Which Husky Will Surprise? | The Boneyard

Which Husky Will Surprise?

Which player (Piath, Mir, Saylor & Amari) will earn meaningful PT this season?

• Piath

Votes: 25 50.0%
  • Mir

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Saylor

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Amari

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We all know this is one of the deepest rosters UConn WBB has ever fielded with estimates that the rotation could include as many as 10 players. That total still omits 4 very talented players. So I thought it would be worthwhile to survey the BY on the 4 players who aren’t getting a lot of love in anyone’s projection of PT this coming season.

Which player from among Piath, Mir, Saylor & Amari has the best chance to surprise and earn meaningful PT this year and why?

Reaction Score
I think you have correctly identified the four players most likely to be on the outside of the rotation. If everyone is healthy I think my answer would be none of the above, but everyone isn't, so with Aubrey still out for a while my answer would be Mir. She may have been third on the depth chart for PF, and now moves up with Aubrey out.

I still think those minutes will be pretty limited, however, because I suspect Geno may go with a three big rotation with Aaliyah, Liv and Dorka with just a few minutes for a fourth. Mir was quite effective in limited minutes and the others of course don't have any real experience at the college level.

At this point those four appear to be backups to the backups, that need to pass someone very good ahead of them, or get an opportunity because of injury, with the later being more likely IMO. All four would probably be big contributors at other programs and are much better than their likely playing time would suggest. Uconn may have never had as much talent outside the top 10 as this group.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Don't see any of them getting minutes and I don't mean a few minutes, meaningful minutes which to me means extended minutes with the game on the line. None of those you listed, unless we are struck with injuries. Just too many bodies not enough time. :(

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Of that group, Mir is the most likely. Saylor, unfortunately, is dealing with an injury. Mir has nice form on her FT shot. Last year, she played inside and was too deep under the boards to get a shot off among the trees. I'd like to see her shoot from 4' to 14'. Her elevation helps her get it off. She's not as strong as Gabby, but she's very acrobatic.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Which player from among Piath, Mir, Saylor & Amari has the best chance to surprise and earn meaningful PT this year and why?

Welcome to the UCONN Minutes Derby!
They're at the gate with Mirthful Mir on the inside as the favorite.
In the 2nd and 3rd positions we have Golden Amari and Swabbie Saylor.
On the far outside we have Archangel Piath.
And they're Off!
Jumping into the lead is Mir with Amari and Saylor close behind.
And Piath brings up the rear.
Amari is making a move but Mir manages to pull away.
Saylor is hold her position with an easy pace.
Here comes Amari again challenging Mir with Saylor falling off the pace.
Coming into the backstretch turn it is Mir followed closely by Amari and Saylor lagging back.
Wait! Coming strong on the outside is Piath!
Piath passes Saylor and is gaining strongly on Amari!
In the backstretch it is Mir, Amari, Piath, and Saylor.
They're charging hard with Piath pulling even with Amari.
Piath passes Amari and is neck and neck with Mir.
Mir is game on the inside. Piath is game on the outside.
Here they come to the wire.
It's Piath by a neck!
Piath wins! Piath wins!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
To answer your question, I chose Piath. She’s at the bottom of the depth chart. She was brought in with the understanding that she would be a long term project. This is year 2. While she has made some improvement, she still has a long way to go, thus the expectations for her ( for this year) are minimal. It is for that reason in my opinion she would surprise me the most. Our expectations of the other 3 are much higher.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I expect much more from Mir, and expect her to get more playing time than Piath, including meaningful minutes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For me it’s Piath. I love her personal story, how she transformed her body in the off-season, how she runs the court and mostly her big, beautiful smile. In her few minutes in the Ft Hays exhibition, Piath moved confidently, ran the court, rebounded and made all 3 of her shots.

As the saying goes, “You can’t teach size.” Piath is not only 6’5”, but she is also someone you just have to root for.

Reaction Score
I say none of the above as well. They are who we think they are. Wishing them well but don’t expect any of them to get appreciable playing time.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Mir splashed a couple of threes last year and looked fairly good doing it. Small N, I know. To my untrained eye, her long-range shooting form is better than Aubrey's. AG takes a long time to launch.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The only reason Saylor is in that group is injury. If she gets 100% healthy and is able to practice fully, she’ll be in the rotation.

That said, she hasn’t been healthy in two years, so it’s a big if.

Reaction Score
Assuming there is potentially an injury at some point this season, I think Amari emerges from that group. She has the size and skill and now she is in the best shape of her life.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Wish them all well. Think Piath stands a good chance of minutes. Poor Saylor just goes from one injury to the next, and I am hoping she can get on course. Amari needs practice and conditioning. If Aubrey cannot play, Mirr gets a chance. Nice problem to have though for coach.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If Geno commits to a 3-guard, 2-big configuration, then he really needs a fourth big to go with Liv / Aaliyah / Dorka, given how foul-prone they all are. I don't see Aubrey as the best candidate for that even if she is healthy -- because of her size, she needs to be playing on the wing.

If we make that assumption, then the "4th big" choice comes down to Caroline Ducharme / Piath / Amari, as I see it. I think Caroline Ducharme has the inside track there, unless either Piath or Amari show something in practice that we haven't really seen yet (although there were some positive indications in the Fort Hays exhibition).

But it could turn out that Aubrey's jump shot still isn't good enough to allow her to play on the wing (and maybe Mir's isn't either), so Caroline Ducharme has to back up Evina at the 3. That would give Piath and Amari an opportunity to duke it out for the "4th big" role.

Reaction Score
If Geno commits to a 3-guard, 2-big configuration, then he really needs a fourth big to go with Liv / Aaliyah / Dorka, given how foul-prone they all are. I don't see Aubrey as the best candidate for that even if she is healthy -- because of her size, she needs to be playing on the wing.

If we make that assumption, then the "4th big" choice comes down to Caroline Ducharme / Piath / Amari, as I see it. I think Caroline Ducharme has the inside track there, unless either Piath or Amari show something in practice that we haven't really seen yet (although there were some positive indications in the Fort Hays exhibition).

But it could turn out that Aubrey's jump shot still isn't good enough to allow her to play on the wing (and maybe Mir's isn't either), so Caroline Ducharme has to back up Evina at the 3. That would give Piath and Amari an opportunity to duke it out for the "4th big" role.
I actually think that with the roster we have now Aubrey would be an excellent fourth “big.” We have enough shooters that she could get by with an ok midrange with the right lineup. Hopefully that’s improved from last season, but who knows.

As Geno said, she brings something that no one else does. What she’s done in the more limited minutes she’s gotten has been impressive, statistically speaking. Her athleticism and nose for rebounds, could proof extremely beneficially against certain teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom