Who’s the starting 5 come tournament time? I’ll go first.. | The Boneyard

Who’s the starting 5 come tournament time? I’ll go first..

Reaction Score
Coaches don’t change that much unless injuries dictate. We saw it with KO who refused to change and I don’t see Clingan starting with Sanogo.

Reaction Score
Hawkins, Jackson, and Sanogo are guarantees. Also a guarantee that Clingan won't start with Sanogo starting. I think Karaban has shown enough to keep his starting spot but there's a chance Johnson could take that back. Newton has to start producing more as I think we look a lot better with Diarra on the floor. Ultimately I'd put it at a 70% chance we will continue with the same lineup we have been rolling with.

Reaction Score
PG Jackson
SG Hawkins
F Karaban
PF/C Clingan
PF/C Sanogo
I started a thread proposing this exact starting lineup and couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately, it seems this entire board disagrees.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think the only change you might see is Diarra/Newton. But ideally Newton picks his play up.

Reaction Score
As I’ve said we need Tristan to be better or we’re in trouble. If we go in to any stretch where Diarra is our starting PG we won’t be very good. Newton is our X factor without a doubt.

Same starters!

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Coaches don’t change that much unless injuries dictate. We saw it with KO who refused to change and I don’t see Clingan starting with Sanogo.
And KO has what to do with this current team?
HCJC and Perno rarely changed starters - why not bring them up?

Reaction Score
And KO has what to do with this current team?
HCJC and Perno rarely changed starters - why not bring them up?
Because I wanted KO to give some players more of a chance and he was like Hurley and most coaches, married to their preconceived lineups, unwilling to try new things. I think it’s based on loyalty to upper class men, who knows but we see it a lot. It was Carlton at that time early in his career showing promise and being nailed to the bench with KO. We’ve all known for weeks that Clingan deserved more run and Hurley is just now getting around to it.

Reaction Score
Same starting 5. But I’d love to pair Johnson/Sanogo and Clingan/Karaban. It would ensure we have shot blocking on the court at all times. It won’t happen. But that’s the way forward imo

Reaction Score
This was a sneaky way of having the “let’s go two bigs” convo again, bravo.

I hope the starting lineup is the same as it is now, means DH hasn’t panicked out of necessity and there haven’t been any injuries.

Reaction Score
PG Jackson
SG Joey C
F Hawkins
PF Karaban
C Sanogo

AJax takes over PG from Newton. Joey C is a better shooter than Newton, he’s the starting SG.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
PG Jackson
SG Joey C
F Hawkins
PF Karaban
C Sanogo

AJax takes over PG from Newton. Joey C is a better shooter than Newton, he’s the starting SG.
This lineup would be absurd offensively. Defense would be significantly worse though.

Reaction Score
Clingan is a defensive game changer— he clogs the paint and protects the rim. He doesn’t have to start but we should get used to playing two big guys. Only way clingan gets to 27-30 min is by playing alongside another big for 13-15

Reaction Score
Clingan is a defensive game changer— he clogs the paint and protects the rim. He doesn’t have to start but we should get used to playing two big guys. Only way clingan gets to 27-30 min is by playing alongside another big for 13-15
Yup. When does Hurley realize this?

Reaction Score
This lineup would be absurd offensively. Defense would be significantly worse though.
IMO, Newton is no better defensively than Joey C.

The other lineup I can see happening is Newton at SG.

Either way, must move AJax to PG. where his passing abilities are maximized. Newton is better as a SG and his abilities would also be maximized .

The only issue I have with AJax at PG.is that he’s a huge rebounding asset and that’d be diminished at PG.

Reaction Score
In some ways Clingan brings as much energy to the team when he enters the game as John Gwynn did back in 89. I know 2 totally different players but my point stands. I would keep DC as first off the bench. If Newton does not show more want to win then he would be the player I would sit more. Try a good defender like Diarra. Once Samson comes back and can spell Karaban for a few minutes it will help Karaban out. Hawk disappearing on the road is a huge issue at this point. Hope it gets corrected. Maybe Ray stopping by today will help. AJax g, Diarra g, Karaban. Sanogo , Hawk.

Reaction Score
As I’ve said we need Tristan to be better or we’re in trouble. If we go in to any stretch where Diarra is our starting PG we won’t be very good. Newton is our X factor without a doubt.

Same starters!
His lack of scoring has surprised me, he averaged close to 18 ppg on 43% last year at ECU, compared to 9 ppg at 35% for us. He's obviously playing a bit less minutes and the BE is a step up in competition from the AAC, but if he could get us 12-14 a game on 40% shooting going forward then I think we would be in a very good spot come tournament time.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
His lack of scoring has surprised me, he averaged close to 18 ppg on 43% last year at ECU, compared to 9 ppg at 35% for us. He's obviously playing a bit less minutes and the BE is a step up in competition from the AAC, but if he could get us 12-14 a game on 40% shooting going forward then I think we would be in a very good spot come tournament time.
It makes me wonder what Sasser would average in Newtons spot.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Because I wanted KO to give some players more of a chance and he was like Hurley and most coaches, married to their preconceived lineups, unwilling to try new things. I think it’s based on loyalty to upper class men, who knows but we see it a lot. It was Carlton at that time early in his career showing promise and being nailed to the bench with KO. We’ve all known for weeks that Clingan deserved more run and Hurley is just now getting around to it.
Lol nothing was saving the roster at the end of KO’s tenure. The 2014 lineup changed a lot over the year btw.

Reaction Score
IMO, Newton is no better defensively than Joey C.

The other lineup I can see happening is Newton at SG.

Either way, must move AJax to PG. where his passing abilities are maximized. Newton is better as a SG and his abilities would also be maximized .

The only issue I have with AJax at PG.is that he’s a huge rebounding asset and that’d be diminished at PG.

Newton is much better defensively than Joey and it’s not too close. But we do need Joey to start making shots off the bench again because he also moves and passes well on that end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom