Which #1 seed travels west? | The Boneyard

Which #1 seed travels west?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Don't know if this has been discussed.

Sites: Bridgeport/Lexington/Oklahoma City/Stockton.

Assuming UConn/ND/still Baylor/South Carolina are the one seeds.
No western team has even a shot at a 1 seed. So...who gets sent west in the
regionals...and why them?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
My guess is it depends what order the seeds are in. UCONN obviously in Bridgeport, ND to Lexington? If Baylor is #3, then they go to Oklahoma, and I guess SC would go to Stockton? No idea what the committee will do tho...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well #1 South Carolina has been sent West 2 of the last 3 years so I'm guessing Baylor.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It's pretty straightforward. Seeds in order should be - UConn, ND, SCar, Baylor

Go in that order and pick the closest site to each team:
UConn to Bridgeport
ND to Lexington
SCar to OKC
Baylor to Stockton

If that's not the seed order, I could be wrong but it does make sense. UConn is obviously #1. ND has the #2 RPI and #1 SOS, so they are #2. Think it's close between Baylor and SCar. SCar has one more loss but better RPI, SOS, and more top 50 wins.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
As a result of the Baylor loss, they now get sent to Stockton according to Charlie Creme. Bracketology with Charlie Creme

Charlie has Stanford and Oregon St as #2 Seeds and they are not in the Stockton Region. Washington is a 3 Seed and they are also not in Stockton. Definitely don't understand the placement of the #2 and #3 Seeded PAC 12 Teams.

Reaction Score
Well #1 South Carolina has been sent West 2 of the last 3 years so I'm guessing Baylor.

Baylor is absolutely not being sent west. They are too close to OKC. It will be Sc or ND. Most likely the former.

Reaction Score
It's pretty straightforward. Seeds in order should be - UConn, ND, SCar, Baylor

Go in that order and pick the closest site to each team:
UConn to Bridgeport
ND to Lexington
SCar to OKC
Baylor to Stockton

If that's not the seed order, I could be wrong but it does make sense. UConn is obviously #1. ND has the #2 RPI and #1 SOS, so they are #2. Think it's close between Baylor and SCar. SCar has one more loss but better RPI, SOS, and more top 50 wins.

Charlie Creme's updated bracket this morning agrees with your thinking. However, he also tweeted yesterday that he imagines the Committee may choose to keep Baylor in the OK City bracket, despite falling to the lowest 1 seed (if that's the Committee ranking).

Another interesting note in his revised bracket is that neither Stanford or OreSt (2-seeds) are in Stockton. 4-seed UCLA gets the honor at the moment.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Baylor is absolutely not being sent west. They are too close to OKC. It will be Sc or ND. Most likely the former.

I could see them flipping Baylor and SC as SC is a long way from home either way.

Can't see how there is any chance ND goes west. Baylor is only 50 miles closer to OKC than ND is to Lexington and ND is surely #2 overall.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The #4 seed, whoever they are. RHIP. They are the lowest ranked, so they get to go west. The higher seeds should be rewarded for being a higher seed. In theory, a #1 seed should prosper wherever they are sent.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Is that bracket matching up UConn versus Notre Dame in Final Four? Perhaps I'm reading the bracket lines wrong.

Reaction Score
Can't see how there is any chance ND goes west. Baylor is only 50 miles closer to OKC than ND is to Lexington and ND is surely #2 overall.

Last year they gave nd the advantage over sc. I could them flipping that this year to balance things.
But to be clear, I see SC as most likely west.

And I will say that putting SC in okc makes no sense. The men's and women's committee have always shifted the secondary team in a region to the open region (the west). There has never been a domino theory - e.g., send SC to next closest region, and bump that team to a different region. That makes 2 teams have to travel, not 1.

Baylor is in okc. Mark it down.

Reaction Score
Is that bracket matching up UConn versus Notre Dame in Final Four? Perhaps I'm reading the bracket lines wrong.

Creme does not predict final 4 matchups in his brackeyology.

Reaction Score
Last year they gave nd the advantage over sc. I could them flipping that this year to balance things.

And I will say that putting SC in okc makes no sense. The men's and women's committee have always shifted the secondary team in a region to the open region (the west). There has never been a domino theory - e.g., send SC to next closest region, and bump that team to a different region. That makes 2 teams have to travel, not 1.

Would having SC in the west region, and Baylor @ Oklahoma City, have any impact on the #2 seed placement?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

On the same page with you now, especially after reading this - Women's Basketball Selections 101 - Bracket

"The committee will also attempt to assign each team to the most geographically compatible regional." Bridgeport only has UCONN as a geographically compatible team. OKC only has Baylor. Lexington is best for both ND and SC. SC should lose out if ND is the #2 overall.

"And after examining the previous five years' brackets, teams or conferences will not be moved out of its natural region or geographic area an inordinate number of times." SC went to Sioux Falls last year. But two years ago they got Greensboro while ND had to go to OKC. I think it ought to be ok for SC to get the short end of the stick two years in a row and make a mental note to keep them close to home next year.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
One thing that threw me off:

Last night Creme (who mind you, is often wrong) said that he thought the committee would put Baylor in OKC. This morning he put them in Stockton with this explanation Baylor upset causes ripple effect throughout bracket

Despite that mindset, I laid out the bracket with South Carolina in Oklahoma City and shifted Baylor to the Stockton Regional. It's a flight for either school to either location, so attendance is the only reason to try to keep Baylor in OKC.

The result: a better, more balanced bracket -- and Texas as the No. 3 seed in the Oklahoma City Regional, giving it a Big 12 team after all. Due to bracketing principles and procedures, there was no way to get a competitively balanced bracket among the top four seeds with Baylor in OKC. With the Lady Bears in Stockton it's much more balanced -- and it's important to consider this scenario moving forward.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
On the same page with you now, especially after reading this - Women's Basketball Selections 101 - Bracket

"The committee will also attempt to assign each team to the most geographically compatible regional." Bridgeport only has UCONN as a geographically compatible team. OKC only has Baylor. Lexington is best for both ND and SC. SC should lose out if ND is the #2 overall.

"And after examining the previous five years' brackets, teams or conferences will not be moved out of its natural region or geographic area an inordinate number of times." SC went to Sioux Falls last year. But two years ago they got Greensboro while ND had to go to OKC. I think it ought to be ok for SC to get the short end of the stick two years in a row and make a mental note to keep them close to home next year.
Or you make a mental note this year and say the only team among the #1 seeds not to win their conference tournament is ...

Reaction Score
Or you make a mental note this year and say the only team among the #1 seeds not to win their conference tournament is ...

I must've missed the conference champion rule in the policies and procedures.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Last year, South Carolina and Notre Dame were very close for that #2 seed. But, with Lexington, KY hosting the regional, the only way for Kentucky to be placed there would be for South Carolina to go elsewhere due to both being in the same conference. No surprise to me that the committee made it so that UK stayed home as the host.

This year's big decision looks like it's for the #3 overall seed between USC and Baylor. It's important as it keeps one of the team's out of the overall #1 seed's bracket until the potential national championship game. So, comparing the team's body of work is really important.

USC and Baylor both beat Ohio State; both lost to UConn. Baylor beat UCLA at home. Both beat Texas on the road, but Baylor lost to Texas at home as well. Baylor beat Tennessee on the road, while USC lost to the Lady Vols at home. USC beat Mississippi State twice. And, USC won both the SEC regular season and tourney titles. Baylor only won the regular season Big 12 title.

So, if USC's RPI and SOS are higher than Baylor's, the committee should give USC the #3 overall seed to keep the integrity of the bracket. Baylor getting to play in OKC shouldn't be a big factor.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Would having SC in the west region, and Baylor @ Oklahoma City, have any impact on the #2 seed placement?
Yes - it is supposed to be an S curve so if they choose SC as the third and Baylor as the fourth #1 seed which seems to be the consensus, then wherever they send Baylor the first #2 seed should follow, and the second #2 seed should be matched with SC, the third with ND and the fourth with UConn, then UConn gets the first #3 seed and the fourth #4 seed, etc. (And of course the conference rules kick in to cause adjustments to those requirements, but interestingly the Pac12 and Big10 don't have any #1 seeds, but make up two or three of the four likely #2 seeds which keeps things cleaner.)

Reaction Score
Yes - it is supposed to be an S curve so if they choose SC as the third and Baylor as the fourth #1 seed which seems to be the consensus, then wherever they send Baylor the first #2 seed should follow, and the second #2 seed should be matched with SC, the third with ND and the fourth with UConn, then UConn gets the first #3 seed and the fourth #4 seed, etc. (And of course the conference rules kick in to cause adjustments to those requirements, but interestingly the Pac12 and Big10 don't have any #1 seeds, but make up two or three of the four likely #2 seeds which keeps things cleaner.)
Thanks. With this information, I eagerly await next Monday's Selection Show!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom