Who Are These People?!?! SPOILER ALERT | The Boneyard

Who Are These People?!?! SPOILER ALERT

Reaction Score
Does anyone know who these Serbian players are who have made it to the Olympic semifinals? After the Australian game, Sue Bird was effusive with her praise of the Serbians, stating that these players are "ballers", and that she plays against tough Serbian players on lots of European league teams.

And who ARE these Japanese players who knocked off the superstar forward Emma Meeseman and her Belgian team?! The announcer said that they're missing their excellent 6'5" post player, but I have no idea who they're talking about. But Japan was scrappy, shot superbly from three, and had the US team on tenterhooks until late in the game. Are they playing in a Japanese league? In Europe?

For that matter, I was immensely impressed with France, both when playing us, and against Spain in their semifinal game. Gabby was Gabby, strong in every aspect of the game. But I finally got to watch Sandrine Gruda, the forward Connecticut selected with an early draft pick years ago, hoping to entice her to the WNBA. She was excellent. And Marine Johannes was a very impressive guard. Who this 19 year-old forward, Rupert, is, I don't know, but lots of promise. And for that matter, Spain's Alba Torrens, a teammate of Sue and D who won the European League championship, is certainly impressive.

The international cohort in the WNBA appears to be just the tip of the international talent iceberg. There appear to be amazingly talented players whom we never get a glimpse of. But one thing's for sure: the days of unquestioned American dominance are over. We beat Australia by 24, which is a tight game by the standards of virtually every Olympics of the past. But consider that that 24-point win came against a team that didn't have Liz Cambage, arguably the best post player in the world. How the outcome could have been different had she participated?

I hope that news from overseas leagues becomes easier to access in the future. European soccer games are regularly broadcast in the US. Perhaps ESPN will feature some top overseas teams as well in the future.

But if anyone can tell us about who these Serbians are, or Japanese, I'm all ears!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In the 2016 Olympics Team USA played 8 games and the average margin of victory was 37 points. The 2 closest games were against France (86-67) in the semis and against Serbia (110-84) in a preliminary round game. Serbia scored more points (84) against the US than any other team in the 2016 Olympics.

Serbia failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.

Serbia is led by Jelena Brooks, Sonja Vasic (formerly Petrovic who played 2 seasons for the Mercury), Yvonne Anderson (played collegiately at Texas) and Ana Dabovic (played for LA Sparks). Brooks, Vasic and Dabovic are well-known and successful Euroleague players.

The average age of the Serbian team is 30 years, same as Team USA.

Reaction Score
"Brooks"? Not a very Serbian name. Know anything more about her? Do they play in Europe because the pay is better, and they simply can't be bothered to come over to the US for a couple of months for minimal pay?

Bigs?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
"Brooks"? Not a very Serbian name. Know anything more about her? Do they play in Europe because the pay is better, and they simply can't be bothered to come over to the US for a couple of months for minimal pay?

Bigs?
Really on the Brooks name? How about some women take their husbands name after marriage. Some players have mothers from the native country? Maybe they play in Europe because they live in Europe. [ ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Ana Dabovic has a sister, too, who's a pretty good player herself -- she's not on the Olympics roster and may no longer be playing.

Reaction Score
Really on the Brooks name? How about some women take their husbands name after marriage. Some players have mothers from the native country? Maybe they play in Europe because they live in Europe. [ ]

Oh come on! I'm curious. Asking questions. Trying to find out who's who. Getting perspective. OK?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Thanks for this link. China was very impressive, though not moving on. They're not only talented, but they're very young. The two star post players- 6'9" Han Xu and 6'7" Li Yurue are just 21 and 22 years old? And they have just three players over the age of 27, just one over 30. So this squad is coming back strong in three years' time. And they all play for Chinese clubs. Except for 6'4" post Angela Dugalic, who plays for UCLA, all of the Serbian players also play exclusively in Europe now.

We've been missing out!

Serbia is tenacious, shoots well, has good size. And their ability to freeze out the Chinese bigs means they may know how to handle the big front line of the United States. Should be an excellent game.

Reaction Score
Japan is without Ramu Tokashiki, the 6'4" post who made the WNBA All-Rookie Team in 2015. They beat Belgium despite Emma Meeseman's pouring in 38 points against them. And, again, the entire Japanese roster plays professionally in Japan.

They've got some talent there. A real joy, a real eye-opener to see that talent perform.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Does anyone know who these Serbian players are who have made it to the Olympic semifinals? After the Australian game, Sue Bird was effusive with her praise of the Serbians, stating that these players are "ballers", and that she plays against tough Serbian players on lots of European league teams.

And who ARE these Japanese players who knocked off the superstar forward Emma Meeseman and her Belgian team?! The announcer said that they're missing their excellent 6'5" post player, but I have no idea who they're talking about. But Japan was scrappy, shot superbly from three, and had the US team on tenterhooks until late in the game. Are they playing in a Japanese league? In Europe?

For that matter, I was immensely impressed with France, both when playing us, and against Spain in their semifinal game. Gabby was Gabby, strong in every aspect of the game. But I finally got to watch Sandrine Gruda, the forward Connecticut selected with an early draft pick years ago, hoping to entice her to the WNBA. She was excellent. And Marine Johannes was a very impressive guard. Who this 19 year-old forward, Rupert, is, I don't know, but lots of promise. And for that matter, Spain's Alba Torrens, a teammate of Sue and D who won the European League championship, is certainly impressive.

The international cohort in the WNBA appears to be just the tip of the international talent iceberg. There appear to be amazingly talented players whom we never get a glimpse of. But one thing's for sure: the days of unquestioned American dominance are over. We beat Australia by 24, which is a tight game by the standards of virtually every Olympics of the past. But consider that that 24-point win came against a team that didn't have Liz Cambage, arguably the best post player in the world. How the outcome could have been different had she participated?

I hope that news from overseas leagues becomes easier to access in the future. European soccer games are regularly broadcast in the US. Perhaps ESPN will feature some top overseas teams as well in the future.

But if anyone can tell us about who these Serbians are, or Japanese, I'm all ears!
Can't help much with the Serbian players, but they have had a good run. But I do appreciate the "tenterhooks" word choice. Well done.

Reaction Score
I would have posted earlier, but today is the first day that I have been able to log in to this site in a while.

Japan's league has no foreign players so national team play is the only chance for other players to play them, although Spain's head coach moved to one of their club teams recently. That is why teams tend to have a hard time adjusting to their offensive style at the beginning of games as it is unlike anything else in basketball. Their American head coach Tom Hovasse only coaches the national team unlike pretty much all other national team coaches so he has time to scout all of his options in the local league and come up with ways to make his offense even tougher to defend. He has managed to deal with injuries to key players and new players seem to be able to easily slot into their new roles, but at this tournament, Rui Machida has been a passing wizard. When Oceania was combined into Asia for competition, people thought that Australia would dominate, but Japan has won all of the continental tournaments since.

Serbia is an experienced team with a number of players who have been stars in Europe with the momentum of just being crowned European champions. They are tough as they have adopted a big lineup and have a number of playmakers that make it harder to shut down their offense. Sonja Petrovic is their most important player and she is retiring after these two games so they have been rallying behind her all summer. She was useful off the bench in her two WNBA seasons, but she is at her best as a secondary playmaker from the 3 or the 4. Jelena Milovanovic also had one solid WNBA season and can also be a dangerous playmaker from the post as a 4 or 5. Tina Jovanovic is their center for defense, rebounding, and dirty work. They have started Aleksandra Crvendakic, who is more of a natural combo forward, at the 2. She attended a training camp with Seattle, but did not make the team as she does not really fit any one position in the WNBA. Ana Dabovic has been their starting point guard, but they do not rely on her to be a playmaker as she is more comfortable as a scorer off the bench, which was her WNBA role. Dragana Stankovic is a former WNBA draft pick who is their backup center. She was injured for EuroBasket, but looks like she is back as a solid role player. Nevena Jovanovic was impressive as a shooter off the bench at EuroBasket, but has not necessarily done that much in the Olympics. They naturalized Yvonne Anderson and have used her as a change of pace guard. I could see them using her more in a defensive role in the last two games. Sasa Cado, Dajana Butulija, and Maja Skoric are all solid European role players with plenty of experience even if they have not played much. Angela Dugalic was their only backup center at EuroBasket, but has not been needed in the Olympics and they probably wish that they had Nikolina Milic for a little more firepower.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The announcers were talking about the rotation tightening up for the US. But it hasn't. As soon as Staley put the subs in the momentum shifted to the Serbs in the 2nd quarter.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Serbia was rushed the entire game and looked disheveled. The fine tunded motion offense was ground to a halt. Amazing what that last little effort to get a hand up will do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom