Which three players will suprise us this year and why? | The Boneyard

Which three players will suprise us this year and why?

Reaction Score
I think the three players that will suprise us this year are
1. Dorka- I think her intensity and scoring ability in the post on offense will help open the outside three point game for Piage, Azzi and Caroline Ducharme.
2. Aubrey will have more of an offensive game than just driving right full steam to the hoop.
3. Azzi will limit some of the court time for one of the seniors.

Reaction Score
1. Dorka - Agreed, her versatility will bring a very different presence than what ONO brings. If I were to guess (off of limited exposure) she will bring the ability to finish both inside and out at a greater rate than ONO. ONO will likely bring a better defensive presence and ability to distribute from the high post. Having two quality centers will be a huge asset.
2. Edwards - I think she is the future of the core of the program, with Bueckers and Fudd. I wouldn't be surprised to see her earn a ton of minutes at the 4 and average a double double. Her athleticism is so fun to watch in a post player. I don't think many posters view her as one of our top 3 players.
3. Fudd - I see her having a role very similar to KML as a freshman. I think she comes off the bench and is a huge scoring punch. Her ability to open the floor with her incredible shot will make things much easier for Williams and Westbrook. I think the expectations on her are so high that she likely won't live up to them this season since we were spoiled with a NPOY freshman. I think the surprise will be that she isn't a generational player from the jump, but rather one of our most consistent 2nd or 3rd options. The years to come may be a different story.

We know what we return with Bueckers, Williams, and Westbrook. The three players above are who I think will really elevate and strengthen our rotation.

Reaction Score
I think the three players that will suprise us this year are
1. Dorka- I think her intensity and scoring ability in the post on offense will help open the outside three point game for Piage, Azzi and Caroline Ducharme.
2. Aubrey will have more of an offensive game than just driving right full steam to the hoop.
3. Azzi will limit some of the court time for one of the seniors.
4. EDWARDS. Nothing similar on the entire roster. She's one of the best two way players n college at that position. I think her consistent output glues this team.

Reaction Score
The key word in this question is " Surprise". Most people would not
be surprised with Paige, Aaliyah, and "E" continuing their success and
progress. SO...... I believe Christyn Williams will make another leap forward
with improved defense, improved scoring , and ++ leadership. ( for the whole
season !!!) The same
goes for Oliva Nelson - Ododa: more scoring ( same amount of minutes,
i.e. sharing time with Dorka ), great high post play, and continued running
the floor and blocks. Oliva will be better at the " put backs" and with improved
foul shooting, she will be a " non- suprise" surprise. Lastly , my third
choice is Dorka Juhasz. I have just watch three videos of Dorka at Ohio
State and playing for the Hungarian youth squads. I think , at UCONN and
under Geno, Dorka will put it all the skills exhibited in these videos into
one BIG suprise package. Dorka will blend very well with O. N. O.
and be a BIG PLEASANT surprise for all UCONN fans. Aubrey and Nika
will be solid. I hope Piath and Mir get some quality playing time. AND..
any contribution by one or more of the FROSH is 'froshing on the UCONN
cake ". Let the games begin.

Reaction Score
1. Azzi performing very well would not be a surprise, nor would be getting meaning-full minutes. Like Jabstep above I believe her cutting into the minutes significantly of Christyn or Evina, both incumbent senior starters, however, would be. I think that is entirely possibly. She could be the second best guard/wing in her first year. That could be the case for a couple of reasons. She is considered a generational talent, and because Christyn and Evina are not.

By Uconn's high standards those two as juniors were pretty average, way above average compared to most players but middle of the pack compared to Uconn starters over the years. As such I don't think even a three year starter should be "entitled" to incumbency minutes if a first year player is better.

2. Evina could be a surprise despite reduced minutes because of health. Many players are significantly better their second year back from a serious injury than the first one. Her practices were sometimes limited etc. because of her knee. She may have come back for a multitude of reasons, but one of them could have been her own expectations for better health this year. Another less significant factor is I think this year her playing time will come mostly at the 2/3 which I believe are her best positions. Last year as the "swiss army knife" she was asked to play the 4 quite a bit. This year she won't be needed so much there.

3. CD might surprise, but much depends on Geno expanding the rotation. If he stays at 8 or 9, I don't see much time for her. But if he expands this very deep roster to a 10 player rotation, I think she is most likely to be #10. Clearly the 2/3 positions could be covered very well between just Azzi, Christyn and Evina, and some Paige there when teamed with Nika. CD would have to show enough as a freshmen to be in the conversation with one or two of those players, but if she does she has two things going for her than could earn her limited minutes.

First of all the contenders she might be the most natural 3. The others like Azzi and Christyn are mostly 2's that could play the 3, and Evina more of a 2/3. At 6-2 with a great three point shot CD fits well at that position. Secondly that three point shot offers a strategic advantage. She is anticipated to be our third great 3 pt threat, with Paige and Azzi. Christyn, Evina, and Nika are ok, when they are open, fine take it, but giving up a 3 to those players is not something defensive coaches lose sleep over. Leaving Paige, Azzi or CD open by contrast would be a clear defensive mistake. If Geno wants two great 3pt shooters on the floor, he will have to use CD some when Paige or Azzi are on the bench.

Reaction Score
1. Player with the most assist.
2. Player with the most points
3. Player who can defend the best.
Those are the 3 Im hoping to see!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I dunno about 2 and 3, but I think the player who will surprise the most Boneyarders will be Saylor, simply because it seems the expectations are so low. She may not be the shooter that Fudd and Ducharme are, but she’s a complete player — a great passer, good offensively outside and in, good defender out and in, and a great rebounder who’s not afraid to mix it up inside.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I can't come up with an answer because no one has answered the questions: who is going to be the starters, who will be the first off the bench, who is going to be playing during crunch time and during each timeout, who is going to have the clipboard that Geno will use to draw up the next play? :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I really do not see any of the freshman (even Azzi) breaking into the starting lineup so they will at best fill complementary roles while learning a really difficult system under the brightest lights. I think we may be a bit too optimistic about freshman really being a major piece. Paige's mentality is unique. Others have to grow into it.

I think with the clock running out on the upper classman, they will be the ones who will most pleasantly surprise us

1) Liv develops a more diverse offensive post game and a consistent 15 footer.
2) Nika becomes more of a driver and getting to the line to go with an improved 3 pt shot
3) Aubrey decides she can do anything on the court and looks more like Gabby Williams

CW will probably incrementally improve but I do not see a giant step.

Not convinced we will get a Napheesa like Jump from Aaliyah. She needs more polish on the offensive end and it will come but slowly.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Caroline Ducharme will be at least on a par with Azzi Fudd as best freshman. Geno Said it all. “She’s got a huge chip on her shoulder about a lot of things, and I like that. She’s pissed.” “She reminds me a lot of Carla Berube or Amy Duran. She’s not afraid. She works on her game constantly. She is competitive as hell. They (teammates) don’t know how she does it, but she beats their butts.” “I feel like I’ve always been under the radar, and I feel like I’m always trying to prove something. I’m really competitive,” said Ducharme. Fire in the belly! She likes the best player, If she can emulate his style to some extent, she will be on the court a lot. “Larry Bird,” Ducharme said. “I think the way he affected so many parts of the game. He’s really smart, he knows how to play the game. He was never the most athletic, never the strongest, but he knew how to play the game.” Without Bueckers 3pt numbers the team averaged 32%. They need to average 40% or better. Underachievers can say 35% is good enough … it isn't. Both Bueckers and Williams have been surprised positively by Ducharme's play. Teammates say she is a shooter from any range. “She’s impressed me,” said senior guard Christyn Williams. “I didn’t know what to expect from her, but she’s really good. She can shoot. Once she gets on a roll, she doesn’t miss. Finally from Fudd's buddy: “Caroline is like really sneaky good,” Bueckers said. “People obviously know her, but the big talk was about Azzi. Caroline’s really good.” Bueckers has never been nervous at UCONN. I believe Ducharme approaches Bueckers relative to lack of nerves. She is 20 and appears to be mature.
Dorka Juhász will meld with Ododa and Edwards to form a formidable high-low combination. Usually two at a time but seeing all three once in a while would be interesting. She has extensive college level experience resulting a two-time First Team All-Big Ten selection and Second Team All-Big Ten and All-Freshman Team honors. She averaged 14.6 points and 11.1 rebounds last season, a double-double. Last season she rebounded nearly 14 percent of Ohio State’s missed shots and 22 percent of opponents’, both of which ranked in the top four percent in the nation. Prior to Ohio State, Juhász played for PEAC-Pécs in the Hungarian Championship Division A. She represented Hungary at the 2017 FIBA U19 Women's Basketball World Cup. Juhász was the No. 12-ranked international player in the 2018 class. This is a highly skilled experienced player. My favorite trait is fire in the belly. Dorka has it. “My biggest reason to leave (Ohio State) was to find a place where I can get better and improve as a player the most,” Juhász said. “I was in the transfer portal, I had many many great offers, but I just feel like UConn was that one place that I could really see myself improving and just getting better.” Per Geno: “She’s all of 6-5 and she’s long and aggressive as hell. She’s fitting in nicely in a lot of ways. She can shoot the hell out of it and she’s really highly skilled. Just need to calm her down a little bit. She’s so excited about playing, being here. But I love her personality. I love that she brings an old school work ethic.”
Azzi Fudd will not play to the level of Bueckers as most everyone expects. Only Bueckers and Courtney Paris were first team All-Americans and Paigr is the only freshman player of the year. Azzi will be very good but most will be surprised when she does not start or get 25 plus minutes per game.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I dunno about 2 and 3, but I think the player who will surprise the most Boneyarders will be Saylor, simply because it seems the expectations are so low. She may not be the shooter that Fudd and Ducharme are, but she’s a complete player — a great passer, good offensively outside and in, good defender out and in, and a great rebounder who’s not afraid to mix it up inside.
I agree completely. I think most boneyarders will be surprised to see her still on the team., She gets so little recognition here. If she has recovered from several years of injuries she should be a solid player. And she has a great name! :cool:

Reaction Score
I'll second or third tht statement, as I've said before I thk we are underestimating this young lady, she's gonna cut into someone's minutes.
I agree. Everyone is posting about Azzi but I don't understand why. We already know she is good and she is the #1 recruit. What will be the surprise? I feel like Caroline will end up being a silent assassin that no opposing coach will have enough time to develop a strategy for. She seems really motivated to show she belows and I think that attitude will pay dividends.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I agree. Everyone is posting about Azzi but I don't understand why. We already know she is good and she is the #1 recruit. What will be the surprise? I feel like Caroline will end up being a silent assassin that no opposing coach will have enough time to develop a strategy for. She seems really motivated to show she belows and I think that attitude will pay dividends.
Hammer to nail

Reaction Score

SVCBeercats,​

Azzi Fudd will not play to the level of Bueckers as most everyone expects. Only Bueckers and Courtney Paris were first team All-Americans - as freshman

You are forgetting one Maya Moore who was the second freshman first team All American (after Courtney Paris) so that makes Paige #3.

Reaction Score
Caroline Ducharme will be at least on a par with Azzi Fudd as best freshman. Geno Said it all. “She’s got a huge chip on her shoulder about a lot of things, and I like that. She’s pissed.” “She reminds me a lot of Carla Berube or Amy Duran. She’s not afraid. She works on her game constantly. She is competitive as hell. They (teammates) don’t know how she does it, but she beats their butts.” “I feel like I’ve always been under the radar, and I feel like I’m always trying to prove something. I’m really competitive,” said Ducharme. Fire in the belly! She likes the best player, If she can emulate his style to some extent, she will be on the court a lot. “Larry Bird,” Ducharme said. “I think the way he affected so many parts of the game. He’s really smart, he knows how to play the game. He was never the most athletic, never the strongest, but he knew how to play the game.” Without Bueckers 3pt numbers the team averaged 32%. They need to average 40% or better. Underachievers can say 35% is good enough … it isn't. Both Bueckers and Williams have been surprised positively by Ducharme's play. Teammates say she is a shooter from any range. “She’s impressed me,” said senior guard Christyn Williams. “I didn’t know what to expect from her, but she’s really good. She can shoot. Once she gets on a roll, she doesn’t miss. Finally from Fudd's buddy: “Caroline is like really sneaky good,” Bueckers said. “People obviously know her, but the big talk was about Azzi. Caroline’s really good.” Bueckers has never been nervous at UCONN. I believe Ducharme approaches Bueckers relative to lack of nerves. She is 20 and appears to be mature.
Dorka Juhász will meld with Ododa and Edwards to form a formidable high-low combination. Usually two at a time but seeing all three once in a while would be interesting. She has extensive college level experience resulting a two-time First Team All-Big Ten selection and Second Team All-Big Ten and All-Freshman Team honors. She averaged 14.6 points and 11.1 rebounds last season, a double-double. Last season she rebounded nearly 14 percent of Ohio State’s missed shots and 22 percent of opponents’, both of which ranked in the top four percent in the nation. Prior to Ohio State, Juhász played for PEAC-Pécs in the Hungarian Championship Division A. She represented Hungary at the 2017 FIBA U19 Women's Basketball World Cup. Juhász was the No. 12-ranked international player in the 2018 class. This is a highly skilled experienced player. My favorite trait is fire in the belly. Dorka has it. “My biggest reason to leave (Ohio State) was to find a place where I can get better and improve as a player the most,” Juhász said. “I was in the transfer portal, I had many many great offers, but I just feel like UConn was that one place that I could really see myself improving and just getting better.” Per Geno: “She’s all of 6-5 and she’s long and aggressive as hell. She’s fitting in nicely in a lot of ways. She can shoot the hell out of it and she’s really highly skilled. Just need to calm her down a little bit. She’s so excited about playing, being here. But I love her personality. I love that she brings an old school work ethic.”
Azzi Fudd will not play to the level of Bueckers as most everyone expects. Only Bueckers and Courtney Paris were first team All-Americans and Paigr is the only freshman player of the year. Azzi will be very good but most will be surprised when she does not start or get 25 plus minutes per game.
I think you may be setting the bar a bit high on the three point percentage. Only two teams shot 40% last season. I’m not sure how many teams normally beat that number but my guess is that it is not as common as some people think. I think if UConn shoots 38% from three as a team, we will be virtually unbeatable! 40%+ would likely put us up there with the greatest teams ever! This assumes of course, that we maintain our usual level in the other areas. I believe we may be looking at the beginning of another historic run of greatness with this team. I won’t say we are going to win every game for the next three years but I wouldn’t be totally surprised if we did! Barring injury, it’s just hard to see who could line up with us over the next few years as anything but an underdog. Now, if that is true then it comes down to whether enough of our players have the “killer instinct/step on the other team’s throat” gene that will enable them to live up to their superior talent!

Reaction Score

SVCBeercats,​

Azzi Fudd will not play to the level of Bueckers as most everyone expects. Only Bueckers and Courtney Paris were first team All-Americans - as freshman

You are forgetting one Maya Moore who was the second freshman first team All American (after Courtney Paris) so that makes Paige #3.

Azzi isn't starting out at Uconn under the same conditions as Paige. I also don't expect Paige to repeat last year as far as scoring. She needed to score last year at that level. I think this year's team will resemble Uconn Teams where 5 threats were on the floor most of the game and the opponent just got hit from all sides.

Reaction Score
I think you may be setting the bar a bit high on the three point percentage. Only two teams shot 40% last season. I’m not sure how many teams normally beat that number but my guess is that it is not as common as some people think. I think if UConn shoots 38% from three as a team, we will be virtually unbeatable! 40%+ would likely put us up there with the greatest teams ever! This assumes of course, that we maintain our usual level in the other areas. I believe we may be looking at the beginning of another historic run of greatness with this team. I won’t say we are going to win every game for the next three years but I wouldn’t be totally surprised if we did! Barring injury, it’s just hard to see who could line up with us over the next few years as anything but an underdog. Now, if that is true then it comes down to whether enough of our players have the “killer instinct/step on the other team’s throat” gene that will enable them to live up to their superior talent!
I agree on the challenge of 40% as a team, that would be difficult. I fully expect the trio of Paige, Azzi and Caroline to collectively be over 40%, but we have to remember that Nika, Christyn, and Evina as a group will take a number of threes and likely be around mid to lower 30's, and although they probably shouldn't try any, Liv and Aubrey put up some that brought the team percentage down as well.

Yes 38% as a team would be a substantial improvement over last year and make us an elite 3pt shooting team.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
then it comes down to whether enough of our players have the “killer instinct/step on the other team’s throat” gene that will enable them to live up to their superior talent!
I believe the freshmen and the sophomores and Dorka have an intense desire to win everything including the NCAA championship. Well Amari may take another year. Williams showed up for the NCAA tourney. Hopefully she gets it and will play the entire season at a consistently high level.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'll tell you what would surprise me about each player. I will keep it short.
  1. Christyn will surprise me if she plays the entire year at a level to earn 1st team AA honors.
  2. Olivia will surprise me if she shows enough improvement that the BY acknowledges it.
  3. Evina will surprise me if she's 100% healthy and earns honorable mention for AA honors
  4. Dorka will surprise me if she averages over 20 MPG and is good enough that she takes minutes away from ONO and Edwards
  5. Liya will surprise me if she averages over 20 MPG and is good enough that she takes minutes away fom ONO and Dorka
  6. Aubrey will surprise me if she develops a mid range jumper and earns minutes other than just to play defense
  7. Mir will surprise me if she plays minutes besides the last 4 minutes in blowout games
  8. Same goes for Piath
  9. Same goes for Amari
  10. Same goes for Saylor
  11. Nika will surprise me if she somehow loses her starting job
  12. Azzi will surprise me if she somehow earns the starting job
  13. Paige will surprise me if she puts up numbers anything close to what she did last season and gets another NPOY award
  14. Caroline will surprise me if she cracks the rotation as a solid and consistent sub (ie. 15 or so minutes per game)
For me there are lots of questions with kids coming back from injuries. Nika, Evina, Paige, Saylor, and I believe Piath all dealt with injuries at points last season. My wish is for all of them to be 100% healthy. There are also lots of questions as to how much of a sophomore leap we will see from the freshmen. How will the newbies fit in? What minutes will they earn? How fast will the acclimate?

Cannot wait to see how all the questions are answered! Go UCONN!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

SVCBeercats,​

Maya was #2 in the AP POY voting, behind Candace Parker. Paige was #1 in the voting. Both were great as freshmen.

Reaction Score
I'm going with the seniors/older players.

Dorka: I've been all in since she joined the huskies. She adds versatility with her size and shooting. I also imagine her bringing toughness, and just competitive spirit. I love the idea that she joined Uconn with the hopes of improving her game and becoming a pro.

ONO: One of the funny things in sports is when a player becomes underrated, based on the overwhelming criticism they have received or people focusing on what they are not. To me Liv fits this category. I think Liv has gotten better every year, and I think that trend will continue her senior year. She can be a great defensive player, and though it will be great for her to produce more in big games, I think if she can consistently be a defensive anchor for the team it would be great. and

CW: This is a bit like the one above. In some games, like vs Tennessee and Iowa, she played like the best player on the team. She doesn't really have that pass first gene, that so many other guards on the team have, but I like her aggressiveness. I think she will continue from where she left off last season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom