Which is Better - Inept Offense or Inept Defense | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Which is Better - Inept Offense or Inept Defense

Reaction Score
Um, last year?
Exactly. Last year was almost the nail in the coffin for this program in terms of fan support.

Count our blessings for Dave Bennedict, but real damage happened last year. People haven't exactly bought in to Randy coming back.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Summers was dominating games two years ago, not sure what happened.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Gary Wilburn was worse imo, but Bell is struggling back there for sure. Maybe 2nd worst.

I am not sure about that one. The last time I've seen someone gets burned so much was Elvis "Toast" Patterson from the NY Giants
One thing Wilburn and Bell have in common, they are both slow for cornerbacks and their cover skills are lacking.

Reaction Score
People haven't exactly bought in to Randy coming back.
Well, I think most people have had a wait and see attitude. Personally, his regime is growing on me. Especially his straightforward manner of speaking (we don't feel like we are getting bullzhitted when we hear him) and Lashlee's offense. I am starting to feel like they will get this program back on track although the D is a huge worry.

I went from full season tix last year to buying only two games (HC and Mizzou) this year. I knew there wasn't gonna be an instant turnaround and that this year was likely to be as bad as the last (I picked 3 wins and now it looks like 2). With a lot of things to do in the Fall involving doing sports rather than watching sports, I simply do not feel obligated to buy tix to see bad football and a dismal record. A lot of people feel that way. Doesn't mean we are not big fans, it just means we look at the quality of the product we are buying. UConn doesn't have to have the potential to go to a NY6 bowl for me to be there at every game, but they should at least have the potential to get to 5 wins which is my personal definition of being competitive. I didn't buy because I didn't think that could ever happen. It is what it is. Feel free to flame away.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
we'll never win a championship so I'd rather have fun watching the games
1) Lol at your avatar.

2) I have to confess that deep down inside, in a place that I don't talk about at parties, I believe that we will win a championship. Sure there is no reasonable path that I can see that will get us there. We are trapped in "the P6." We don't have natural recruiting grounds and we are competing for recruits against teams with a much better established tradition. We play in a very nice but smallish stadium located thirty minutes from campus in a region that has more pro than college allegiances and we have no natural rival.

But I am old enough to remember a time when everyone was quite sure when we'd never get out of the play in game in BE for basketball, when we'd never sniff a winning season in conference, never mind win a regular season championship. Winning a game or two in the BE Tournament was a dream, winning the whole thing an impossibility. Getting to the final four, gosh if we were lucky and everything came together, maybe we'd achieve that once. Winning a national championship was never going to happen. Winning four in last 20 years? Silly. We could never be that dominant. And yet here we are, one the greatest basketball schools of the last two decades.

Now you might say, well football is not basketball; the path to success, never mind a national championship is far, far harder. And of course you'd be right. But then again we told we'd have to wait decades to get in a bowl game, never mind win one. Winning seasons? They just won't happen. We'd never beat the teams from established conferences like the Big 10 and SEC, but we did. We'd never win games against the marquee schools of college football, like Notre Dame, but we have and at their house.

So yeah, I realize we are down pretty far right now, losing to the dregs of college football, but deep down, in a place that I don't talk about at parties, I believe in us, in this university, because we've beaten the odds before.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Champion level defense wins championships. Not quite what this topic is asking us.

True, but mediocre defense wins games against mediocre teams. Before you win championships, you need to beat the just OK teams. You do that with a decent defense.

Reaction Score
True, but mediocre defense wins games against mediocre teams. Before you win championships, you need to beat the just OK teams. You do that with a decent defense.
I'd argue that we've had a mediocre defense for the past 6 years.... it didn't really work.

Reaction Score
UConn football improves only when recruiting improves. And, recruiting improves only when UConn gets in a P5 Conference. We saw that once UConn attained membership the BE.

Reaction Score
UConn football improves only when recruiting improves. And, recruiting improves only when UConn gets in a P5 Conference. We saw that once UConn attained membership the BE.
Honestly I don't think it'll even take a P5 conference for recruiting to improve. What RE2.0 has done on the trail so far hasn't been all that bad. Development will be the key. It was the key to our success in his first time around, let's hope he can replicate it.

Reaction Score
I'd argue that we've had a mediocre defense for the past 6 years.... it didn't really work.

With the exceptions of 2013 and 2016, this is objectively false.

The defense was mediocre/bad last year. Prior to that it was solid to very good except for when Hughes was left in charge on his own.

Reaction Score
You can be boring or you can be bad. You can't be both. That game Saturday wasn't boring. One of the worst games I've sat through was that win over Virginia last year.

The worst feeling in the world is when you're down 17, and you know ain't a chance in hell your offense is capable of mounting 3 scoring drives.

We are far from crisp on offense, but the scheme is so much better. We have just recruited to a 1986 ground and pound style for too long so it will take time. We have also recruited for a bend but don't break style on defense so we lack playmakers on defense.

Both these things will improve with time.

Bingo.

Our biggest problem is fan support and buy-in. If you play a boring style of football, the only way you draw eyeballs is if you thread the needle to a 9-win season. And even then fans will always be skeptical that you're winning through luck and gimmicks.

A high-flying offense will draw interest and make this program look legitimate in the eyes of fans and also recruits. It can also help you win games!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's a novel idea, but being "inept" in any phase of the game isn't much fun. I like the new offensive results thus far, and they have made improvements each game. Shirrefs not running on every pass play helps. The defense has to improve from inept to mediocre. Watching bad teams just roll through your defense isn't very entertaining, especially the epic long drives UVA had against us.

We failed to return punts under Diaco, now we simply fail to receive any punts. I want some damned punt returns!

Reaction Score
Losing is never fun, but watching an inept offense is 100 x worse than watching an inept defense from this fan's perspective. I'd much prefer to sit through a game where my team moves the ball, scores points and at least provides some excitement even in a loss. The flipside of watching your team look like dog s*** on offense losing is nauseating. This is coming from a person who sat through possibly the worst contest in the history of inept football PSU v. Iowa 6-4 in a rainstorm.

Reaction Score
Inept defense is better because at least when you have offense production it looks like you showed up to the game and played. When you get shut out or close to, you might as well of stayed home.

Reaction Score
With the exceptions of 2013 and 2016, this is objectively false.

The defense was mediocre/bad last year. Prior to that it was solid to very good except for when Hughes was left in charge on his own.
You're right, I was thinking on average but I guess I forgot how good our defenses had been prior to BD. It proves my point even further though. We couldn't beat OK teams with GOOD defenses.

Reaction Score
My recollection is that during the HCPP years the D was awesome. It was the O that had adopted the run run pass punt predictability that wasn't so great. But even there UConn almost beat Michigan. Have my advanced years betrayed me?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom