Which unemployed former P5 Coach finds a job next | The Boneyard

Which unemployed former P5 Coach finds a job next

Of these prominent former P5 Coaches, who will get the next job?

• Joanne P McCallie

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Holly Warlick

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Karen Aston

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Gail Gostenkors

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Lindsey Gottlieb

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Joanne Boyle

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
With the Kara Lawson hiring, discussion of certain unemployed coaches and the usual/unusual views of these coaches, I thought a fun poll might be to see what the most observant and insightful and most knowledgeable WCBB fans in the world have to say.

For me, of this list, I would say that Coach JPM is probably the most employable as at least she's had continued success albeit, disappointing results for Duke. Let's say Vanderbilt lets Stephanie White's contract expire, why wouldn't they want to look at JPM who had coached at a strong academic institution and had significantly more success than any of the recent Commodore coaches, plus, let's face it the SEC is not what it used to be.

From a P5 perspective (besides JPM) I think only Boyle or possibly Gail could garner a lower tier team (Mississippi, Auburn, Alabama, Pittsburgh) type of school. Heck if Amanda Butler could get the Clemson job after her lack of results at Florida, most of these coaches should get a shot.

What say you my most esteemed colleagues? :cool:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Is Gottlieb unemployed? I thought she was an assistant coach in the NBA still.

My gut feeling is that GG is the best coach among this list, but she's been out of the game for a long time. Has she put her name in the hat for many jobs recently? I know Duke quickly told her she wasn't a candidate when they had an opening.

Reaction Score
I’d say Boyle. She didn’t do a great job at UVA, but had success prior to that. She sorta left of her own volition (I think she was nudged out) during an adoption process. I could see her at a next level school.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score

My gut feeling is that GG is the best coach among this list, but she's been out of the game for a long time. Has she put her name in the hat for many jobs recently? I know Duke quickly told her she wasn't a candidate when they had an opening.
Technically, you are correct that she is employed by the WNBA but as we saw with Niele Ivey, when a P5 job opened, she took it. Would Gottlieb do the same? I will leave out my personal views that Gottlieb is not a good HC and left Cal before they decided to move on from her...oops, I guess I didn't leave out my feelings... :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This wasn't an option in the poll, but I think Becky Hammon probably could get any open college job she wanted. It also seems like she's holding out for HC for an NBA franchise, which may or may not ever happen for her.

McCallie/Warlick/Aston all seem interchangeable to me. If you just look at their record it seems fine, but all trended downhill the longer they stayed at their most recent school, and all way underachieved given the large amount of talent they had available. Put them at a lower level P5 school or a mid major, where they don't attract a lot of talent, and their coaching deficiencies would probably be glaringly obvious.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think McCallie is done coaching. Even though she isnt that old (will turn 55 in a few months)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think McCallie is done coaching. Even though she isnt that old (will turn 55 in a few months)
A mere 15 years after she reached the national championship game. (And 14 years after Duke last did so.)

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I am perplexed by this voting and some of the comments. If I look at logically, Gail G was last a HC 8 years ago. She did 2 single year stints in the W, last being in 2015. She’s 57 years old, 2 years older than JPM and yet she has more votes and contradicts the logic by Triad that JPM is old.
How Holly got ANY VOTES is beyond me to understand.
I guess I can understand votes for Karen Aston, who while I think recruited really well, and while has no concept of offense she could help lesser programs in the lower echelons of the P5s.
Overall, a good set of votes and perspectives. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am perplexed by this voting and some of the comments. If I look at logically, Gail G was last a HC 8 years ago. She did 2 single year stints in the W, last being in 2015. She’s 57 years old, 2 years older than JPM and yet she has more votes and contradicts the logic by Triad that JPM is old.
I guess I can understand votes for Karen Aston, who while I think recruited really well, and while has no concept of offense she could help lesser programs in the lower echelons of the P5s.

The question said 'job', not 'coaching job'. :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I never said McCallie was old... I said she wasn't that old
33.gif

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I voted "other" because I dont like any of the named choices and figured it had to be someone else.

By the way Gottlieb is still listed as an asst coach for the Cleveland Cavs.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
My vote is other. I don't see any of them getting a P5 offer in the near future. All except Gottlieb are over 50.

Programs are going to be looking for younger coaches who are hungry to make their mark.

Reaction Score
I’d say Boyle. She didn’t do a great job at UVA, but had success prior to that. She sorta left of her own volition (I think she was nudged out) during an adoption process. I could see her at a next level school.
Boyle left Cal while the going was still good. Her problem is that she has not clue as to what pieces are neccessary to comprises a good team. She recruited athletes and that was that. She did well at Cal as long as she was still workng with the previous coaches recruits. When she left there were at least three players who were on the verge of transfering out. She had lost the team and quit just in time.

Reaction Score

The level of coaching in WCBB has risen considerably since some of the older coaches on this list have had jobs. There are just too many rising younger coaches to pick from. The dynamics of WCBB has changed considerable in the last ten years. Some of their systems just will not be that successful today.

I believe GG did apply for the Ohio St Job somewhat after she left Texas. I suspect that she left a lot of negative baggage with the Duke administration when she left that school and that justified or not is something that other schools would always consider. Had she been successful at Texas it would not matter, but that gig knocked her out of the elite coach catagory. Sometimes being in the right place at the right time counts as much for success as ability.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Boyle left Cal while the going was still good. Her problem is that she has not clue as to what pieces are neccessary to comprises a good team. She recruited athletes and that was that. She did well at Cal as long as she was still workng with the previous coaches recruits. When she left there were at least three players who were on the verge of transfering out. She had lost the team and quit just in time.
Wait what? You must have meant Lindsey Gottlieb instead of Boyle. The two coaches before Boyle were abysmal and that includes HoF Marianne Stanley who posted a .318 winning percentage followed by Caren Horstmeyer who was almost as dreadful at .364. Boyle inherited an 11-17 team and immediately went 18-12 and posted a .681 winning percentage in 6 years, with obviously more than the previous coaches recruits. Gottlieb DID take Boyle’s team to a Final Four and the slowly eroded the program back to mediocrity.
What Boyle did at Virginia was not good at all and she played too many cupcakes to pad her record and I do believe she will be hard pressed to get another P5 job as she will have to take a lesser prestigious job first. But to say she used Horstmeyer’s recruits is erroneous. She did earned her record at Cal.

Reaction Score
Wait what? You must have meant Lindsey Gottlieb instead of Boyle. The two coaches before Boyle were abysmal and that includes HoF Marianne Stanley who posted a .318 winning percentage followed by Caren Horstmeyer who was almost as dreadful at .364. Boyle inherited an 11-17 team and immediately went 18-12 and posted a .681 winning percentage in 6 years, with obviously more than the previous coaches recruits. Gottlieb DID take Boyle’s team to a Final Four and the slowly eroded the program back to mediocrity.
What Boyle did at Virginia was not good at all and she played too many cupcakes to pad her record and I do believe she will be hard pressed to get another P5 job as she will have to take a lesser prestigious job first. But to say she used Horstmeyer’s recruits is erroneous. She did earned her record at Cal.
I stand by what I posted. Boyle had lost her team. The record her final season was 18-16. Which Gottlieb followed the next year with a 25-10 record went to the NCAA and got eliminated by a strong ND team. Boyle started strong but then got progressively worse at the tail end. She had talent but got nothing from them.

I followed Cal. Was a regular poster on their site and knew players on the team. I had defended her at the beginning of the season, but by her own words it became evident to me that she was clueless. The fan base had turned on her early in the season, but as I stated I defended her until before the playoffs began. The team has a lot of really good players but her team underachieved.. There were few who supported her at the end. Unless you were one of those, how can you claim to know what the situation was at Cal better than those that were around the program?

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Hard to say but my guess is GG simple because she has expressed that she wants to get back into coaching and has the best resume of any of the 5 by a mile. Not sure how picky she'll be in regards to location and which schools she'll consider.

I have no idea if Holly, Boyle, McCallie or Aston want to get back into coaching. Holly has lived in Tennessee forever and may not want to leave, same with Aston in Texas. All 4 are in their 50s+ and my guess is that the prospect of uprooting, and starting over new at a bottom tier P5 or okay mid major just likely isnt going to be very appealing to them coming from big time programs very recently. All 4 likely have plenty of money to ride off into the sunset too.

Gottlieb could come back but my guess is she gives the NBA more time. I'm also not sure if she has any desire to come back to the women's game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I voted other. Although technically not unemployed I'm thinking Jeff Walz.

Reaction Score
I didn’t realize that she had “lost the team” at Cal. If I remember correctly, they did pretty well under the next coach (Gottlieb?). She must have recruited some of the players that were successful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom