Whitmer 3 stars | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Whitmer 3 stars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess two conference championships, 5 bowl bids, including a Fiesta Bowl don't compare to what happened from 1990-1998 with Calhoun. :rolleyes:

If anything, the two decades are strikingly similar.

Actually, it doesn't. From 90 through 98, a nine year period (or the time we've been in the Rent), Edsall took UConn to 3 Elite Eight and 6 Sweet Sixteens. What we've done in football hasn't come near that.

Now, it's true that no one with an IQ in double figures should have expected the football team to have been able to have Top 8 and 6 Top 16 finishes over the first 9 years of its existence, but, obviously, there are posters on this board that apparently think it was a fair possibility to throw out there.

Reaction Score
Actually, it doesn't. From 90 through 98, a nine year period (or the time we've been in the Rent), Edsall took UConn to 3 Elite Eight and 6 Sweet Sixteens. What we've done in football hasn't come near that.

Now, it's true that no one with an IQ in double figures should have expected the football team to have been able to have Top 8 and 6 Top 16 finishes over the first 9 years of its existence, but, obviously, there are posters on this board that apparently think it was a fair possibility to throw out there.

Fair enough, but Calhoun certainly had the benefit of tournament play to win their way to those top finishes.

We'll never know how well the football teams would have done in a tournament format, but is there any doubt that the basketball team would have been stuck in some crappy "bowl" game those years and never had the opportunity to make the elite 8 were it not for the differing systems that manage postseason play?

We went 9-3 one year and didn't even get a bowl bid. If the basketball team went 24-8 they'd be guaranteed a tournament bid and have the opportunity to make it to the final 8/16.

To say what we've done shouldn't be considered a success is incredibly stupid, there's no nice way to put that.

Reaction Score
It's hard to compare football to basketball, it's really impossible and not fair, in basketball all you need is 7 guys and the game is such that you can overcome talent with strategy in some cases. It's apples and oranges.

Reaction Score
Bill Parcells alwasy said - you are what your record says you are.

Edsall is 76-80 overall as head coach. 4-7 as a member of the A-10, 20-26 as a 1-A independant, and 50-37 as a Big East member at UConn, and 2-10 this year at Maryland.

Does that tell the whole story? In 14 years as a head coach, Edsall has had 6 winning seasons overall and posted 8 losing seasons. In 9 years of head coaching with conference affiliation, he's posted winning conference recrods TWICE.

By comparison:

Paul Pasqualoni is 145-84-1 overall as a head coach. 34-17 at Western CT. 107-59-1 at Syracuse. 5-7 at UConn.

In 20 years of head oaching, he's had 3 losing seasons, and posted 17 winning seasons. He's posted winning conference recrods 13 of 20 years.

I'm happy with where we're at and where we've come from.

Edsall needed to change, or he needed to go for us to continue to learn to win more games.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
"if the big east just decided to stay together, it wouldn't have fallen apart"- waylon/nelson.

did he really say that?

Reaction Score
Naahhh. I'm real positive. Positive that I liked beating Fordham, Buffalo, South Florida, Rutgers & Syracuse. Positive that I don't like losing to the likes of Vandy and Iowa State. Positive that I (like many others) expect a lot out of the UConn football initiative. Right now I'm positive that I'd settle for a run comparable to mens' hoops (circa 1990-1998). Purposely leaving out the NC era.

Well said. +100

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.218902,-73.013510

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He couldn't win the job, transferred out, and was maybe given a second look. Guys move up and down during their high school career, no reason he couldn't move up or down two years later.

I've seen nothing but 9 minutes of highlights, so I don't know (or care) how accurate the rating is.

Well they changed offense from a pro style to more open spread offense. He is a pro style who can move when needed.

Reaction Score
Well don't wanna hurt anybody's feelings but are we ever gonna get a 5 star player? I doubt it.I'd take a team filled with Jory johnsons and yawin smallwoods any day.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Well don't wanna hurt anybody's feelings but are we ever gonna get a 5 star player? I doubt it.I'd take a team filled with Jory johnsons and yawin smallwoods any day.
we will soon enough. newsome!

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
OT: Witmer's LOI arrived today - he's officially a Husky!...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom