Which player is living up to preseason hype? Azzi! | The Boneyard

Which player is living up to preseason hype? Azzi!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wow, a logical discussion, explaining her reasoning without gushing or fawning over any one team, coach or player. Maybe it's the cynic in me (and other BYers) that we see bias everywhere in the scribes who have a history of covering the women's game but it's nice to read a fresh face/view.

Reaction Score
Yes, Azzi is living up to expectations, perhaps exceeding them. But as significant is the improvement to Aaliyah's, Nika's, and Aubrey's game. W/out a TEAM, winning is nigh impossible. (Lou is a bonus.)

Reaction Score
Yes, Azzi is living up to expectations, perhaps exceeding them. But as significant is the improvement to Aaliyah's, Nika's, and Aubrey's game. W/out a TEAM, winning is nigh impossible. (Lou is a bonus.)
Yea. Azzi is “living up” and I think AE is too. Nika and Aubrey are exceeding them.

sun

Reaction Score
I can't imagine what UConn's current rank would be without Azzi's overall contributions.
She pretty much fueled UConn's victory over Texas singlehandedly despite them not having Harmon playing.
I think that as long as Azzi is healthy then UConn really is Azzi's team this year and is its leader by example.
That's due to her hard work, dedication and overall level of talent.
She's like a thoroughbred and the most well rounded UConn player currently on the court.
IMO all of the doubts about her BB abilities have been dismissed.
There's really nothing left for anyone to doubt.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Given that we are already down the best player in the nation (Paige) and one of the best freshmen (Ice) AND our starting center (Dorka), I'd say it's nothing short of miraculous that we have played as well as we have.

@sun said Azzi is leading by example. He did not say she was the leader in huddles, bringing the ball up, being vocal, etc. That almost always is the PG's duties, and Nika is having a remarkable season as she's the engine that makes the team purr smoothly.

And Sun correctly pointed out all the fantastic things Azzi is excelling at this season. Thus far, IMHO, she's the leading candidate for NPOY by a country mile. Of course there is a ton of basketball to be played. Not sure it's humanly possible for her to produce like that the rest of the season. I don't think there's a player in UCONN history who has averaged over 25 PPG for an entire season. I think Maya was close to that in 2011.

Anyway Azzi is showing out. She told Geno she could handle it, and boy she sure has. NPOY Azzi!

Reaction Score
Azzi is not living up to the preseason hype, she's exceeding the preseason hype (if that's even possible).

The player who is merely meeting my expectations is Nika. Everything she is doing routinely now she has done in the past. I will say 1 thing, she is making everyone who trashed her, said she wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't start, etc. in the preseason are now looking very ill-informed. As a freshman Nika was a gnat, now she is a velociraptor.

Reaction Score
Given that we are already down the best player in the nation (Paige)
I think we'll have dueling "best players in the nation" next year. It will be a best-friendly competition between them. I wonder who will be seen as winning it? I have a pretty good idea what each of them will say: "I did!"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom