Which 1st round game did you enjoy watching more? | The Boneyard

Which 1st round game did you enjoy watching more?

Which 1st round game did you enjoy more?

• UCONN over St Francis 140-52

• UCONN over Quinnipiac 71-46

Results are only viewable after voting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UCONN's record breaking performance against St Francis or the much slowed down game vs. Quinnipiac?

Note that I'm not asking which game was more important - obviously making the sweet 16 is better than making the round of 32, but I'm asking which game you enjoyed watching more...

Reaction Score
I think the 'right' answer is probably 'Q', but the were both pretty difficult to watch.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Enjoyed both but for different reasons.

St. Francis - the speed at which we scored. I was in shock by halftime.
Quinnipiac - hard fought, grind it out, win and advance. Putting some of our critics in their place.

Duke is next. Expect a grind it out game unless we can turn them over and run.

Reaction Score
UCONN's record breaking performance against St Francis or the much slowed down game vs. Quinnipiac?

Note that I'm not asking which game was more important - obviously making the sweet 16 is better than making the round of 32, but I'm asking which game you enjoyed watching more...

ERIC: the ST F game was more fun in this corner. Have played ON both styles also and enjoyed both, but think the run and gun is just plain old "more fun."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think the 'right' answer is probably 'Q', but the were both pretty difficult to watch.
They were? I loved them both, but enjoyed the St Francis game more... But that's just me, hence the reason for the poll question - several UCONN fans have complained this season about the blowout games in the AAC and that they were somehow not enjoyable to watch. I don't get it, but like I said, hence the poll!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Q. St. Francis just made me mad. If it came at a time in the tourney where we had to play a really tough foe next, it could have been a difference maker. If that is the only way his team can play, shame on him. Tricia Fabbri, was in the stands and saw the carnage and gave up their usual up tempo game and got the job done in 1 1/2 days.

Reaction Score
ERIC: the ST F game was more fun in this corner. Have played ON both styles also and enjoyed both, but think the run and gun is just plain old "more fun."
Q. St. Francis just made me mad. If it came at a time in the tourney where we had to play a really tough foe next, it could have been a difference maker. If that is the only way his team can play, shame on him. Tricia Fabbri, was in the stands and saw the carnage and gave up their usual up tempo game and got the job done in 1 1/2 days.

I could not agree with 'Rocky more. SF was just aggravating. I don't mind the blowouts when it happens because UCONN plays well. SF had a plan but when the strategy didn't work, the SF coach didn't try to adjust. For the Q game, I understand the idea of trying to limit UCONN scoring by limiting possessions, but it cuts down on Q's chances to score, too. It seems relatively certain that Q is not a better shooting team, so it is just trying to limit the damage. I didn't think either was fun to watch. If I had to pick one as better, I'd take Q because at least it didn't feel like the players were thrown to the wolves. It's just my two cents, and I understand there are other opinions.

Reaction Score
This is like being asked to choose between two pieces of cherry pie.

The St. Francis game came as a surprise (the score, not the win); it was thrilling and almost surreal watching it unfold.

The Quinnipiac game was obviously played differently. But I found it every bit as thrilling. The first half was the best half of basketball i’ve seen played against UConn in a long time. And it wasn’t until the third quarter that you began to get the sense that maybe Quinnipiac would not be able to pull off a miracle. With Tricia Fabbri, the 23-game winning streak, the senior daughter playing in perhaps her last game (or perhaps not?), the David-Goliath in-state match up , and a sweet 16 bearth on the line… This was just poised to be dramatic. And for a while, it really was.

On retrospect, the game is also interesting in the aftermath of the St. Francis blowout, and serves as a response to anyone taking seriously the “bad for basketball“ blather.

It was also very gratifying seeing our players find different ways to grind out a tough game where not everything was working well. And as everyone knows, this game was needed to help prepare us for what lies ahead.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL!! Two pieces of cherry pies but with completely different ingredients, appearances and tastes. Great post connie.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
1st game - Run & gun = lots of "non stop" action! Multiple records set in this game. If you blinked, you missed something.
2nd game - slow down, run the shot clock down to zero to minimize the number of possessions for the opponent = Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

UConn prevailed in both, showing they can play either type of game. Pick your poison. :cool:

Reaction Score
St. Francis was tough to watch after awhile. Another thread mentioned a head coach who, ahem, has much to learn.

Quinnipiac was a fully-satisfying 40 minutes of damn high quality women’s basketball. The scoreboard seemed a bit irrelevant last night. UConn was in control but the pyrotechnics were muted. Credit the opponent. The pace and quality of play from both squads made for enjoyable viewing.

The bonus for Husky fans is in seeing UConn’s cool approach to what, for many other teams, might have been a trap game. Not in Geno’s world.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Quinnipiac game had the interesting Nutmeg State story line, but watching Q run 20-29 seconds of the shot clock without trying to make a play was like watching paint dry. As extreme as the St. Francis game was, the lively pace made it far more watchable.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
This is like being asked to choose between two pieces of cherry pie.

The St. Francis game came as a surprise (the score, not the win); it was thrilling and almost surreal watching it unfold.

The Quinnipiac game was obviously played differently. But I found it every bit as thrilling. The first half was the best half of basketball i’ve seen played against UConn in a long time. And it wasn’t until the third quarter that you began to get the sense that maybe Quinnipiac would not be able to pull off a miracle. With Tricia Fabbri, the 23-game winning streak, the senior daughter playing in perhaps her last game (or perhaps not?), the David-Goliath in-state match up , and a sweet 16 bearth on the line… This was just poised to be dramatic. And for a while, it really was.

On retrospect, the game is also interesting in the aftermath of the St. Francis blowout, and serves as a response to anyone taking seriously the “bad for basketball“ blather.

It was also very gratifying seeing our players find different ways to grind out a tough game where not everything was working well. And as everyone knows, this game was needed to help prepare us for what lies ahead.
Good post. I like the cherry pie choice analogy. The one by Marvin and Johnny or the one by Warrant? Same thing, but very different. or Cherry Pie by Marvin & Johnny 1954 . Both good ,but different

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Did not know UConn played two first round games this year .
Felt like four games.
th
(BTW Picture from movie Airplane!)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Surprised SF is running away with it. I voted Q. For me, it is always more fun when there is some (a little ?) strategy and struggle that we must overcome and when you make great plays, it feels like it was earned.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Did you mean to Skip the cover version? I bet you'll Flip over it!
Skip & Flip - Cherry Pie
The Skip and Flip version is the one I first remember. I grew up in the Pittsburgh area, and it was a hotbed for "oldies but goodies". My older brothers and sisters had many records, both 45 rpm and 78 rpm . There was a local DJ that made a living taking the the Skip and Flip type covers of the originals by artists that were not on the AM stations, and introducing his listeners to the groups that first made them. It was entertaining and educational to a young kid who did not know any better. There were many examples just like 'Cherry ,Cherry Pie' . Who can forget the painful experience of hearing Pat Boone perform 'Tutti Frutti' and not chuckle? Just was not in his wheelhouse! Thanks for helping me to remember some great old stuff. :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Two games played on opposite ends of the spectrum, both good runs for UConn. The "run-n-gun" game was fun. That game got ALL of the rust off. The slow down methodical wait till the last minute, make them play defense for 24 seconds game was good for UConn too. Watching Duke play 2 games this past weekend, we know what kind of game they are going to play. They aren't going to change anything. They are going to go with what got them to this point..............................but their run stops here! ;)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Liked the SF game more, reminded me of my favorite coach and teams during the 70's, 80's and early 90's by "Tark the Shark" of the Running Rebels of UNLV.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Liked the SF game more, reminded me of my favorite coach and teams during the 70's, 80's and early 90's by "Tark the Shark" of the Running Rebels of UNLV.
Paul Ball at LMU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom