Who are your top 5 freshman? | The Boneyard

Who are your top 5 freshman?

Reaction Score
My top 3 are pg’s. Top 4 are guards. Leger-Walker because she had to carry her team all year by herself.

1. Paige. UConn
2. Caitlin Clark Iowa
3. Diamond Johnson Rutgers
4. Charlisse Leger-Walker Wash St
5. Maddie Westbeld ND

Honorable Mention: Brink Stanford, Van Lith and Cochran L’ville, Scott Miss, Cordosa Syracuse

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
That’s a pretty good list that I would call the 1st team.
The 2nd Team could be:
Paopao Oregon
Leger-Walker WSU
Cardoso Syracuse
Donarski Iowa St
Edwards UConn
Honorable mention TvO OSU, Miles ND, Van Lith Lou, Ware Arizona, Dugalec Oregon

Reaction Score
Bueckers
Clark
Leger-Walker
Westbeld
Johnson

Yep that's my Top 5 also
Would've wanted to see how Reese if she didn't get injured and DeJesus before Duke canceled its season materialized.

Reaction Score
My top 3 are pg’s. Top 4 are guards. Leger-Walker because she had to carry her team all year by herself.

1. Paige. UConn
2. Caitlin Clark Iowa
3. Diamond Johnson Rutgers
4. Charlisse Leger-Walker Wash St
5. Maddie Westbeld ND

Honorable Mention: Brink Stanford, Van Lith and Cochran L’ville, Scott Miss, Cordosa Syracuse

That’s a pretty good list that I would call the 1st team.
The 2nd Team could be:
Paopao Oregon
Leger-Walker WSU
Cardoso Syracuse
Donarski Iowa St
Edwards UConn
Honorable mention TvO OSU, Miles ND, Van Lith Lou, Ware Arizona, Dugalec Oregon
With Leger-Walker as part of your second team, who would take her place on the original list posted?

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
With Leger-Walker as part of your second team, who would take her place on the original list posted?
I should put a disclaimer that any post after 1 AM is subject to review. I missed that Charlisse was on our fine colleague @Tazmazz starting 5, and Leger-Walker absolutely deserves to be on that 1st team as she was the first freshman to lead the PAC12 in scoring in a long time or ever (@nwhoopfan correct me here).

Replacing her on the 2nd team would be probably Van Lith (11.0 pts 2 assists, 1.9 To) though for a position balance putting teammate Olivia Cochran (11.0 pts, 6.7 reb) on the 2nd team is ok as well as she's played better the 2nd half of the year.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Can we just do a top 10? lol

(in no order):
  1. Bueckers (UConn)
  2. Clark (Iowa)
  3. Brink (Stanford)
  4. Cardosa (Syracuse)
  5. Westbeld (ND)
  6. Johnson (RU)
  7. Leger-Walker (Washington St)
  8. Paopao (Oregon)
  9. Cochran (Louisville)
  10. Lexi Fleming (Bowling Green)
Just missed cut: Hailey Van Lith (Louisville), Priscilla Williams (Syracuse), Edwards (UConn), Evans (UNC)

Reaction Score
As of now, it looks like Olson did a really nice job ranking the 2020 class. Westbeld and Edwards probably should have been a little higher, but overall a really nice job.

Even when Pao Pao was the lowest ranked of Oregon’s frosh, I had predicted that she would be the best. It wasn’t much of a shocker because of how impressive she was during her AAU and high school seasons. So smooth and has a deadly pull-up jumper. Excited to watch her grow. I really like Dugalic too, she’s just in a tough spot behind Boley, Sabally, and Prince.

I’m also interested to see what Hailey Van Lith can do in a backcourt with Evans. She’s been a little up and down this year (down as of late), so it’ll be interesting to see what she can do when she has a more opportunities.

Reaction Score
She hasn't had nearly the exposure or quantity of games, but Sasha GoForth was recognized by the PAC-12 for All PAC-12 Freshman Team, & Honorable Mention for All-defensive team. With the horrible PAC-12 Network, her exposure has been limited. I would have her at least on the honorable mention Freshman AA list.

Reaction Score
As of now, it looks like Olson did a really nice job ranking the 2020 class. Westbeld and Edwards probably should have been a little higher, but overall a really nice job.

Even when Pao Pao was the lowest ranked of Oregon’s frosh, I had predicted that she would be the best. It wasn’t much of a shocker because of how impressive she was during her AAU and high school seasons. So smooth and has a deadly pull-up jumper. Excited to watch her grow. I really like Dugalic too, she’s just in a tough spot behind Boley, Sabally, and Prince.

I’m also interested to see what Hailey Van Lith can do in a backcourt with Evans. She’s been a little up and down this year (down as of late), so it’ll be interesting to see what she can do when she has a more opportunities.
Also a fan of Dugalic. She seems better suited to OSU system vs UO--maybe she'll transfer?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Can we just do a top 10? lol

(in no order):
  1. Bueckers (UConn)
  2. Clark (Iowa)
  3. Brink (Stanford)
  4. Cardosa (Syracuse)
  5. Westbeld (ND)
  6. Johnson (RU)
  7. Leger-Walker (Washington St)
  8. Paopao (Oregon)
  9. Cochran (Louisville)
  10. Lexi Fleming (Bowling Green)
Just missed cut: Hailey Van Lith (Louisville), Priscilla Williams (Syracuse), Edwards (UConn), Evans (UNC)

That's a pretty solid Top Ten (and full team if you take your whole post).
  • Westbeld and Cardosa were just named ACC rookies of the year.
  • Brink has made Stanford better once inserted into the starting lineup
  • Johnson is really in control for Rutgers. I'm impressed every time I see her.
  • Edwards is a bit of a surprise in just how good she has been. Agree with the comment that while Olson has been pretty spot on in his ratings for this group, Edwards and Westbeld should've been a tinge higher.

No need to comment on Bueckers and Clark except that both came in highly ranked and then proved it. And them some more. And some more. ?

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I should put a disclaimer that any post after 1 AM is subject to review. I missed that Charlisse was on our fine colleague @Tazmazz starting 5, and Leger-Walker absolutely deserves to be on that 1st team as she was the first freshman to lead the PAC12 in scoring in a long time or ever (@nwhoopfan correct me here).
Probably correct. Can't think of any Fr. that led the league in scoring previously. Some high scoring Frosh like Wiggins (Stanford), Chrishae Rowe (Oregon) and Plum (UW) were probably close.

Looks like Leger-Walker and McDonald are both at 19.4. Not sure how it works out if you take it further decimals. I do have to add the caveat that this has to be one of the lowest point totals to lead the league in scoring in quite a while.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Probably correct. Can't think of any Fr. that led the league in scoring previously. Some high scoring Frosh like Wiggins (Stanford), Chrishae Rowe (Oregon) and Plum (UW) were probably close.
Wasn't Plum's freshman year the same year that Chiney was a senior and averaged like 26 ppg? But can't miss the chance to drop her name :)

Reaction Score
That's a pretty solid Top Ten (and full team if you take your whole post).
  • Westbeld and Cardosa were just named ACC rookies of the year.
  • Brink has made Stanford better once inserted into the starting lineup
  • Johnson is really in control for Rutgers. I'm impressed every time I see her.
  • Edwards is a bit of a surprise in just how good she has been. Agree with the comment that while Olson has been pretty spot on in his ratings for this group, Edwards and Westbeld should've been a tinge higher.

No need to comment on Bueckers and Clarke except that both came in highly ranked and then proved it. And them some more. And some more.

It's understandable regarding Edwards as national attention in the US only happened late in her basketball career. Also, while Crestwood had a heavy US schedule, I'm not sure how much attention was paid to the games they played in Canada in the league they compete out of.

I agree regarding Westbeld. She's been fun to watch. I like her motor/energy. It's going to be interesting to see how she and Miles develop as a tandem.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wasn't Plum's freshman year the same year that Chiney was a senior and averaged like 26 ppg? But can't miss the chance to drop her name :)
Yes, Plum and Rowe were the same season, something like 20.7 and 21.7 respectively.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Ok, not that this belongs on this thread but what the heck is going on in the ACC with 2 sets of votes for all the awards-Blue Ribbon Panel vs. Coaches? BRP has Cardoso as FOY while the Coaches have Westbeld. I don't know of any other conference that allows "non-coaches" the right to select their awards. Isn't that bit confusing? I mean now neither Maddie nor Kamilla can hang a banner of "Unanimous ACC FOY"....:rolleyes:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I forgot Lexi Donarski of Iowa State on my list, who I think would be in the "just missed the cut" section.

It will be interesting to see if we still think these are the top 10-15 players in their class by the time these players are juniors and seniors. I expect we will see others emerge, who for whatever reason will have had quieter freshman seasons, in the upcoming years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom