Which three players will suprise us this year and why? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Which three players will suprise us this year and why?

Reaction Score
I believe the freshmen and the sophomores and Dorka have an intense desire to win everything including the NCAA championship. Well Amari may take another year. Williams showed up for the NCAA tourney. Hopefully she gets it and will play the entire season at a consistently high level.

Williams reminded me of Charles who finally "got" how much effort is required about midway through her junior season. CW, in my opinion, is benefitting from not being the "go to" scorer. She no longer has to worry about creating shots or being the shooter of last resort and simply takes the scoring opportunities as they appear. She and Westbrook should both be more efficient. Shooting spot up 3's is easier than doing it coming off a screen.

As far as motivation the 3 seniors have basketball goals beyond college. Who wants to be a 1st round pick?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
As far as motivation the 3 seniors have basketball goals beyond college. Who wants to be a 1st round pick?
Then they have to play like first round picks. I believe Dorka will be a two year player finishing with a master degree.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I think if UConn shoots 38% from three as a team, we will be virtually unbeatable! 40%+ would likely put us up there with the greatest teams ever!
Yes 38% as a team would be a substantial improvement over last year and make us an elite 3pt shooting team.
I'd still push for 40% but 38% would be acceptable. Last season the following teams shot threes above 38%. The best team in the nation should at least shoot above 38%. The team three point percentage record for a season is held by Fordham in1990 at 47.3%.
1630979331900.png

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Wh
I'll tell you what would surprise me about each player. I will keep it short.
  1. Christyn will surprise me if she plays the entire year at a level to earn 1st team AA honors.
  2. Olivia will surprise me if she shows enough improvement that the BY acknowledges it.
  3. Evina will surprise me if she's 100% healthy and earns honorable mention for AA honors
  4. Dorka will surprise me if she averages over 20 MPG and is good enough that she takes minutes away from ONO and Edwards
  5. Liya will surprise me if she averages over 20 MPG and is good enough that she takes minutes away fom ONO and Dorka
  6. Aubrey will surprise me if she develops a mid range jumper and earns minutes other than just to play defense
  7. Mir will surprise me if she plays minutes besides the last 4 minutes in blowout games
  8. Same goes for Piath
  9. Same goes for Amari
  10. Same goes for Saylor
  11. Nika will surprise me if she somehow loses her starting job
  12. Azzi will surprise me if she somehow earns the starting job
  13. Paige will surprise me if she puts up numbers anything close to what she did last season and gets another NPOY award
  14. Caroline will surprise me if she cracks the rotation as a solid and consistent sub (ie. 15 or so minutes per game)
For me there are lots of questions with kids coming back from injuries. Nika, Evina, Paige, Saylor, and I believe Piath all dealt with injuries at points last season. My wish is for all of them to be 100% healthy. There are also lots of questions as to how much of a sophomore leap we will see from the freshmen. How will the newbies fit in? What minutes will they earn? How fast will the acclimate?

Cannot wait to see how all the questions are answered! Go UCONN

Why such different surprise levels for Saylor and Caroline? According to one service (Hoopgurlz), she dropped about 30 spots when she couldn’t play for a year due to Maryland Covid restrictions, but was a top-ten recruit other than that. She played well with USA basketball.

She’ll surprise the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
I don't like to speculate without any information. For the freshmen, we've seen high school videos. How will their play translate to the next level? I have no idea. Without seeing practice it is very difficult if not impossible to know how the players are doing. Of course, if all that information was available, I guess there wouldn't be any surprises, would there? ;)

Reaction Score
For me, my three players that will surprise us this year are:

1). CW: I think CW is going to be a force this season. Still a joy and team player but way more assertive on the offensive and defensive end. Setting the tone. All out attack mode.

2). Dorka Juhasz: Like the rest of the group here, I am really looking forward to the addition of Dorka. Her skillset, just from what Ohio State allowed her to do, was already impressive. Her size. Her high basketball IQ. That versatility. OMG!! If the coaching staff don't break her confidence, she is going to be a joy to watch.

3). Aubrey Griffin: With so much talent coming in and roster spots are open, I am looking forward to Aubrey asserting herself more this season. She has the skillset just gotta unleash that talent. Don't hold back! I believe this is the year we get her greatness.

Reaction Score
Maybe wishful thinking on my part but...
Nika could make a huge jump by staying healthy and continuing the trajectory she seemed to be on before the injury in the High Point game. She was starting to get more comfortable shooting and even found the courage to drive inside. Without her defensive persistence suffering. Think she will be able to improve her ability to keep opposing players from getting past her. She has to learn how to avoid fouling due to unawareness of other defenders giving her help.
Recently saw a more recent picture of Nika. Hard to recognize her without the shiner. Seemed to personify her.
One of the most intensely competitive Huskies ever (hate when we make comparisons of current, still developing players to past greats, but watching her last sdeasons there were times I couldn't help of Ralph or Rizzoti)
Nika knows that if she wants to keep her starting role, she will have to up her game.
I know it sounds kind of counterintuitive, but I would like to see her come off the bench in a few early games.
If Geno starts Ayleah, Azzi or Aubrey for a few games to make an appraisal of how it looks, I believe that Nika will see it as a challenge for her to overcome. Nika just doesn't have it in her to wilt and go into an introspective funk. Her name is pretty indicative of her approach to the game.
Stubborn as a "Mule"
Hope she can make it work to our advantage.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wh

Why such different surprise levels for Saylor and Caroline? According to one service (Hoopgurlz), she dropped about 30 spots when she couldn’t play for a year due to Maryland Covid restrictions, but was a top-ten recruit other than that. She played well with USA basketball.

She’ll surprise the Boneyard.
In my post, Caroline and Saylor had substantially different "surprise" comments.

Saylor will surprise me if she plays minutes besides the last 4 minutes in blowout games
Caroline will surprise me if she cracks the rotation as a solid and consistent sub (ie. 15 or so minutes per game)

Reaction Score
This is an interesting thread to which I will add my two cents worth. Let me, however, slightly rephrase the subject from in which three players will surprise most to which three players are you most interested in seeing on the court.

I think we pretty much know what we will get with ONO, Williams, Westbrook, and Griffin. We can expect that Paige Bueckers will be all world again and I am interested to see how much Edwards will improve and what Dorka Juhasz will bring to the court. She is the first true center since Stephanie Dolson and a player we will need against big and strong teams like South Carolina. But, the three players and I am most looking forward to seeing are Nika Mühl, Azzi Fudd, and Caroline Ducharme.

Nika Mühl - many Boneyarders admire her for her toughness and defensive ability, although others are ready to assign her to the bench. She is a decent, but not outstanding, shooter and a good passer. She gave up a chance to play on the Croatian national team this summer to stay in Storrs and work on her game. If she can improve on her shooting and driving ability, there is little doubt that she will start. Bueckers can benefit by playing off the ball for much of the game. Whether she will starts, will be the first player off the bench, or the first starter substituted for, remains to be determined. I love, however, the way she plays. She is Jennifer Rizzotti - 2.

Azzi Fudd - She is as highly anticipated among Husky fans as was Paige Bueckers, but with six rotation players returning plus Juhasz, we must wait to see where she fits in. As a couple of people have observed, she may play a Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis type of role. Instant offense. Fudd is not quite as big or strong as KML, but a more versatile and quicker player who will likely play better defense. Assuming no serious injuries, she will still get a lot of time on the court and should score in double digits. I can easily see her on the floor with Edwards and another center and with guards Mühl and Bueckers and with wings Westbrook and Williams. Geno has the luxury for the first time in several seasons of mixing and matching a number of high quality players.

Caroline Ducharme - From nearby MA, she is a big guard/wing who is reputed to be an excellent shooter with an edge to her game. Since several recent teams have been characterized as too nice, it is good to see players Nika, Caroline, and Aaliyah on the team. If she can rebound effectively and has more to her game than as a jump shooter, we will be seeing a lot of her. At 6.2, she should present matchup problems for the opposing teams and it remains to be seen how many minutes she will carve out for herself and what her role will be on the 2021-22 team. As a native of Connecticut, I like the idea of having players who come from the region and Ducharme will likely have a great many fans. How soon before we hear renditions of “Sweet Caroline?”

After a long off-season, we are getting close to the official start of practice and just over two months away from the beginning of a new and one hopes a highly successful year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom