Who Determines Who Plays at UConn? | The Boneyard

Who Determines Who Plays at UConn?

Reaction Score
Of course, Geno is the Great Decider. We see Geno on the sidelines, indicating when players go in or out, sometimes indicating pleasure or (more often) pain. Thus are immediate decisions, based on specific game conditions and personnel performance.

But we know from various media releases that Geno is not forming decisions alone. Geno, CD, Shea, and Marisa sit in his office discussing the team. And we see them in practice, standing apart from the team, discussing both the play and the players. The point: Geno gets a lot of information from his other coaches and together they form a broad consensus. Nearly every head coach of every team in every sport in the world goes through much the same process.

"We were very meticulous about the player-development piece of it...Mosely said" The core four behind UConn's 90 straight wins

Each of the coaches has responsibility for player development by position. Decisions about one player can significantly impact the other players and each coach's approach is similarly impacted. Geno knows that if he ignores their opinions or overrides them too often, he will lose them as effective colleagues and upset team balance. It needs to be a give-and-take, a process of consensus formation.

Sure, Geno is making the immediate decision of sending in or taking out a player at a given moment (though it sure seems as if CD is whispering in his ear). But broadly, over the course of several games or a season, player development is the responsibility of the entire coaching staff. So, if (say) the past couple of games Meg is not getting the minutes and it isn't (say) her still recovering from her flu, it is almost surely something that the coaching staff decided together—and decided for reasons that we can only guess (and how many of your guesses in life have turned out to be correct? not many of mine!).

Reaction Score
Of course, Geno is the Great Decider. We see Geno on the sidelines, indicating when players go in or out, sometimes indicating pleasure or (more often) pain. Thus are immediate decisions, based on specific game conditions and personnel performance.

But we know from various media releases that Geno is not forming decisions alone. Geno, CD, Shea, and Marisa sit in his office discussing the team. And we see them in practice, standing apart from the team, discussing both the play and the players. The point: Geno gets a lot of information from his other coaches and together they form a broad consensus. Nearly every head coach of every team in every sport in the world goes through much the same process.

"We were very meticulous about the player-development piece of it...Mosely said" The core four behind UConn's 90 straight wins

Each of the coaches has responsibility for player development by position. Decisions about one player can significantly impact the other players and each coach's approach is similarly impacted. Geno knows that if he ignores their opinions or overrides them too often, he will lose them as effective colleagues and upset team balance. It needs to be a give-and-take, a process of consensus formation.

Sure, Geno is making the immediate decision of sending in or taking out a player at a given moment (though it sure seems as if CD is whispering in his ear). But broadly, over the course of several games or a season, player development is the responsibility of the entire coaching staff. So, if (say) the past couple of games Meg is not getting the minutes and it isn't (say) her still recovering from her flu, it is almost surely something that the coaching staff decided together—and decided for reasons that we can only guess (and how many of your guesses in life have turned out to be correct? not many of mine!).
Actually, the players decide if they play or not by executing in practice and making it so the coaching staff has no choice but to play you.

Reaction Score

We have seen video of the 4 coaches in Geno's office discussing the development of each player, everyone gets their opinion voiced. On the more current mode; we have seen both Shea and Marisa voicing their views to an "in-game" Geno. I have to believe that they too are saying, in clean up time, this kid has earned or that kid needs more practice or words of that nature. \
Geno to his great strong personality can accept advise and diverse views--if done at the right time, in the right manner.

Reaction Score
But Bags ....
This goes against everything I read here and the collective boneyard attitude - WE decide who plays and when, don't we?!
:rolleyes:
I don't know about you----but I try hard get MY player the PT she TRULY deserves.
I guess I need a new mode of communication the BY or tweeter or email does not seem to be working..

Reaction Score
CocoHusky, Milford Husky, Meyers7 , OldDude and Bags27 determine who plays but only for AAC games...............:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
CocoHusky, Milford Husky, Meyers7 , OldDude and Bags27 determine who plays but only for AAC games.....:rolleyes:
Does that mean you get to determine the OOC games? I thought we agreed we'd share that market.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom