Whitmer scouting report | The Boneyard

Whitmer scouting report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As a rising high school junior. Excerpted from ESPN

If Whitmer were two inches taller he would have received a ton of early spring interest in his junior year.... possesses some real impressive physical tools, a live arm and excellent velocity on his throws both underneath and downfield...shows quality footwork and athleticism...possesses the arm to play in any scheme......

displays good drop speed and ball handling and gets set quickly. Can plant and throw on time on routes outside the numbers and wastes little motion when delivering the football. Shows excellent zip on underneath throws and can fit the ball into tight spots when on time. Can hit the seam down the middle and the front side skinny post with timing and accuracy.

Overall accuracy within the pocket and also on the move is very strong....has a knack for making things happen with his arm and legs. Shows...ability to subtly move in the pocket to find throwing lanes and get rid of the ball. Isn't afraid to take off and run when he has to and will lower his shoulder to get the first down.....shows good ball handling ability on play fakes.

Overall, possesses not only quality physical tools, but he is feisty and competitive. Very good player.

Reaction Score
Impressive, but he needs to possess Tyler Lorenzen's leadership skills to have a real shot at the job. I see the other guys working their collective butts, arms, feet and brains off--working with QB gurus during off season--and predict all will raise their QB stature by spring. It should be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Impressive, but he needs to possess Tyler Lorenzen's leadership skills to have a real shot at the job. I see the other guys working their collective butts, arms, feet and brains off--working with QB gurus during off season--and predict all will raise their QB stature by spring. It should be fun to watch.

Agreed. A QB needs to command the huddle, above all else, and that's a hard thing to define, what that means.

We had a QB competition going into 2011 because we had no choice but to have a QB competition. I think 2012 brings yet another multiple horse race at the QB position, but this time, even if the spring game is played in March/April rain/snow slop - that the ball will get moved through the air. The other side of that throw and catch equation will be racing too.

I'm personally expecting big things from #2. He's going to have a major advantage in starting point.

Reaction Score
Agreed. A QB needs to command the huddle, above all else, and that's a hard thing to define, what that means.

We had a QB competition going into 2011 because we had no choice but to have a QB competition. I think 2012 brings yet another multiple horse race at the QB position, but this time, even if the spring game is played in March/April rain/snow slop - that the ball will get moved through the air. The other side of that throw and catch equation will be racing too.

I'm personally expecting big things from #2. He's going to have a major advantage in starting point.
This works both ways. If a QB plays great than the huddle is easy to lead because the team will want to follow.

If a QB is lousy, he can command all he wants but no one will follow.

Reaction Score
This works both ways. If a QB plays great than the huddle is easy to lead because the team will want to follow.

Its one of those things that only matters when the qb is playing lousy or the offense isnt clicking. You think even after throwing 3 ints peyton manning isnt commanding respect in the huddle?

its like having poise in the pocket, you cant measure poise when no one is rushing. poise only matters when the qb is taking hits from rushers.

Reaction Score

Tell that to Tim Tebow.

Reaction Score
Right on Wingu!
And it's not always command, it's how the QB reacts to adversity. Players have told me that the main difference between Zach and Cody in the huddle was after a miscue. Zach got tight while Cody shrugged it off. The players can sense the difference. And as for Peyton Manning, it is still unbelievable that a team can lose every game after losing one guy. Where's the rest of the leadership? It certainly isn't coming from the head coach. He needs to be fired.

Reaction Score
Tell that to Tim Tebow.
That proves my point. Tebow is 7-1 and plays great a cruch time. You think if he didnt' perform they would follow. His "command" would mean squat if he was 0-8.

Reaction Score
Right on Wingu!
And it's not always command, it's how the QB reacts to adversity. Players have told me that the main difference between Zach and Cody in the huddle was after a miscue. Zach got tight while Cody shrugged it off. The players can sense the difference. And as for Peyton Manning, it is still unbelievable that a team can lose every game after losing one guy. Where's the rest of the leadership? It certainly isn't coming from the head coach. He needs to be fired.

This kills me. Endres, in his UConn career never led a game winning drive. Frazer did may times.

It's not how you react to adversity. Everybody on that fielld needs to react to adversity, for example, from coming back from a holding penaly on the offensive line, to coming back and playing coverage in pass D after getting lit up 1-1 for a TD.

At the QB position, It's if you get job done and the players know it. The problem we've had for too long, is that the QB position, is not the position that's relied upon to get f00king job done.

Reaction Score
This kills me. Endres, in his UConn career never led a game winning drive. Frazer did may times.

It's not how you react to adversity. Everybody on that fielld needs to react to adversity, for example, from coming back from a holding penaly on the offensive line, to coming back and playing coverage in pass D after getting lit up 1-1 for a TD.

At the QB position, It's if you get job done and the players know it. The problem we've had for too long, is that the QB position, is not the position that's relied upon to get f00king job done.

I almost think Cody ended up being raised up on this board, as a result of never really seeing the field. A lot of people convinced themselves he was better than he actually was.

Reaction Score
That proves my point. Tebow is 7-1 and plays great a cruch time. You think if he didnt' perform they would follow. His "command" would mean squat if he was 0-8.
LMAO

Then like you, his teammates must not be watching him suck for the first three quarters of the game. LMAO!!!!

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Maybe. But Cody always knew how to get good ganga.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The best part is that when the discussion of Frazer comes up, wins don't matter, only the passing numbers (which for Zach haters were completely unacceptable) yet they always bring up Cody's seminal win, against Cincy at the Rent where our defense scored more than they gave up, gave our offense prime opportunities all day and Cody's numbers were quite ordinary. Somehow (similar to a comment on another thread that Addazio using a power running game, which was his offense's strength was good coaching while whe RE did the same he was an uncreative coach) there is a different set of measurements used to evaluate Cody than there were to evaluate Zach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom