Who can take over a game when needed? | The Boneyard

Who can take over a game when needed?

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
As always the Huskies seem poised to win it's share of games this season. However, the question I have is when facing an opponent capable of playing good aggressive team defense, who will be the player(s) on this team that demands the ball and truly believe they can score on anyone, get a decent shot up or at least create scoring opportunities for others off the bounce?
Every dominant Husky team has had one or more players who were consistently capable of doing so..

A healthy Dangerfield, no doubt would be a prime candidate with exceptional ball control and quickness, unfortunately as it stands, seems to settle more often than not for shooting the deep bombs.

Christin Williams has most of the tools required for this role, let's hope those talents translate to a multitude of and 1's this season.

The other person I'm closely watching this season, in this role, is the rookie Anna Makurat. She has the "SSS factor", Skill, Strength, and Size to be a mismatch generator against most teams..

Olivia and Megan will no doubt score quite a bit this season, but neither I'm comfortable with having the ball under 10 sec facing the hoop with a defender guarding them closely...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As always the Huskies seem poised to win it's share of games this season. However, the question I have is when facing an opponent capable of playing good aggressive team defense, who will be the player(s) on this team that demands the ball and truly believe they can score on anyone, get a decent shot up or at least create scoring opportunities for others off the bounce?
Every dominant Husky team has had one or more players who were consistently capable of doing so..

A healthy Dangerfield, no doubt would be a prime candidate with exceptional ball control and quickness, unfortunately as it stands, seems to settle more often than not for shooting the deep bombs.

Christin Williams has most of the tools required for this role, let's hope those talents translate to a multitude of and 1's this season.

The other person I'm closely watching this season, in this role, is the rookie Anna Makurat. She has the "SSS factor", Skill, Strength, and Size to be a mismatch generator against most teams..

Olivia and Megan will no doubt score quite a bit this season, but neither I'm comfortable with having the ball under 10 sec facing the hoop with a defender guarding them closely...
Aubrey Griffin can create her own shot, no problem...

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
Aubrey Griffin can create her own shot, no problem...
Athletic indeed, but at this stage not quite convinced she is a consistent finisher, more likely the one securing a rebound and put back(s).. Would love nothing more than to see her develop into such a player though.

Reaction Score
Christyn because of her combination of size, strength, speed, and skill. Megan because after what I saw yesterday it looks like she’s finally tapping into her potential to be a dominant scoring threat. Crystal because she’s taken over a game before (end of UCLA last year) and has the tools to rise and fire quickly. Anna because her drives yesterday were astounding. It’s about time UConn had a driver that finishes through contact AND clearly isn’t afraid of it (might even go so far as to say she seeks it out).

Reaction Score
There have been games when in the crunch someone was given the ball while one side was cleared out but that was for Maya and DT, and even then it was for a late game or end of period situation. UConn simply doesn't play one on one much. That doesn't mean they have no ankle breakers, just that they use ball movement where other teams use dribbling skill to create good shots.
And IMO young women players spend way too much of their practice time before college learning fancy moves. I see them do it in every game. A crossover, followed by a spin, and then a shot that often misses the basket completely. No one seems nearly as skilled making a shot as they are in creating a chance for a shot.
If I was a coach my team would run a layup drill at the end of every practice, when they are tired, and it would go on until they went several times through the roster without missing. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

This sentence seems to be about who you'd want to have the ball at the end of the game, but I would interpret "taking over a game" as something different.

I think of taking over a game as a player taking it upon her shoulders to lift the team when they're behind or otherwise having a crappy game. On offense, I'd pick Walker or Williams. On defense, Nelson-Ododa.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
There have been games when in the crunch someone was given the ball while one side was cleared out but that was for Maya and DT, and even then it was for a late game or end of period situation. UConn simply doesn't play one on one much. That doesn't mean they have no ankle breakers, just that they use ball movement where other teams use dribbling skill to create good shots.
And IMO young women players spend way too much of their practice time before college learning fancy moves. I see them do it in every game. A crossover, followed by a spin, and then a shot that often misses the basket completely. No one seems nearly as skilled making a shot as they are in creating a chance for a shot.
If I was a coach my team would run a layup drill at the end of every practice, when they are tired, and it would go on until they went several times through the roster without missing. Just a pet peeve of mine.
Everyone is well aware that our huskies play as a unit both on offense and defense as a general rule, however, there are times when our team's offense is ineffective because the opposing teams have found ways to disturb our rhythm, either by being extremely physical, or having defenders capable of taking away our more consistent scorers.. If we look back at all the games we lost in the last three seasons, you might find that to be the common thread..

Having players like Mo Jefferson, DT, Gabby to name a few who could create their own shot off the bounce helps in those situations.. I was not suggesting that they go away entirely from team ball, just on the possessions when we are already 20-25 seconds into the clock, to be able to give a player the ball who can create their own shot and score or get fouled consistently.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
This sentence seems to be about who you'd want to have the ball at the end of the game, but I would interpret "taking over a game" as something different.

I think of taking over a game as a player taking it upon her shoulders to lift the team when they're behind or otherwise having a crappy game. On offense, I'd pick Walker or Williams. On defense, Nelson-Ododa.
That sentence was about when we are deep in the shot clock on any possession against a team that have been successful at guarding against our read and react offense. So it doesn't have to be specifically at the end of the game.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
That sentence was about when we are deep in the shot clock on any possession against a team that have been successful at guarding against our read and react offense. So it doesn't have to be specifically at the end of the game.

Ah, got it. I would definitely be comfortable with Megan having the ball in that situation.

Reaction Score
Wow, we seem to be all over the place. Has anyone done it before? Yes, Crystal, recently, in the NCAA tournament.

Everyone else? Possibilities abound for CW, MW, AG (big maybe right now...) and AM (possibility.)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Going into their last exhibition game tonight, what do YOU want to see from the starters? The bench? The team as a whole?

Reaction Score

While Anna Makurat is new to US college sports she isn't a rookie as rookies goes. She played Pro.
Aubrey Griffin, is a true rookie but with a big up side and was NY's Player of the Yea.
CW--come on--She took over the ND game as a new STARTER freshman, came on big in the NCAA's
Now that she is one of the 2 or 3 GO-TO players and Geno demands she take over--watch her go. She was the first and only option in high school --she knows the drill.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't think UCONN has anyone who can "take over" a "bigger" game. They do not have a Chennedy Carter or Sabrina Ionescu. Those players not only have the ball in their hands a majority of the game, but also are the best scorers/players on their teams.

I think in general in close games, Geno will want the ball in Crystal's hands, and let her make decisions. He may surprise and run a play for Christyn or Megan, but in General, I think he will want Crystal, with her experience, to help the team find the best open shot.

I think Christyn is special. By next year, or her senior year, she might be that player who can take over a game. But right now, I don't think UCONN has anyone who can.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
I don't think UCONN has anyone who can "take over" a "bigger" game. They do not have a Chennedy Carter or Sabrina Ionescu. Those players not only have the ball in their hands a majority of the game, but also are the best scorers/players on their teams.

I think in general in close games, Geno will want the ball in Crystal's hands, and let her make decisions. He may surprise and run a play for Christyn or Megan, but in General, I think he will want Crystal, with her experience, to help the team find the best open shot.

I think Christyn is special. By next year, or her senior year, she might be that player who can take over a game. But right now, I don't think UCONN has anyone who can.
We have seen glimpses of the potential of both Crystal and Christyn when it comes to taking over a game. The skill/ability is obviously there the question to be answered is can either do it consistently enough and do they truly believe they can at this stage of their careers. With a healthy Crystal, I would say yes definitely. Right now, I'm not quite sure Christyn's confidence is where it needs to be. A lot of missed layups and some hesitation on her outside shot at times. But the season is still young. Meagan appears to be the most confident at this position but does not have the ball-handling skills of either of those two.. Anna is definitely an x-factor, but is struggling a bit with her shot ATM and needs to avoid turning the ball over.. So let's get the ball to ONO as often as we can as she is looking awfully good so far in this early season.... Let's go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
Christyn because of her combination of size, strength, speed, and skill. Megan because after what I saw yesterday it looks like she’s finally tapping into her potential to be a dominant scoring threat. Crystal because she’s taken over a game before (end of UCLA last year) and has the tools to rise and fire quickly. Anna because her drives yesterday were astounding. It’s about time UConn had a driver that finishes through contact AND clearly isn’t afraid of it (might even go so far as to say she seeks it out).
Anna reminds me of a past AA that when she drives to the hoop! Shea Ralph

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom