Who cares if Huskies stay in Big East? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who cares if Huskies stay in Big East?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"I've seen this kind of coaching decision before I can't remember a good outcome."

You must have missed Jim Boeheim taking over at Syracuse, then.

And John Thompson III at Georgetown

Reaction Score
No chance of that happening. Susan has pissed off the Big East leadership with her handling of expansion...last year basically telling them to screw off, and this year telling them we were going when we weren't. They ain't doing her any favors.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No chance of that happening. Susan has pissed off the Big East leadership with her handling of expansion...last year basically telling them to screw off, and this year telling them we were going when we weren't. They ain't doing her any favors.
That means they have no problems with Pitt, Cuse, Ville or ND.

Reaction Score
"I've seen this kind of coaching decision before I can't remember a good outcome."

You must have missed Jim Boeheim taking over at Syracuse, then.

And John Thompson III at Georgetown
Well except Boeheim had 7 years as Danforth's assistant, and really 1975 was a very different time anyway. How different? Do you know where Danforth left Syracuse for? I'll give you a guess...they just joined the Big East. that's right, Tulane was a step up from Syracuse in 1976. so that isn't really a legit comparison. that is how much the college landscape has changed. And JTIII had 5 years as an assistant and another 5 as a successful head coach at Princeton befroe he took the job. Ollie was picking up towels in the locker room by comparison.

Reaction Score
That means they have no problems with Pitt, Cuse, Ville or ND.
No, of ocurse not. But those teams don't need special consideration to go to the tourney. If on e of them did, or if the Big east had a rule saying if you are leaving you can't get the automatic bid, that would be different and they wouldn't get a waiver either.

caw

Reaction Score
yeah i know hes recruited well, but the exposure is nothing like it was for them

That's because for all the talent they get they continue to underperform. If the school doesn't perform well, or at least play in big events, they won't get exposure. Look at Texas, how much have you heard about them in the past 2 years?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No, of ocurse not. But those teams don't need special consideration to go to the tourney. If on e of them did, or if the Big east had a rule saying if you are leaving you can't get the automatic bid, that would be different and they wouldn't get a waiver either.
Point I was making is that the BE may dislike UConn's posturing but they definitely have to hate the moves of schools that are leaving. If UConn stays in the BE after this season (I'm hoping things work out so this isn't so) and IF UConn can elevate its play to knock off one of those four teams in the tournament then many BE schools stuck with the bad outcomes of CR would love to see UConn put those schools in a lower NCAA bracket.

Your point was that there is an emotional backlash against President Herbst. So why isn't there an emotional backlash against the outgoing teams or the conferences they are heading towards? Emotional anger isn't directed to one individual as you point out.

caw

Reaction Score
Well except Boeheim had 7 years as Danforth's assistant, and really 1975 was a very different time anyway. How different? Do you know where Danforth left Syracuse for? I'll give you a guess...they just joined the Big East. that's right, Tulane was a step up from Syracuse in 1976. so that isn't really a legit comparison. that is how much the college landscape has changed. And JTIII had 5 years as an assistant and another 5 as a successful head coach at Princeton befroe he took the job. Ollie was picking up towels in the locker room by comparison.

You are correct there is no exact comparison for Ollie.

The closest is probably Fred Hoiberg: 11 Year NBA career, 1 year as NBA assistant coach for the Timberwolves, moved to front office of Timberwolves, became head coach at ISU. Starting 3rd year at ISU, 43-29 overall, one NCAA appearance with a 1-1 record. 4-2 this year with losses to UNLV and Cincy. Basically, he was cleaning the urinals if Ollie is picking up towels.

At the same time Hoiberg took over for ISU and not UConn or Jim Calhoun. Of course Ollie also has a NC ring as an assistant and already has half the top 25 wins of Hoiberg.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

priceless

how wrong can wrong be? this here be one of the more "wronger" posts I ever be reading

but but but but but, they all be different

Reaction Score
butler, gonzaga, and sdsu would be great bb adds. xavier does nothing and like uconn can be added later. aleady have cincy...

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Sure, I'd rather be in the Big10 but it seems that ship has sailed. And if the ACC comes knocking again I wouldn't join with those bastards. I kind of like the idea of going independent in football and joining a basketball-only conference.

UConn
Providence
St. John's
Seton Hall
Marquette
Georgetown
Villanova
Temple
Xavier
Cincinnati

among others

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's pretty goddam bad. Probably all the other conferences have lined up against us. That's all right. These things gotta happen every five years or so, ten years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood. Been ten years since the last one. You know, you gotta stop them at the beginning. Like they should have stopped Hitler at Munich, they should never let him get away with that, they was just asking for trouble.

50 plus posts after yours and no one gave a tip of the cap to the clemenza quote. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Sure, I'd rather be in the Big10 but it seems that ship has sailed. And if the ACC comes knocking again I wouldn't join with those bastards. I kind of like the idea of going independent in football and joining a basketball-only conference.

UConn
Providence
St. John's
Seton Hall
Marquette
Georgetown
Villanova
Temple
Xavier
Cincinnati

among others
What you're really saying is that you want UConn to drop football and become a basketball school. Because that is effectively the result of what you're proposing.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
What you're really saying is that you want UConn to drop football and become a basketball school. Because that is effectively the result of what you're proposing.

If we don't get into the B10 we have no football future.

Reaction Score
I don't know that that's true. And beyond that, if we don't have football we have no chance of going anywhere in the future. ACC, Big 10, Big 12, none of them are taking a basketball only school. None.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I don't know that that's true. And beyond that, if we don't have football we have no chance of going anywhere in the future. ACC, Big 10, Big 12, none of them are taking a basketball only school. None.

Well that's why I'm saying if we get left out of the Big10 or any other conference big enough worth stressing over, then dump football its just acquiring the losses with Paulie Pee at the helm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom