Which player Can Uconn NOT do without? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Which player Can Uconn NOT do without?

Reaction Score
Pheesa. Her post play can't be duplicated or compensated for.

This should have been a pool question.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
This is coming from a very repentant past offender:

Can we PLUUHHEESSE stop tempting fate????
"Your life is not decided by fate; you must create the future you want by taking the right actions now".......Melchor Lim

Reaction Score
IMO there is no one player.

They've needed all of their main 7 players to be undefeated. If they aren't undefeated, it would mean a strong probability that we would have "needed" that player.

Regarding the 7 players, who do I get if lose one of them? How long do we have to practice before we face a good team?

This team is unique. All the players are needed.

Reaction Score
"Your life is not decided by fate; you must create the future you want by taking the right actions now"..Melchor Lim
And yet--fate allowed you to find that quote and post it!! Fate, like faith comes in all varieties!!

Reaction Score
65008017.jpg
Why do you keep posting Bill Russell's picture?? U of San Francisco, when they still had a team.
Who did Morgan Freeman play for?? I always mixed him up with Morgan Fairchild--although she looked better bathing suit or not.

Reaction Score
Your examples for setting up your question is somewhat incomplete because Lou is on the floor all the time until game is in hand. I think it's both her ability to stay out of foul trouble after game 1 and also Geno realizes she is the straw that mixes the offense same as Gabby is the one on defense. Pheese can stir equally on both sides. Tough call but agree with most this team needs all of them on floor, at least against top competition. This is what makes it hard for choosing MVP. I went back last night and looked at all the stats, and some replays, let's say that each of these guys had a couple off games but the others were able to pick it up for them. This is what I think makes us the most dangerous team.

In all the games where Uconn held a lead and then lost most of it--Katie lou and usually Gabby were in the game during the loss of the lead--Napheesa was saddled with fouls and sitting.
In the MD game--MD took advantage of both Gabby and Napheesa being in foul trouble and attacked them until they sat--and when they returned MD went after them in force. While Napheesa sat the 30 point lead dwindled-until the 4th quarter when neither Gabby nor Napheesa could not defend due to fouls--MD cut the lead to 6. 4 of the 5 plus Danger were in and the lead dwindled.

While it is absolutely, with out a doubt, ALL starting 5 should be on the floor the entire game--tough games--close games-- due to fouls --as we have seen--they won't be. And every top or some bottom teams (ECU) will try very hard to get them into foul trouble. Uconn greatest weakness--limited bench with a tendency of top player to foul.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
And yet--fate allowed you to find that quote and post it!! Fate, like faith comes in all varieties!!
That was NOT fate. I did it purposely to prove a point...WHY are some people getting upset.....just because I want the girls to stay injury free and WIN!

Reaction Score
That was NOT fate. I did it purposely to prove a point...WHY are some people getting upset.....just because I want the girls to stay injury free and WIN!

I seriously doubt that anyone would NOT agree with you. Some believe in fate, some in faith, some in nothing (like me)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I agree with ChuckR that it's both Pheesa and the rest. Pheesa's inside presence is indispensable, but even more than that, her Zen-like countenance seems to have a calming effect on the team. At least it does for me.

Reaction Score
The beauty of this team is how the parts fit together. The weakness of this team is how few parts there are and the value that each part brings to the whole. The tournament will be very interesting, especially if the games lined up so that UConn had to play both SC and Baylor. For this team, thin as it is, to win those games back to back would be a tremendous accomplishment.

I also believe Fla State is a very, very, very tough team. They can guard the perimeter and have an athlete or two that can guard Gabby and an athlete that can guard the paint.

This team is so unique. They can wipe out anybody yet capable of going into a funk. Remarkable this entire season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
anyone in the starting five
Ding, ding, ding! This is the correct answer.

When any of the starting five is out, the offense slows down considerably. The only exception to that is when a healthy Crystal comes in for Saniya. I think the most indispensable are Napheesa, Gabby, and Lou, with Kia right behind them.

Reaction Score
In all the games where Uconn held a lead and then lost most of it--Katie lou and usually Gabby were in the game during the loss of the lead--Napheesa was saddled with fouls and sitting.
In the MD game--MD took advantage of both Gabby and Napheesa being in foul trouble and attacked them until they sat--and when they returned MD went after them in force. While Napheesa sat the 30 point lead dwindled-until the 4th quarter when neither Gabby nor Napheesa could not defend due to fouls--MD cut the lead to 6. 4 of the 5 plus Danger were in and the lead dwindled.

While it is absolutely, with out a doubt, ALL starting 5 should be on the floor the entire game--tough games--close games-- due to fouls --as we have seen--they won't be. And every top or some bottom teams (ECU) will try very hard to get them into foul trouble. Uconn greatest weakness--limited bench with a tendency of top player to foul.

What your saying is accurate but your missing my point... Lou is on the floor all the time so you don't know if Lou missed extended time of against strong competition what would occur with just Pheese and Gabby (and rest of squad.) Ito not as evident as the examples you provide of the others because that has occurred a few times to them. I can tell you one thing, other teams did not create a box and one against anyone else. She has a significant impact just being in the floor too.

Reaction Score
What your saying is accurate but your missing my point... Lou is on the floor all the time so you don't know if Lou missed extended time of against strong competition

The fire power of Katie Lou cannot be under estimated! If she is sidelined--I hate to think of that--the impact will se significant. Depending upon the opponent--Napheesa, Gabby, Kia, Chong and if Danger is ready she will help make up the loss of points. If it happens in the USC game---I too hate to think of this.
Because of past history, excluding injury, KLS tends to not foul and Gabby and Napheesa do. I haven't given a box and one's impact on the team much thought--you can bet Geno has--I don't think even the Great DT ever found as many ways to score as KLS. Thanks--for making me think of this potential--interesting!!!

Reaction Score
"The Whole is Equal to the Sum of its Parts. "

For this team with it's thin bench, losing any part of the "whole" would be a critical loss, most likely fatal loss for winning a NC. They can't afford to lose anybody.

You are dead on. Come up with a different question, because no ranked team has a thinner bench.

Reaction Score

According to the box score, UConn's biggest lead in the MD game was 19, at 7:23 of the 3rd quarter. But I agree with your main point....

Reaction Score
According to the box score, UConn's biggest lead in the MD game was 19, at 7:23 of the 3rd quarter. But I agree with your main point....
Thanks good catch---but that lead allowed Uconn to keep the lead, with 2 players out --until the end of the 4th quarter. Thanks--for agreeing on the main point--and ignoring my screw up!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom