Which team(s) 'won' the draft? | The Boneyard

Which team(s) 'won' the draft?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: I don't know if this has been mentioned in the other draft threads but:

The Sun selected Regan Magarity in the third round. Went to Va. Tech....she is from Sweden.
She is a relative of New Hampshire's coach Maureen Magarity. Regan supposedly had big UConn interest when in Swden...no idea if that interest was reciprocated.
I read that she is considered a 3/4 type player...she obviously had a solid career at Va. Tech....might we have used her off the bench this past year???

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
THE talking head network says Minn and Phoenix get A+ grades.

WNBA draft grades: Phoenix and Minnesota score A-plus marks

1555074869707.png

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Minnesota and Dallas are the biggest winners IMO. Both got really good players in 1st and 2nd round who should help lessen the loss of Diggins/Moore. Shepard has the tools to be another McCarville in Minnesota, and Gustafson may surprise a lot of people in Dallas.

Indiana landing McCowan might be the most impactful pick this year.

Chicago picking Samuelson that high is a head scratcher to me. Their defense is awful and they need better rebounding inside. Samuelson gives them another gunner and she has length but doesn't help in those areas. I probably would've gone with Collier or Brown there. Brown would be a big upgrade inside.

Sparks are the biggest losers IMO. They had a high(ish) pick at 7 and needed a perimeter threat but all of Young/Durr/AO/Samuelson were scooped up. And Collier was off the table. Brown was best value left on the board so they went with her but I'm not sure how she fits in with Nneka/Parker/Lavender. Also would've taken Anriel Howard over Mabrey. Mabrey provides shooting and probably steals a deep bench spot over Wiese/Samuelson but I don't see her making a big impact or logging any minutes in close games.

Reaction Score
If Ezi turns out anywhere near her mentor Lauren Jackson, then Seattle had the best draft. Unlike Liz, who has talent but not the attitude to be the best, having a mentor like, Lauren and playing with Sue, Jewell, Stewie, will help her be great.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Chicago picking Samuelson that high is a head scratcher to me. Their defense is awful and they need better rebounding inside. Samuelson gives them another gunner and she has length but doesn't help in those areas. I probably would've gone with Collier or Brown there. Brown would be a big upgrade inside.

James Wade has been clear that his goal is to make the playoffs. Failure to make the playoffs was cited as a reason why Amber Stocks was fired. I think there's a certain amount of logic to the idea that the best chance of making the playoffs is to go from being a good offense to a great offense rather than trying to fix the defense, which is basically impossible given the personnel Wade inherited.

At the draft party, assistant coach Carla Morrow stressed that you need shooters in order to be able to attack the rim and you need to attack the rim in order to get open 3-point shots. Obviously, Lou lands pretty strongly on the shooter side of that ledger and allows you to pretty much always have a deadly 3-point shooter on the floor between her and Quigley.

As we all know, 3s and layups are the most efficient shots. I think Wade is trying to design an offense that will get as many 3s and layups as possible and try to go the high-scoring small ball route.

I wonder if he'll try Lou at the 4 for stretches. Sloot-Quigley-Deshields-Lou-Dolson seems very difficult to guard and also like they would give up 150 points per game.

Reaction Score
James Wade has been clear that his goal is to make the playoffs. Failure to make the playoffs was cited as a reason why Amber Stocks was fired. I think there's a certain amount of logic to the idea that the best chance of making the playoffs is to go from being a good offense to a great offense rather than trying to fix the defense, which is basically impossible given the personnel Wade inherited.

At the draft party, assistant coach Carla Morrow stressed that you need shooters in order to be able to attack the rim and you need to attack the rim in order to get open 3-point shots. Obviously, Lou lands pretty strongly on the shooter side of that ledger and allows you to pretty much always have a deadly 3-point shooter on the floor between her and Quigley.

As we all know, 3s and layups are the most efficient shots. I think Wade is trying to design an offense that will get as many 3s and layups as possible and try to go the high-scoring small ball route.

I wonder if he'll try Lou at the 4 for stretches. Sloot-Quigley-Deshields-Lou-Dolson seems very difficult to guard and also like they would give up 150 points per game.
Seattle plays 5 out, leaving, the inside open. Players cut thru, or drive for layups. Forces players like Liz and others to defend all over the court.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Well, :rolleyes: Lou promises to try on the defensive end:

But shooters shoot!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'll enjoy those 160-150 games! ;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Dallas is still without a viable point guard. In training camp, they’ll have Leticia Romero, who averaged, what, about seven minutes a game last year and didn’t even see action in all the games she suited up for? And Brooke McCarty, who lasted a week or two in training camp last year? And neither was drafted. Kaela Davis was the primary backup last year, maybe that’s the stopgap plan and they hope to have Skylar back during the season?

So while Dallas did get some talent, they haven’t filled a huge void.

My vote is definitely for Minnesota.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I just saw at the Lynx website that Shepard and Collier were roomatesmat last fall’s USA Basketball camp, and first bunked together at the when they were on the U14 team. So it seems that there’s some personal chemistry between them as well as mutual respect.

Reaction Score
Dallas is still without a viable point guard. In training camp, they’ll have Leticia Romero, who averaged, what, about seven minutes a game last year and didn’t even see action in all the games she suited up for? And Brooke McCarty, who lasted a week or two in training camp last year? And neither was drafted. Kaela Davis was the primary backup last year, maybe that’s the stopgap plan and they hope to have Skylar back during the season?

So while Dallas did get some talent, they haven’t filled a huge void.

My vote is definitely for Minnesota.
Dallas still has to find someone to replace Cambage as well. If they don't trade her to LA she is going to sit out. I understand LA rescinded their initial trade offer because Dallas waited too long and LA feels Dallas now has less leverage. They had offered two number ones and Vadeeva. That would have gotten them Brown this year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Napheesa getting better before the league starts

Did he call Say "Nice CT!" at the end? Because that would amuse the heck out of me.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Pheesa is so impressive creating space and working the mid range over a taller opponent. :D:D

Reaction Score
Did he call Say "Nice CT!" at the end? Because that would amuse the heck out of me.
I’m not sure lol, I thought he was saying “CP” but I’m not sure

Reaction Score
I think she has a really good chance of being rookie of the year with Maya taking the season off and a starting spot will probably be hers to lose.

Reaction Score
I think people are sleeping on Jackie Young. If she can shoot the three consistently, at her size she’s just as good and more consistent than Durr. She has the size to be able to get to the rim and can play defense.
I think LV will be difficult to beat this year and with Stewart, Moore, and Taurasi out, there are major power vacuums in the league. LA will also be another team that could rise if they can find some consistent guard play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom