got an automatic seeding in the final four. Given your parameters, I went with Baylor and ND.
While I don't disagree, I wanted to give more options and therefore needed to assume that one other team besides UCONN would make the FF. Also, Texas is without Holmes - she comes back in January I believe. Should be at full strength when the teams meet.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Texas is loaded. A lot of the points Texas scores is in transition. They good real good at causing turnovers. I watched some of their game toady at Georgia. They have a very quick and athletic team.

Reaction Score
just for grins because its way too early for knowledgeable predictions....UCONN, Baylor, UCLA and ND

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Sooooo much goes into this. Its so hard to figure it out right now... (other than guessing)

Lets look at sites

1. Albany New York--LIkely UCONN #1 seed in this regional. If we win out then its all but likely the scenario her.

2. Lexington Regional--So this is where it gets very interesting. Likely candidates could be South Carolina, ND, Louisville, or tOSU. If ND wins out the ACC and loses no more games they will in all likely hood go to Lexington.
What if Louisville wins the ACC and tourney over ND (not likely but possible)?
Some may say South Carolina here. Well ND beat South Carolina in the head to head match up. Even if South Carolina wins out the SEC it would seem ND would land in this regional.

3. Kansas City--Does this get Baylor or Texas??? If ND or South Carolina played either of these we may get a better understanding. Do both of them go here?? Does the #2 of these head to Albany or Lexington as the 2 seed?? Could the South Carolina/ND that didnt get Lexington go here??

4. Spokane--Will South Carolina get sent here again?? Well if UCLA wins out the PAC and their victory over Baylor then they could get the #1 seed in this bracket. Could ND be sent here instead??

Its hard to predict the FF because it really depends on where the teams are seeded and where they land. There seems to be dark horses lately. Mississippi State, Oregon State, Washington, Stanford??? Just thinking about those teams it seems the PAC 12 is sneaking someone in routinely now. Something to watch out for.....

I love WCBB.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Texas is far from a lock....I'd say UCONN is the only lock at this point.

For the last 3 spots, I'd guess they go to:

Notre Dame-they've looked like the #2 team in the country thus far, especially after today. Good inside presence with Shepard and really strong guard play.

South Carolina-I don't see Wilson being denied a Final Four appearance in her last season. SC looks quite solid.

Tennessee- My darkhorse (and homer) pick...Tennessee looks a LOT better than they do a year ago. Amazing what some good chemistry and team dynamics can do. I don't expect them to be a top seed but I think they can put together a FF run in March.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tennessee- My darkhorse (and homer) pick...Tennessee looks a LOT better than they do a year ago. Amazing what some good chemistry and team dynamics can do. I don't expect them to be a top seed but I think they can put together a FF run in March.

Tennessee has played an extremely soft schedule and has yet to play a game on an opponent's home floor. I know there are several young players but the schedule so far has been embarrassing by Tennessee standards under Summitt. We really don't know if this team is a lot better than last year.

Reaction Score
1.UCONN- looks incredibly hard to beat this year once again.
2. ND- Talented and well coached always two recipes to reach the FF
3. SC- there's not a player in the Country who's playing better then A'ja Wilson right now. This team is only going to get better once it gets healthy.
4. Toss up- Baylor,Louisville, Texas, UCLA, and Miss St can all make it but we'll have to see more in conference play.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee has played an extremely soft schedule and has yet to play a game on an opponent's home floor. I know there are several young players but the schedule so far has been embarrassing by Tennessee standards under Summitt. We really don't know if this team is a lot better than last year.
Next week Texas at Tennessee. We will know more about where both teams are.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Valid points. A lot remains to be seen, but I think if there's a year it could happen, this is the year. Most of the top teams are down compared to a year ago, and I think Tennessee has the talent to reach the Final Four. Most importantly, Tennessee is playing with much more of a chip on its shoulder compared to previous seasons and I think they have the mental toughness to pull out tight games. I could be 100% wrong though, as this is an area they've struggled with the past 2 seasons.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
At this point, based on how teams are playing, I'm seeing 8 teams as strong candidates for the Final Four:
  • UConn is still the #1 team and overall favorite.
  • Notre Dame has (re)established itself as the apparent #2.
  • And then, in no particular order: Louisville, Baylor, Texas, Mississippi State, South Carolina, UCLA.
These 8 teams could very well be the #1 and #2 seeds in the tournament.

Just behind these 8 teams is another tier of teams with an outside shot at a Final Four, possible but not likely: Ohio State, Oregon, West Virginia, Tennessee, Florida State, and maybe a couple others. These are the #3 and #4 seeds who will host the first two rounds of the tournament and, depending on how they develop between now and the end of the season, could get hot enough for a deep run in March.

Of course, a few of these teams, such as Texas and Tennessee, have yet to be tested against significant competition. Still lots of basketball to be played and lots of time for teams to get better (or not).

Reaction Score
Don't sleep on Louisville. A few of us Louisville fans alluded to this last year, but Jeff has some great pieces for this year. Even though they lost Moore to USC, it seems to have improved team chemistry. There are a lot of role players, but he has proven to be a magician with role players.

Dana Evans has been doing an outstanding job as a freshman PG; people are already witnessing what impact she's having by simply allowing Durr to play off the ball. Hines-Allen goes pretty much unnoticed on this board, but she'll go high in the draft this year. She has had one of the most amazing upwards trajectories of any other forward in this draft class...just a tough player who continuously works her butt off to expand her game. Dunham (sophomore) is turning into a rebounding machine. Let me not even get into Jaz Jones- def top 5 most athletic players in women's NCAA basketball right now. Her jump shot is Courtney Williams-esque.

Just don't count them out is all I'm saying...

Reaction Score
Leaving out University of Oregon, and Oregon State? These two (2) teams are already better this year than they were last year. I was at the OSU vs Notre Dame game. OSU lost, because lack of experience in closing out the game in the last 2 minutes. OSU was better than Notre Dame for 38 minutes. Notre Dame's experience at crunch time was the difference. University of Oregon is stacked (all the same top 6 players from last year), and, has a new, 6' 3" guard who is going to make some noise in the PAC12. I'll be back to your site when the NCAAs begin. Love your site!

Reaction Score
IMHO, UCONN, MissSt., TX, & UCLA, have the 4 best PG's!
At the end of the year the best PG's are a huge + in driving the bus to the Final Four!
UCONN's MoJeff, DT, Rizzotti, Montgomery, Crystal Dangerfield, Bird, Hartley, are a pretty good example of my theory!
L'ville with Durr would be my spoiler choice. In crunch time she usually has the ball in her hands and either distributes or shoots it herself!

Reaction Score
Still too early to tell.

We know UConn was able to beat Notre Dame in a really close battle on their home court and that Notre Dame was able to beat South Carolina on a neutral court in a close one. We know UConn was able to beat UCLA rather easily on the road without Samuelson and that UCLA was able to beat Baylor at home. WE know Texas is undefeated but hasn't played a ranked team. We know Ohio State still doesn't play the defense you need to play to make the Final 4. We know Mississippi State is undefeated but hasn't looked overly impressive against an unremarkable schedule (same as last year though). We know Louisville is undefeated with some close good wins. We know Stanford and Maryland are probably sitting out the Final 4 this year.

I would have to say UConn, Notre Dame, South Carolina, and Texas would be the favorites at the moment. With Baylor, Louisville, Mississippi State, and UCLA in the next range. Oregon, Duke, Ohio State, Tennessee, Maryland, and West Virginia in the next group.

I am rather confident if Mississippi State is in the 2 seed range they are getting sent with us to Albany. TV won't be able to resist a rematch.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom