Who are the rivals in the WNBA | The Boneyard

Who are the rivals in the WNBA

Reaction Score
Hello Basketball Fans,

We are the Know Rivalry Project. Since 2014 we have been studying rivalry for sports across the United States. Now we are expanding our rivalry research to the WNBA. We also want to start the rivalry conversation on this message board. Please help us ensure that your favorite team is included by taking 9 minutes to complete our updated survey:

Our previous results in the US have been highlighted in several sports media outlets, as well as the New York Times and Wall Street Journal. You can view those results, links to media coverage, and learn more about us at our KnowRivalry.com website.

This academic research has been approved by two US universities' Institutional Review Boards (IRB) and it poses no risks to respondents. You'll find more information on the disclosure agreement that is required to start the survey. We use the Qualtrics online survey software for data collection. Thank you for helping us to include your favorite team by participating and please share this with any other fans that may also help.

Jonah, Student Researcher, Northern Kentucky University
Dr. Joe Cobbs, Northern Kentucky University
Dr. David Tyler, University of Massachusetts—Amherst

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Good luck. I'll pass because, while I have favorite teams in the "W" I can't think of any real "rivalry's" that I feel. Now, in college sports, and baseball, yes. But the WNBA, not so much.

Reaction Score
Rivals to me, in professional sports, don't seem to matter anymore. Teams change /trade players constantly, so the bases is too dynamic. It's not like the old days when players went to a team and stayed there. There are always some exceptions, but generally, that's how I see it.

Reaction Score
Vegas & Chicago - For sure

PHX & Connecticut

Now LV and Connecticut

Minny vs LA use to be the show but they both seem to have regressed this year.

Reaction Score
What took you 7 years to decide to delve into the wnba

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I took the Survey. Interesting approach but perhaps not taking into account the college players connection to being a fan of a team or disliking another team

Reaction Score
Rivals to me, in professional sports, don't seem to matter anymore. Teams change /trade players constantly, so the bases is too dynamic. It's not like the old days when players went to a team and stayed there. There are always some exceptions, but generally, that's how I see it.
This is close to 100% accurate. Especially about the mobility of the players. In the NFL, MLB and NHL there are still major rivalries. (not so much in the NBA because there is too much player movement). I don't see the vitriol between fans in the WNBA as I do in other professional sports.

AZgirl

Pac-12 women's sports all day long
Reaction Score
This is close to 100% accurate. Especially about the mobility of the players. In the NFL, MLB and NHL there are still major rivalries. (not so much in the NBA because there is too much player movement). I don't see the vitriol between fans in the WNBA as I do in other professional sports.
I think WNBA fans feel like they have to defend the league as a whole, so real rivalries don't develop.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom