Which player will step up to be the leader of the team? | The Boneyard

Which player will step up to be the leader of the team?

Reaction Score
I'm just thinking about something @jdote33 said in another thread and it got me to thinking. Who will be the new leader, take Evina's place on the team, provide the motivation from within, speak the hard truths?

Does Paige have to do this, too? Or is she maybe too generous for this sort of thing? The team has already shown a tendency the last two years to just watch Paige do everything. Is this maybe a job for Aaliyah? or Dorka? I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Caroline stepped into such a role, even as a sophomore.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Paige is the absolute leader. She has the ball, longevity, the talent and I am guessing a whole new seriousness to her personality After what she has been through, she will get in anyone's face if needed. And Lou Semechal's shooting and serious face looks like a perfect fit. :D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This will be Geno’s 38th year as UConn’s HC. Miraculously, in his previous 37 seasons one or more players have always stepped up to lead the Huskies. Paige and Nika are already consummate leaders on this team. There will undoubtedly be others. I think we’re good…..:cool:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Geno has said that you can`t dip your toe into the same river twice. Things are always changing.

I don`t think there is anyone on the roster who can fill the role that Evina performed so elegantly last season.

But there will be leaders, even though they will lead in different ways.

Paige is already a leader, as is Nika. Paige - generational talent, go to player, outsized personality, on a mission. Nika - burning intensity, defensive maniac, outgoing, always at the center of things. Expect to see those qualities come out even more as they expand their leadership roles as Juniors.

Reaction Score
Not much doubt that Paige is the squadron’s commander.
Geno virtually made her so from the first time she was on the court.
He gave her a blank check to run the show and shoot till her arms dropped off.
Not necessarily a bad move, but left everyone a bit befuddled when she got hurt ( see game vs GA Tech)
Both Nika and Aayleah now have the experience and maturity to share the load and provide the spark to ignite the team in some of these tough OOC games

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Paige is the absolute leader. She has the ball, longevity, the talent and I am guessing a whole new seriousness to her personality After what she has been through, she will get in anyone's face if needed. And Lou Semechal's shooting and serious face looks like a perfect fit. :D
Yes, I figured the question was rhetorical. Evina had a steading influence, but everyone on that team looked to Paige as the unquestioned leader and she absolutely ran the offense. That is not going to change.

Reaction Score
This will be Geno’s 38th year as UConn’s HC. Miraculously, in his previous 37 seasons one or more players have always stepped up to lead the Huskies. Paige and Nika are already consummate leaders on this team. There will undoubtedly be others. I think we’re good…..:cool:
Excuse the use of the word Obvious, but when I read the top of this thread--PAIGE just jumped out. Also, it seemed apparent Evina was the MOMMA not the on floor/team leader. Even sitting on the bench teammates seemed to go to Paige. HuskyNan's Nika the Gnat, just tickled me. I'm sure some teams thought of Nika as swarm of Gnats.

Reaction Score
Yes, I figured the question was rhetorical. Evina had a steading influence, but everyone on that team looked to Paige as the unquestioned leader and she absolutely ran the offense. That is not going to change.
Geno,wouldn't allow that to change. Paige, is his designated leader, without question. When the going got tough it was Paige that led the attack, sometimes taking the shot sometimes changing the play for some to take a better shot. Paige is it. This year, with experience on the floor, Caroline and AZZI could (just an opinion) step into that role.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno has said that you can`t dip your toe into the same river twice. Things are always changing.

I don`t think there is anyone on the roster who can fill the role that Evina performed so elegantly last season.

But there will be leaders, even though they will lead in different ways.

Paige is already a leader, as is Nika. Paige - generational talent, go to player, outsized personality, on a mission. Nika - burning intensity, defensive maniac, outgoing, always at the center of things. Expect to see those qualities come out even more as they expand their leadership roles as Juniors.

I love that defensive maniac!!!

Reaction Score
Do you mean Paige, Aubrey and Nika? It’s the :D that keeps getting you. Or you really really want Evina to show up.;)
I want both Evina and Aubrey. Evina can help Paige to lead the team. Aubrey is a long waiting star I am eager to see.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Yes, my memory can be kind of inconsistent. But. I could swear that I recall Geno on multiple occasions saying that Nika runs things.

I'm thinking that if they figure out how to play the way the coaching staff wants, who's providing the most direction during the game will be kind of fluid.

Reaction Score
Bueckers has the personality to thrive in a leadership role. I'm not sure UConn has had a better player to take that role in a long time. She will lead this family for the next 2 years.

And Mühl will be her Luca Bratzi. :)

Reaction Score
Nika will.
I don't know who will step up and lead, but here is what I see. Nika is the loudest and a "lead from the front" kind of player. I would not want her mad at me and in my face. Paige obviously commands the most respect. Dorka and Lou might be the oldest and wisest. Maybe a Momma E replacement somewhere there?

Reaction Score
Its Paige's team but surprised Azzi didn't get a few mentions. To me, a "team leader" doesn't have to be a loud cheerleader but perform at her best when needed. Last year, in part due to injuries, Azzi at times appeared to be reluctant to take charge. We saw how good she was at the end of the season and likely will view her this year as one of the top performers, not just for UConn, but in the country.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Its Paige's team but surprised Azzi didn't get a few mentions. To me, a "team leader" doesn't have to be a loud cheerleader but perform at her best when needed. Last year, in part due to injuries, Azzi at times appeared to be reluctant to take charge. We saw how good she was at the end of the season and likely will view her this year as one of the top performers, not just for UConn, but in the country.
It’s not in her nature, and in any event would be tough to do as an underclassmen. I think Paige and Nika will do well jointly.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
As you and others have hinted, it doesn't need to be one person. When Nika was on the floor last year, everyone turned to her. On offense and defense and in huddles, she had everyone's attention. Paige does, too, in a different way, and more on offense than defense. UConn does not have a problem with on-floor leaders.

Where Evina really shone was away from basketball. I have no doubt that Paige can lead there, too, but I agree that the team needs someone to take some of that onus off of Paige's shoulders. But that doesn't need to be one person -- maybe Lou and Dorka to provide some maturity, Nika and Caroline for some levity, Azzi and Aubrey for a quiet even keel?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom