Which former Huskies do the current players remind you of? | The Boneyard

Which former Huskies do the current players remind you of?

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score

Karaban reminds me if Neils Giffey but a more talented version.

Not sure we have a comparison for Clingan but maybe he is a bigger and stronger version of Voskuhl.

There has to be a comparison for Hawkins but I’m not quite sure who.

Joey California is Rashad Anderson light.

Reaction Score
What makes this team so interesting is that Im not sure there are too many comparisons to other players or teams from recent years. Yes, we’ve had dominant big guys down low, but Adama’s skill set is so different compared to an Emeka, Thabeet, Boone, etc. Tristen has played good so far and as a PG, I cannot think of anybody’s game that resembles his. Newton is a 6-5 PG, Chris Smith, Taliek, Ricky Moore, Kemba, and Shabazz were all smaller guards around 6 or 6-1. Andre Jackson is one of the most unique athletes we ever had, and Clingan has a chance to be in the Huskies of Honor. I like the Karaban/Niels Giffey comparison.

Reaction Score
I definitely get Hawkins/Ray comparisons to an extent. Ray was more assertive and had trouble with chairs.
Calcaterra I'm getting a better version of Kromah from for some reason. Probably ridiculous I'll admit.
There is no Clingan comp on our program I can think of. I think he is El Amin and Voskul in a trench coat. Without pump sneakers.
Is Sanogo like Adrien with better footwork, scoring and post moves? Not as physical?
I see the Karaban/Giffey thing. Karaban is a better shooter out of the box though and if I remember Giffey was around the basket/on the glass more.
Trying to find a comp for Newton is tough because of his combination of size, shooting ability, passing/assists and getting to the free throw line. Maybe if Jalen Adams and Shabazz Napier were combined into one player?
Comps are goofy and hard to make unless someone's game, size and ability are dead ringers.
If Ajax had Daniel Hamilton's shooting he'd be in the league already.

Reaction Score
Springs reminds me of freshman Kirk King. Clinging a bit of Travis Knight. I see a bit of Uri Cohen-Mintz in Hasson. Emmet Hendry makes me think of Matt Garry, mainly because we haven't had anyone else wear 41 in decades.

Reaction Score
Andre’s athleticism is probably only rivaled by Scott Burrell and Sticks, maybe Rudy too. They were all better offensive players than he is though.

Hawkins/Ray comparison is solid. Albert Mouring also comes to mind for some reason, maybe due to his shooting prowess.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No one is going to agree with me, but Karaban kinda reminds me of Jeremy Lamb. Lamb was smaller, quicker and more athletic. Karaban is bigger and at least on paper is playing PF. But they both can shoot and there's a similar smoothness to both of their games.

I also remember being surprised how well Lamb handled the ball. The same thought has crossed my mind watching Karaban play. It's sorta relative to their sizes. Lamb was a big guard that handled the ball almost as good as a small guard. Karaban is legit forward size and handles the ball like a traditional SG.

Anyways, kind of a dumb comparison. Just a few similar thoughts I had watching both play early in their careers.

Reaction Score
I definitely get Hawkins/Ray comparisons to an extent. Ray was more assertive and had trouble with chairs.
Calcaterra I'm getting a better version of Kromah from for some reason. Probably ridiculous I'll admit.
There is no Clingan comp on our program I can think of. I think he is El Amin and Voskul in a trench coat. Without pump sneakers.
Is Sanogo like Adrien with better footwork, scoring and post moves? Not as physical?
I see the Karaban/Giffey thing. Karaban is a better shooter out of the box though and if I remember Giffey was around the basket/on the glass more.
Trying to find a comp for Newton is tough because of his combination of size, shooting ability, passing/assists and getting to the free throw line. Maybe if Jalen Adams and Shabazz Napier were combined into one player?
Comps are goofy and hard to make unless someone's game, size and ability are dead ringers.
If Ajax had Daniel Hamilton's shooting he'd be in the league already.
The closest approximation of a good comparison that I can think of for Tristan Newton could be Marcus Williams. Williams was about 6'3" slightly shorter than Newton at 6'5", but was an assist machine at about 8 per game. While doesn't that assist average (right now) he does have a great passing game and find the open man. Both can also pentrate and draw fouls pretty well.

Reaction Score
Hawkins is a much better all-around player than him, but his fearlessness shooting the ball this year reminds me of Rashad Anderson. Slash just let it fly, and nobody ever cared. The rest of their games aren’t very similar.

Reaction Score
You have to go way back to find a big UConn point guard who fills the stat sheet like Newton does. I think I found a closer comp than I planned.

Tristen Newton, with UConn: 12.6 points, 5.0 rebounds, 4.9 assists, 1.7 steals, 1.7 turnovers, 0.4 blocks, 40.0% from 3, 79.2% FT, 6'5"
Doron Sheffer, career: 13.0 points, 4.4 rebounds, 5.5 assists, 1.9 steals, 2.0 turnovers, 0.2 blocks, 39.7% from 3, 80.4% FT, 6'5"

Reaction Score
Some people say Karaban and Henefeld
I like the comparison with Giffey for Karaban rather than Henefeld
Hawkins a cross between Ray , Chris Smith &Caron but really none of the above
Sanogo has a unique touch for a big but his built and game reminds me of Corny
Newton is more like Tate in his approach and size than anyone.
His ability to get to the line is greater
Joey C brings a little John Gwynn vibe
Jackson a combo of The Dove and Burrell
Ironically when Jackson is in with

Reaction Score
You have to go way back to find a big UConn point guard who fills the stat sheet like Newton does. I think I found a closer comp than I planned.

Tristen Newton, with UConn: 12.6 points, 5.0 rebounds, 4.9 assists, 1.7 steals, 1.7 turnovers, 0.4 blocks, 40.0% from 3, 79.2% FT, 6'5"
Doron Sheffer, career: 13.0 points, 4.4 rebounds, 5.5 assists, 1.9 steals, 2.0 turnovers, 0.2 blocks, 39.7% from 3, 80.4% FT, 6'5"
Oh, I like that, yes. Tristen Newton does compare very well with Doron Sheffer. I actually which switch initial comparison from Marcus Williams to Doron Sheffer. Although, Williams does have some pretty good similarities to Newton as well.

Reaction Score
There is no UConn comp for Donovan. Naming the first white UConn center that comes to mind is pretty lazy.
Race has nothing to do with why I named Travis Knight. He just legitimately reminds me more of TK than of our other previous centers, even if it's a vague similarly. If it makes you happy, I'll say he reminds me of Thabeet.

Reaction Score
Hawkins’ game is similar to Ray’s — athletic, good shooter with a quick release, but not a great handle.

The Karaban - Henefeld comparison is less appropriate. Henefeld was much stronger and slower, and made up for it by being a basketball savant. Karaban is a better athlete and shooter.

Newton’s game isn’t similar to Sheffer or Williams. The comparison is only because they are all big guards. Best comparison for me is John Salmons, the former Miami guard.

Calcaterra is Brian Fair.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Karaban reminds me if Neils Giffey but a more talented version.

Not sure we have a comparison for Clingan but maybe he is a bigger and stronger version of Voskuhl.

There has to be a comparison for Hawkins but I’m not quite sure who.

Joey California is Rashad Anderson light.

Karaban is more talented than Neils Giffey? Giffey was a major contributor on two National Championship teams. Karaban has a lot of work to do to become Giffey.

Hawkins should watch Richard Hamilton game film to learn how a skinny wing can become a star.

Calhoun would have loved a center like Clingan. He is bigger and stronger than Okafor was as a frosh. Okafor had incredible defensive instincts and was so smart, and I don't know if Clingan has that or will get it.

I would like a few more games against quality opponents with Joey C. and Newton to get a better sense of how good they are. I don't see how Joey C. can keep up his insane shooting.

Reaction Score
Sanogo = Okafor
I dont like the comparison. Sanogo was better offensively and Okafor was better defensively, rebounding and blocking shots. Two very different players other than their size and position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom