Who are you most excited to see play this year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who are you most excited to see play this year?

Reaction Score
After thinking about this a bit, it was remarkable to me that we really don't have any players that are a lock to be very similar to last year. Among the returnees Aubrey coming back from injury, Azzi hoping to make a major leap after an injury plagued year and new responsibility as the star, Caroline with a recovered hip, Dorka coming back from a wrist injury and now in a new role as the full time center instead of the third big, Aaliyah trying to be the freshmen instead of sophomore version of herself, and even Nika who on paper might be the closest to a predictable season since she is now a junior and not coming off an injury.

In her case, at a minimum she has an enhanced role because of Paige's injury, but because of that situation there is pressure on her to remake her game, score more, and make more things happen offensively. So between newcomers, injuries, and different roles and expectations we really don't have anybody that we can just plug in last year's performance and presume more of the same this year. For many of those there is a reasonable hope for a significant improvement which makes it that much more interesting.

If I had to pick one, it would be Azzi, but like several who have pointed out how many interesting questions and stories there are with the entire roster, if I could vote for everybody that would better sum up my interest heading into the season.

Reaction Score
Just watched last year's Stanford game. That team was maybe elite 8 without Paige. No way they win NC State and Stanford without Paige. As good as this team is, they can't replace Paige. Our bigs rebounded but couldn't score against Brinks. Azzi was no where in sight for most of the game as they shut her down. They couldn't shut down Paige. One of our new players is going to have to be extremely good for us to have any chance. Or maybe a healthy Caroline. We need players who can score against top defenses and Paige was the unicorn. I would add that leaving Azzi at the 3 point line makes her very easy to shut down. Put the ball in her hands.
Well, there is no one else in the country as good as Paige for her position- and you may be right in wondering who can generate a shot when needed even if tightly guarded. Caroline? Lou or Azzi? Or one of the forwards? We still are very strong at the guard position with Azzi & Caroline healthy, Nika is going to do great, and Lou is a fantastic addition. If Aubrey is good again and can expand her offensive game, that would be fantastic. It is at the forwards & centers where I think we are definitely improved & will become more power oriented. As important as Liv was last year, she always seemed to me to be a finesse player. I think Aaliyah is going to be stronger, and I'm not sure what to expect from Dorka, but I hope she's at least as good as Liv was. I think Ice and Ayanna are going to be difference makers for us, especially if they show that power game & concentrate on crashing the boards and boxing out.

So, if we had to play Stanford again, even without Paige, I think we still win.

Reaction Score
Peak Caroline: she blocks a shot and controls the ball, then immediately flings it down the court to a streaking teammate. She did stuff like this a few times last season. So crafty. I expect to see a lot more plays like this.
Good call, Bone Dog. If Caroline can be back 100 percent from surgery and, as has been suggested, will be stronger and playing pain-free, she could well make a big leap in '22-23. Apparently, Caroline '21-22 was a diminished edition... can't wait to see what the fully charged Caroline might be able to bring to the Huskies.

I'll add that what oldhuskie just posted and others have said before, pretty much every player is a bit of a mystery, which will make every minute of every game well worth the watch, no matter the game score! Go, Huskies!

Reaction Score
If this question pertains to overall team success, I’ll go with Amari.
Two freshmen are going to be pushing her BIG TIME to leapfrog her for court time.
If she prevails, it will bode fantastically for this year and beyond.
I have upmost confidence in the backcourt talent and numbers and refuse to get into the debate that success hinges on Nika scoring 12 instead of 4.
Rebounds, kick outs, put backs, boxing out and blocks should be vastly improved this year.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I want to see how much everyone has improved from last year.
i happened to meet up with an old pal the other day, who once was my coach. he was, and still sorta is, a preeminent and pioneering supporter for both the team, and girls basketball overall. his resume speaks for itself.
i sez 'i like the squad, and feel strongly that sum kind of magic is percolating there.' he almost exploded in a south carolina 'wonderfulness' rant. 'no way! carolina's great! boston this, boston that, blah, blah, blah.'
now, i know that this great and good pal, had some heart plumbing work in the past year or so, so i give some space to his grumpiness, but his adamance was a bit too much for me, and so i say, 'hey bub, not once but twice in the past two playoff seasons, u told me that team x was going to win, and i said Uconn. remember those?'
he knows me for a very long time, gets a bit crankier, and sez 'u r a pain in the butt, like always...'
i sez 'u look pretty good. keep doing what ur doing...'
new year pleasantries and hopes for a healthy one were then exchanged, and, of course, i asked him 'how are ur beloved dodgers gonna choke this year?'
i think he then said, 'ahhh, go soak your head in borscht,' which is odd since some kind of exorcist looking green pea soup was on the menu.
i asked the host, 'whut? no chicken soup with kreplach? isn't that sum kind of automatic technical foul this time of year?' she just groaned and told the dog to sic me, but that dustmop just turned and ran...

sun

Reaction Score
I'm most excited to see Ice play.
She's got some fire in her and IDK how UConn will be able to keep her off the court unless Geno intends to use her as a secret weapon.
If she gets enough PT she'll be able to outscore Edwards.
She'll be drawing fouls and turning FG's into 3 point plays.
She's a gamer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Peak Caroline: she blocks a shot and controls the ball, then immediately flings it down the court to a streaking teammate. She did stuff like this a few times last season. So crafty. I expect to see a lot more plays like this.
I agree. I've been praising Caroline since she first came to UCONN. I was Katie Lou Samuelson's biggest rooter because I thought she was the ultimate player and teammate. I see the same in Caroline and want her to fill my expectations and excel past her expectations. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Ice Brady. Last year there was a missed lay-up issue. Ice does not miss at the rim, has a mean jumper and will take up so much space in the lane.

Reaction Score
GEAinAustin I think we intuit what's coming. Ayanna will lead the way. Dr. A at Uconn!

Reaction Score
All of the players, naturally but I am really excited to see Aaliyah Edwards and what she has added to her game.

Reaction Score
Caroline
My choice. The question that has to be answered: Did the surgery, hip problem, create physical and/or mental issues. Will be playing with abandon or thinking too much.

Next will be Ayanna how good (or bad) can she be? ICE-is she all she is reported to be? If either or both of these live up to billings, UcWbb team shall be a tough game to win for ALL opponents.

Reaction Score
Rocky, I'm not sure whom you are referring to, or to whom you are referring (for the purists).
If that is Ayanna--she is a??? with potential
If ICE, she comes with high commendations
If Caroline it is because of her tremendous Freshmen (REALLY??) play last year and her surgery
If Lou, Connecticut media and Geno, have given her high praise--is she that good??

But, Sir Rock (hope your injury is settling down and recovery is upon you.) Best and sincere wishes for a Well Rocky.

Reaction Score
Ice, Patterson, and, Lou because I believe they will bring the missing ingredients from last year Rebounding, toughness, and consistent shooting from the guards. Notice I said shooting not scoring E and CW were good scorers but not consistent shooters and teams played zone a lot to stop penetration and limit scoring from inside the paint consistent outside shooting will solve that and we finally have big strong inside players and Patterson can both inside and out but shooters gotta make shots and And I believe Lou along with Azzi and CD will make that happen

Reaction Score
Ice, Patterson, and, Lou because I believe they will bring the missing ingredients from last year Rebounding, toughness, and consistent shooting from the guards. Notice I said shooting not scoring E and CW were good scorers but not consistent shooters and teams played zone a lot to stop penetration and limit scoring from inside the paint consistent outside shooting will solve that and we finally have big strong inside players and Patterson can both inside and out but shooters gotta make shots and And I believe Lou along with Azzi and CD will make that happen
Not much to disagree with. I saw Azzi and Caroline differently. Both Freshman both new to Geno's style. Yet, when the chips were down, who led the scoring ? Fudd, IMO, is a great scorer. She reminded me of KML, whom was a fantastic shooter (usually called a 3 point shooter, but she could score all over the court and played basketball). I think Azzi has that in her. Caroline, bad hip and all, proved she belonged with the greatest team/coach in WCBB. She took over games, made at least ONE impossible shot with less than 1 second on the clock for the win (how's that for a Shiny new Freshman??). I'll hold my assessment of your chosen few until I see them against top talented Div 1 teams. My greatest hope is--you are right!!

Reaction Score
After thinking about this a bit, it was remarkable to me that we really don't have any players that are a lock to be very similar to last year. Among the returnees Aubrey coming back from injury, Azzi hoping to make a major leap after an injury plagued year and new responsibility as the star, Caroline with a recovered hip, Dorka coming back from a wrist injury and now in a new role as the full time center instead of the third big, Aaliyah trying to be the freshmen instead of sophomore version of herself, and even Nika who on paper might be the closest to a predictable season since she is now a junior and not coming off an injury.

In her case, at a minimum she has an enhanced role because of Paige's injury, but because of that situation there is pressure on her to remake her game, score more, and make more things happen offensively. So between newcomers, injuries, and different roles and expectations we really don't have anybody that we can just plug in last year's performance and presume more of the same this year. For many of those there is a reasonable hope for a significant improvement which makes it that much more interesting.

If I had to pick one, it would be Azzi, but like several who have pointed out how many interesting questions and stories there are with the entire roster, if I could vote for everybody that would better sum up my interest heading into the season.
That speaks for most of us (hightlighted). I have fantastic (emphasis on FAN) hopes for the new kids on the block. If I'm forced (it won't take much) to pick ONE, that has to be Caroline. If 90 percent returning (remember she was operating on 1.4 or less hips last season) she will be GREAT, at 100 percent, extraordinary! For me, if she returns at 50 percent I'll be a very happy camper. Every year I anticipate the new kids will be another Sue, DT, Swin, Tamika, Shea, Sveta, KML, Dolson, Maria, Shoie, Tina, Maya, Rene, Stewie. About every 3 years that happens, we are due.

Reaction Score
Ice, Patterson, and, Lou because I believe they will bring the missing ingredients from last year Rebounding, toughness, and consistent shooting from the guards.
Toughness is what I want a lot- other teams have been taking whacks at us & refs are reluctant to call fouls, I guess. We haven’t always been the toughest team on the court. Getting tough with the rebounding- I hope Geno makes the team run laps for an hour for every time that another team out rebounds us. And on offense near the basket- i would love to see players seeking more contact and getting to FT line a lot more.

Reaction Score
Just watched last year's Stanford game. That team was maybe elite 8 without Paige. No way they win NC State and Stanford without Paige. As good as this team is, they can't replace Paige. Our bigs rebounded but couldn't score against Brinks. Azzi was no where in sight for most of the game as they shut her down. They couldn't shut down Paige. One of our new players is going to have to be extremely good for us to have any chance. Or maybe a healthy Caroline. We need players who can score against top defenses and Paige was the unicorn. I would add that leaving Azzi at the 3 point line makes her very easy to shut down. Put the ball in her hands.
I not sure that I watched ( and have rewatched ) the same UCONN vs Cardinal, Semifinal NCAA
BB game that you describe. I enjoyed watching Paige shoot and score over Brinks ( multiple times in
the game film and in the highlight film) . Azzi made that problem
move on the inbound pass to her, but.... was she "shut down'"?? Remember we were without
Dorka and therefore ONO and Edwards had to be VERY careful not to get into significant foul trouble....
I'll have to watch the whole game again ( gladly) to see how ONO and Aaliyah were " not scoring".
Well, we won... didn't we??? I'll take the " W ". I believer that we would have handled Stanford with room to spare... if we had DORKA unjuried and suited up ... did you take that into consideration???
Lose one major player and the whole dynamic of the game changes... No?

Reaction Score
I tend to most enjoy watching the whole team do their individual and collective
"thing". No partiality. But .. I am particularly interested in watch DORKA shine
and Lou Lopez showing her talents ( and helping the team ). Lastly I want to see
Aubrey return to health and make that " Senior " (?) jump to a new level.
EVERYONE EATS!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom