Which Major NPOY Award is the Most Prestigious? | The Boneyard

Which Major NPOY Award is the Most Prestigious?

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
Sorry if this topic has been discussed before.

Of the following five major NPOY awards, which one do you think is THE most prestigious (year of 1st award in parenthesis)?

1. Wade Trophy--WBCA (1978)
2. Naismith CPOY--Atlanta Tipoff Club (1983)
3. USBWA NPOY--USBWA (1988)
4. AP CPOY--AP (1995)
5. John R. Wooden Award--Los Angeles Athletic Club (2004)

I'd say it's the Wade Trophy, partly because of its history, partly because I inherently have more faith in coaches than journalists in evaluating talent.

I don't think anyone would be able to sweep all the above awards this year, despite the relentless hype by ESPN for Wilson. KLS may just be able to snatch one or two.

Reaction Score
Sorry if this topic has been discussed before.

Of the following five major NPOY awards, which one do you think is THE most prestigious (year of 1st award in parenthesis)?

1. Wade Trophy--WBCA (1978)
2. Naismith CPOY--Atlanta Tipoff Club (1983)
3. USBWA NPOY--USBWA (1988)
4. AP CPOY--AP (1995)
5. John R. Wooden Award--Los Angeles Athletic Club (2004)

I'd say it's the Wade Trophy, partly because of its history, partly because I inherently have more faith in coaches than journalists in evaluating talent.

I don't think anyone would be able to sweep all the above awards this year, despite the relentless hype by ESPN for Wilson. KLS may just be able to snatch one or two.
The Naismith trophy is the most prestigious.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
When assessing the top POY for the season, I just look at the top 5-6 awards and see who took home the bulk of the them. There isn’t one that really stands out IMO.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Wade Trophy is named after early Women's College BB pioneer, accomplished player & legendary Delta coach Lily Margaret Wade.
Wooden Award is named after Men's BB player and coach, actually born before Wade.
Naismith Trophy is named after the man generally acknowledged to have invented the game of BB, disputed by the Lambert G. Will Family.

I kinda like the awards/trophies honoring a woman, including Wade, Lieberman, Drysdale, Staley. Of course, I'd also like a female Oscar statue given out to female Academy Award winners.

Wade Trophy has gone to a UCONN player 9 times. Naismith 10 times, and the very late-arriving Wooden 5 times. Not much to distinguish which selectors are the most perceptive (that is, by selecting a Husky the most times).
th

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That’s a good question. The Wade is probably at the top. It is the oldest and specific to WCBB. I believe the other 4 have both men’s and women’s versions.

I would probably put the Naismith 2nd. Note that some greats (Maya et al.) won it in both high school and college. I’d put the AP a close 3rd.

My semi-educated assessment.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am going with the Wade as a special effort was made to create something for the Women, the Wooden is almost an afterthought as Men's CBB had it for a quite a few years before they started adding women.

Reaction Score
I would say the Wade. Though the failure to award the 1993 Wade to Sheryl Swoopes must be among the greatest slights in history, ranking close to Citizen Kane not getting the Best Picture Oscar. One of the most poignant moments in Wade history was the expression on Candace Parker's face after Candice Wiggins was announced as the 2008 Wade winner.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We should ask Maya or Stewie. I think they won ALL of them. :D

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I would say the Wade. Though the failure to award the 1993 Wade to Sheryl Swoopes must be among the greatest slights in history, ranking close to Citizen Kane not getting the Best Picture Oscar. One of the most poignant moments in Wade history was the expression on Candace Parker's face after Candice Wiggins was announced as the 2008 Wade winner.

Actually while Wade is the one of the most prestigious, I think it's one of the least accurate. It seems they've had an anti-UT stance when you look at their choice vs who most publications chose.
1998 Penicheiro over Holdsclaw who won every other POY award
1999 Stephanie White over Holdsclaw who won most other POY awards
2000 Edwina Brown over Tamika Catchings, Catch won most POY awards
2008 Candice Wiggins over Candace Parker, Parker won most POY awards

Tennessee has had 1 Wade Trophy Winner in the last 24 years, but they've won AP POY 5 times. They also fudged and gave the Wade Trophy to Sims instead of Stewart in 2014.

Reaction Score
Actually while Wade is the one of the most prestigious, I think it's one of the least accurate. It seems they've had an anti-UT stance when you look at their choice vs who most publications chose.

Tennessee has had 1 Wade Trophy Winner in the last 24 years, but they've won AP POY 5 times. They also fudged and gave the Wade Trophy to Sims instead of Stewart in 2014.
Those Wade 4 Wade Choices all seem mistaken, although the Wiggins/Parker would have been close.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Those Wade 4 Wade Choices all seem mistaken, although the Wiggins/Parker would have been close.

I think Parker was robbed that year. In 2008 she won Naismith, AP, USBWA, Wooden Award, Honda Broderick Cup (best female collegiate athlete in all sports), Best Female Athlete ESPN, and ESPN.com Player of the Year.

For AP voting, Parker was a landslide winner with 40/50 votes. Next closest was Maya Moore with 5, Fowles and Wiggins each had 2.

John Wooden award was also a landslide victory for Parker, and Wiggins finished in 4th:
Parker-274 points
Moore-144 points
Fowles-134 points
Wiggins-121 points

Wade Trophy was the clear outlier here when you look at results. Parker was the clear choice by every other publication. I'm not sure Wiggins even finished top 2 in any award voting besides Wade.

Reaction Score

My understanding is that Wade voters are encouraged to take off-court factors into consideration in voting choices (eg. academic honors, leadership, community service). I just remember reading that once. So the best basketball player might not necessarily win, though usually does. For example, in 2010 Tina Charles won the Naismith and AP POY awards but Maya Moore won the Wade. That is not to say the Tennessee players you listed were not deserving - I haven't a clue what they brought to the table in terms of other criteria.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
My understanding is that Wade voters are encouraged to take off-court factors into consideration in voting choices (eg. academic honors, leadership, community service). I just remember reading that once. So the best basketball player might not necessarily win, though usually does. For example, in 2010 Tina Charles won the Naismith and AP POY awards but Maya Moore won the Wade. That is not to say the Tennessee players you listed were not deserving - I haven't a clue what they brought to the table in terms of other criteria.

FWIW, in 2008 Parker was the 'ESPN the Magazine Academic All-American of the Year' and earned first-team Academic All-America honors.

Regardless though, I think including academics, community service, etc. should discredit the award. Whoever has had the best basketball season and/or been the best player when you look at their body work. That's who I'm picking for my POY. There are awards like Academic All-American of the Year, NCAA Woman of the Year and others for off the court accomplishments. Off the court success is fantastic, but POY awards should go to the best player on the court that season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom