Which women's basketball prospect could be the next ______? | The Boneyard

Which women's basketball prospect could be the next ______?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Kind of a reach on all of these. The 14th ranked prospect in 2021 is going to be the next Candace Parker and the 12th ranked prospect of 2022 is the next Griner.....really?

Thank you, @DaBball , for posting the link.

@bballnut90 , to be fair (insert "to be fair" montage from Hulu/Crave's Letterkenny), here are a few of my notes, comments, and additional points for consideration in this discussion.

First, the comparison to Brittney Griner was for "[t]he next big dunker." It was not for the "next dominant defensive player and shotblocking presence" or "all-time dominant post presence." And fifth-ranked prospect Kamilla Cardoso, not #12 Ashlyn Watkins, was the recruit/player listed as the next dominant low-post center in "[t]he next true center" category.

Second, here are Blue Star Report rankings for a select group of high school players who later went on to greatness (was just discussing this with @EricLA and @ucbart yesterday):

#30 - Alana Beard (HS 2000)
#97 - Angel McCoughtry (HS 2004)

While Parker was a fully developed prospect early in her high school career and was being featured in national publications (SLAM Magazine, for one, if I recall correctly), certain players may not be as ranked as high right now, but have the potential to achieve greatness.

During the NBA Draft, commentators often refer to it as the proverbial "being drafted on potential over production" when a player is selected at a certain position based on that player's ceiling and not necessarily on performance /statistics to date (e.g., Paul George being taken 10th in the 2010 NBA Draft; good stats at Fresno State but not outstanding or even great, no NCAAT berths, considered raw in certain areas of his game, etc....and turned into a 6x All Star with berths on the All-NBA First Team (2019), Third Team (2013, 2014, 2016, 2018), All-NBA Defensive First Team (2014, 2019), and All-NBA Defensive Second Team (2013, 2016)).

Just a few additional items for consideration and discussion.

Reaction Score
They only compared the way they dunk. Watkins is a far different player than Griner. She is more comparable to A’ja Wilson. Watkins is certainly an impressive dunker though. I watched her throw one down during her championship game that brought the house down!

The part that confused me was saying Cardosa was the next best low post player, as if Aliyah Boston doesn’t exists....

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
The part that confused me was saying Cardosa was the next best low post player, as if Aliyah Boston doesn’t exists....

Per the opening paragraph of the article:

Here, we identify five high school girls' basketball prospects who could be the next big thing at the college level.
(emphasis added)

Reaction Score
Per the opening paragraph of the article:

Here, we identify five high school girls' basketball prospects who could be the next big thing at the college level.
(emphasis added)

I read that..... I also read where they said the last two dominant posts in College were McCowan and Brown, when Boston won the Lisa Leslie award, while also saying Cardosa would be the next best post coming to College this fall. They’re basically insinuating that the last dominant centers were Brown and McCowan while Cardosa is in line to be the next and that is certainly not the case.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I read that..... I also read where they said the last two dominant posts in College were McCowan and Brown, when Boston won the Lisa Leslie award, while also saying Cardosa would be the next best post coming to College this fall. They’re basically insinuating that the last dominant centers were Brown and McCowan while Cardosa is in line to be the next and that is certainly not the case.

Actually (per my source at ESPN), it was referring to the entirety of the four-year college careers of Brown and McCowan, with multiple years of dominance for each player. McCowan averaged over 18 ppg and 13.5 ppg for her junior and senior seasons combined, in leading MSU to the national title game in one of those seasons. Brown averaged over 17 ppg and 8.9 rpg for her sophomore, junior, and senior seasons combined, leading Baylor to the national championship in her senior year.

Had Edwards played four years and continued her natural progression and development (12.5 ppg, 9.4 rpg during her freshman year), she would have been referenced.

Reaction Score
Actually (per my source at ESPN), it was referring to the entirety of the four-year college careers of Brown and McCowan, with multiple years of dominance for each player. McCowan averaged over 18 ppg and 13.5 ppg for her junior and senior seasons combined, in leading MSU to the national title game in one of those seasons. Brown averaged over 17 ppg and 8.9 rpg for her sophomore, junior, and senior seasons combined, leading Baylor to the national championship in her senior year.

Had Edwards played four years and continued her natural progression and development (12.5 ppg, 9.4 rpg during her freshman year), she would have been referenced.

You do mean Boston right?

Reaction Score
Don't forget about Andy, Andi, Andra, Andrea and the Chris/Kris names, Christy, Christine, Kristin, Kristina.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom