Which team...Last years or next years? | The Boneyard

Which team...Last years or next years?

Reaction Score
I was asked if I was a coach which team would I rather coach. Last years team or next years team. I know it's tricky...because Kia, Gabby,Lou, and Pheesa were on last years team along with the big 3. I'm not asking which team is better, but which one would I like to coach. My answer...although the big 3 were legendary, I would rather coach next years team just by virtue of all the possibilities of being at least 8 - 11 deep. Whatcha think?
1. Kia and Gabby would be seniors
2. Lou and Pheesa juniors
3. Azura and Camara
4. Potential of Crystal
5. Megan and the freshman crew

Reaction Score
That would be tough to call because you're asking to choose between fact and potential. Last year, you knew what you had. Next year, you know what you have with the returning starters but not with the freshmen. That is why I say last year's team.

Reaction Score
Tough to speculate that a team would be better than one that had #1, #2 and #3 draft picks in WNBA. Obviously the versions of the same players are much better on next year's team than last year. It would come down to Azura, Crystal and Camara (which I honestly am not sure at all what to expect from.) Very few if any can check Stewie. We have had trouble keeping fast guards (Mitchell) in front of us still not sure who would cover Moriah effectively where she does not breakdown defense.

Pheese vs Tuck I would say even to simplify things. Both inside players with good moves, good post defense and can hit from outside but not main part of game.

Next year's Lou will be an interesting match up for last year's team. Stewie will need to guard Azura so I don't know who can stop her offensively because frosh Lou will not have a chance. Gabby will be another tough matchup because none of the big three would be aligned to guard her and put a body on her to keep her off the glass, so asking a frosh (Lou) or Soph (Kia) to bang against senior Gabby is a lot to ask.

Either way I pick UConn....

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
UConn 2016 was as good a Husky squad as has ever been fielded. UConn 2017-18? The verdict is still out, but it looks to be immensely talented and in a position to vie for a national championship. I mean, the recruiting class is insane. The core of this season's team is only coming back. If anything, everyone should be improved. Lou, Pheesa, and Gabby especially, should only be better.

I don't know about better than 2016, but Championship-worthy? Absolutely.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Last year's team was a lot simpler. Only 7-8 players in the regular rotation. Next year's rotation will be anywhere from 10-14. Trying to get everyone playing time and maintain continuity with that many players will not be easy.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Last year's team was a lot simpler. Only 7-8 players in the regular rotation. Next year's rotation will be anywhere from 10-14. Trying to get everyone playing time and maintain continuity with that many players will not be easy.

You're totally right, but I think Geno will figure out the rotation. How? I couldn't say; it's what geno does. The trick will be to earmark who belongs in an eight-player rotation, and who's going to be on the bench perpetually. If the 2017 recruiting class plus the core of this season's squad understands their respective roles, things should be much easier. And damn fun to watch.

Reaction Score
I think I'd be equally happy to coach either team. However, though not one of the two choices, I would be happiest coaching this year's team because the players individually and as a unit are playing way beyond expectations.

Reaction Score
I choose last year. Ask me after next year as broadway va says -- then I might change my mind.

Last year I knew I had the best player in wcbb.And I knew I had the 2nd best. SO we had the best post and the best perimeter player who was a pg. Next year we're best could be best ever but all these points counterpoints I mentioned are "arguable" for next year's team.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Last year's team was as much of a sure thing as we've ever seen in women's college basketball. They were 100% easier to coach because they had 3 seniors who led the team and knew the level of work ethic needed to produce results. Going into the year, you had 4 starters back, 2 highly rated freshmen to fill reserve roles and a returning sophomore forward who was a solid role player. Come tournament time, no one came close.

Next year could potentially yield similar results, but player roles will need to be defined early on and the lineup is much deeper. 4 starters will be returning along with Dangerfield who is expected to take the reins next season. Now mix in an All American transfer, the number 1 recruit, a couple other solid incoming freshmen and a transfer from a top 15 program and you have a LOT of options which isn't always a good thing. Next year might be more challenging because you'll have a much more competitive bench who will battle for playing time and implementing players who could be go to threats from day 1.

Reaction Score
always let go of the known past, and aspire for the unknown future....especially since you don't have a choice, because you can't keep a team that's graduated :)

Reaction Score
I will take this year.
Last year was and next year will be too good to have fun watching.
This year has so many surprises and happiness.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom