Who are some of your favorite past UCONN players? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who are some of your favorite past UCONN players?

Reaction Score
I really like all the players thru the years but to narrow it down, my favorite top 2 are Gabby Williams and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
There are so many players I just loved to watch over the years that naming them all would wear my typing thumb to a nub. So I'll just give one group shout-out. The TASSK force was such a pleasure to watch. A true force of nature. Tamika Williams, Asjha Jones, Sue Bird, Swin Cash and Kiersten Walters. Kiersten only had one healthy year so it was mostly the TASS force. They just dominated, game after game after game. What a team that was!!!
Agree, and the fourth member of that starting 5 was a sophomore by the name of Diana Taurasi. Not bad.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I like so many of them. Sue Bird, Kia Nurse, Stef Dolson, KLS, Gabby Williams, Paige , and Nika. But my all time favorite is Caroline Doty. There is just something magical about her that has always fascinated and inspired me.

Reaction Score
This is the umpteenth time we have had this post. I guess people never tire of it as an off season time filler.

Tierney Lawlor​

Reaction Score
Moriah, I'll never forget that hesitation step blow by against Tina Roy of South Carolina, or the way she frustrated McBride and Loyd.
Kaleena, lots of 3 pt daggers and just plain beautiful shooting form.
Lou, the toughness and competitiveness, just plain fun to watch and root for.

I could pick many, but I'll offer those three in this moment of recollection.

Reaction Score
I know I have way too many but for the reasons I give I can't separate them:
Mo Jefferson - So much heart packed into that little body!
Shea Ralph - never knew when to quit! Kept coming back till they told her she couldn't play anymore!
Caroline Doty - Same reason as Shea!
Kelly Faris - The textbook definition of a "team player"!
Paige Bueckers - If anyone was BORN to play BB it is Paige!
Svet Abrosimova - For having the guts at 16 or 17 to travel thousands of miles to get the BB and school education she never would have gotten back in Russia!
Nika Muhl - For her uncompromising hustle and desire!
Rebecca Lobo - For taking a huge chance to chase the DREAM Geno & CD were selling over her parents objections!
Gabby Williams - For always doing something on the court that I couldn't believe any human could do!
Jamelle Elliot - Played with all the BIGS at her 5'11" and outplaying all of them!

sun

Reaction Score
Rizzotti & Webber.

university-of-connecticut-guard-pam-webber-center-harrasses-an-the-picture-id121658613

Pam Webber Mitchell Acceptance, 2000 Blair County Sports Hall of Fame

Posted Jan 17, 2019

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The GOATs Sue & DT. "Punching something orange". No one ever had more attitude than DT.
Svet and Shea. Pure fun to watch. "Basketball is an easy game, coach makes it hard" (in a cute Russian accent)
The slime sisters Paige and Nika

There are 50+ honorable mentions.

Reaction Score
For me, it's the most underrated Husky of all time, Asjha Jones. She is the one player that the criteria on the wall needs to be changed for. She was absolutely the anchor for us offensively and defensively in the post, especially in 2002. AJ would've been a 20 & 10 player on just about every other UCONN team, she just payed in the years with a ridiculous amount of resources.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Favorite? Nah
Favorites

Svetlana, KJ, Stef I really liked. Also had a soft spot for Charde.

Reaction Score
Napheesa. (And since this is an oft-repeated exercise, I’ll borrow from my previous comments.)

Quiet. Dignified. Measured. Elegant. Efficient. Dedicated. Sporting. Diligent. Relentless. Intelligent. She never stopped working. Always ran the floor. Never lost her composure. Impeccable footwork. Great inside game. Great rebounder. Great eyes. Great hands. Great length. Great shot blocker. Great passer. Great teammate. And the best fingertips of any player I’ve ever seen.

An absolute workhorse. Played in every game in her 4-year career at UConn. Started every game her sophomore, junior and senior year. Never suffered even a minor injury. She even looked good when fouling.

Great arsenal of shots: in-between jumper; that little 10’ set shot; her up and under; her Euro-step; use of the glass; that indefensible turn around fade away; and eventually a shot beyond the arc (admittedly, never fully deployed during her college years).

Great movement without the ball; “nose for the ball”; uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time; facility for picking up easy put-backs; getting “garbage” buckets; her agility at deploying the famed Collier “cloaking device”. Was there ever a UConn player who moved better—more effectively, efficiently and intelligently—without the ball?"

UCONN RECORDS (from the website)
  • No. 2 in single-season points in 2018-19 (792) and tied for No. 4 in 2016-17 (754)
  • No. 2 in single-season field goals made in 2018-19 (323) and No. 3 in 2016-17 (310) [keep in mind theses are teams with considerable offensive talent--Kia, Gabby, Lou and later Crystal, Christyn and Megan]
  • No. 3 in career points (2,401)
  • No. 3 in career field goals made (986)
  • No. 3 in career field goal percentage (61.4)
  • No. 4 in career rebounds (1,219)
  • No. 4 in single-season scoring average (20.8 ppg)
  • No. 8 in career blocks (251)
  • No. 7 in career scoring average (16.0 ppg)
  • No. 7 in career rebound average (8.1 rpg)
  • No. 7 in single-season rebounding average in 2018-19 (10.8 rpg)
  • Fifth Husky all-time with 2,000 career points and 1,000 career rebounds
And possibly my favorite Collier stat: UConn single-season rebounding record in 2018-19 (411). (That’s right: not Rebecca, not Stewie, not Stef, not Tina, not Kara, not Maya . . .)

Top sum it all up in the words of Geno Auriemma: “I don’t worry about Napheesa.”

Reaction Score
Stacy Hansmeyer setting a pick on Randall (I think) vs TN is classic. Kelly, Jamelle, Svet, Nika.

IIRC Stacy had something like 10 blocks against TN in the 2000 championship game. Greatest game she ever played.

Reaction Score
Nykesha Sales
Swin Cash
Renee Montgomery
Maya Moore
Bria Hartley
Moriah Jefferson
Morgan Tuck
Napheesa Collier
Gabby Williams

Reaction Score
Napheesa. (And since this is an oft-repeated exercise, I’ll borrow from my previous comments.)

Quiet. Dignified. Measured. Elegant. Efficient. Dedicated. Sporting. Diligent. Relentless. Intelligent. She never stopped working. Always ran the floor. Never lost her composure. Impeccable footwork. Great inside game. Great rebounder. Great eyes. Great hands. Great length. Great shot blocker. Great passer. Great teammate. And the best fingertips of any player I’ve ever seen.

An absolute workhorse. Played in every game in her 4-year career at UConn. Started every game her sophomore, junior and senior year. Never suffered even a minor injury. She even looked good when fouling.

Great arsenal of shots: in-between jumper; that little 10’ set shot; her up and under; her Euro-step; use of the glass; that indefensible turn around fade away; and eventually a shot beyond the arc (admittedly, never fully deployed during her college years).

Great movement without the ball; “nose for the ball”; uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time; facility for picking up easy put-backs; getting “garbage” buckets; her agility at deploying the famed Collier “cloaking device”. Was there ever a UConn player who moved better—more effectively, efficiently and intelligently—without the ball?"

UCONN RECORDS (from the website)
  • No. 2 in single-season points in 2018-19 (792) and tied for No. 4 in 2016-17 (754)
  • No. 2 in single-season field goals made in 2018-19 (323) and No. 3 in 2016-17 (310) [keep in mind theses are teams with considerable offensive talent--Kia, Gabby, Lou and later Crystal, Christyn and Megan]
  • No. 3 in career points (2,401)
  • No. 3 in career field goals made (986)
  • No. 3 in career field goal percentage (61.4)
  • No. 4 in career rebounds (1,219)
  • No. 4 in single-season scoring average (20.8 ppg)
  • No. 8 in career blocks (251)
  • No. 7 in career scoring average (16.0 ppg)
  • No. 7 in career rebound average (8.1 rpg)
  • No. 7 in single-season rebounding average in 2018-19 (10.8 rpg)
  • Fifth Husky all-time with 2,000 career points and 1,000 career rebounds
And possibly my favorite Collier stat: UConn single-season rebounding record in 2018-19 (411). (That’s right: not Rebecca, not Stewie, not Stef, not Tina, not Kara, not Maya . . .)

Top sum it all up in the words of Geno Auriemma: “I don’t worry about Napheesa.”
Thanks for typing this all out for me. She was my favorite from her first few games as a freshman. A coach's dream.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom