Which # 1 Seed do we want / don't want? | The Boneyard

Which # 1 Seed do we want / don't want?

Reaction Score
I know its still very early. If we are destined to be a #2 seed which #1 would you pick to face?

Or is it a already a given we will meet ND in Albany? I say anyone except ND or Baylor.

Reactions: mmt

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I know its still very early. If we are destined to be a #2 seed which #1 would you pick to face?

Or is it a already a given we will meet ND in Albany? I say anyone except ND or Baylor.

ND very likely goes to Chicago as a 1 or 2. If I'm UCONN I'd like to avoid ND, Baylor or Mississippi State. Baylor/MSU have obvious matchup problems, ND will be out for blood in a rematch.

UCONN matches up well with Oregon/Louisville IMO, especially with a home crowd in Albany. Oregon isn't leaving Portland though unless Oregon State makes a big surge and pushes U of O to a new region.

Reaction Score
ND very likely goes to Chicago as a 1 or 2. If I'm UCONN I'd like to avoid ND, Baylor or Mississippi State. Baylor/MSU have obvious matchup problems, ND will be out for blood in a rematch.

UCONN matches up well with Oregon/Louisville IMO, especially with a home crowd in Albany. Oregon isn't leaving Portland though unless Oregon State makes a big surge and pushes U of O to a new region.
I'm inclined to think that Geno doesn't really care. I think he wants his team ready to play anyone anywhere because I think first and foremost, he is a basketball purist. If UConn makes the final four, I'm sure he wants them there because they are playing great ball and deserve to be there.

Reaction Score
I think there are other teams, not destined to be #1 seeds, that will be just as challenging as the #1 seeds. I really think the parity is deep and wide this season.

Reaction Score
Massey "says" that the top 6 teams pretty much form a group and then a gap to #7. This appears true both for "rating" (what has happened) and "power" (projection going forward based on offensive and defensive strength). This is what math says - not emotion.

Reaction Score
Massey "says" that the top 6 teams pretty much form a group and then a gap to #7. This appears true both for "rating" (what has happened) and "power" (projection going forward based on offensive and defensive strength). This is what math says - not emotion.

Math? Math makes sense within a POWER5 conference, but I put less faith in the "Math" when these POWER5 conference teams (and UCONN) meet each other in the NCAA Tournament

Reaction Score
Hmmmmm....

This is a tough question. I think placement this year is far more important than seeding. Last year we were making the FF even if we played our E8 opponent, South Carolina, on their home floor. With that being said, I think the team we match up the best with is Louisville. All the other top 3 teams have post players that we can't really rebound with and will have a hard time defending(Yes, I know we neutralized Shepard/Turner in December, but it'll be harder the second time around). There is obviously still a long season to go, but if I was a betting man I would say the seeding goes like this if the season ended today.

Albany
1. Louisville
2. UCONN

Greensboro
1. Baylor
2. NC State

Chicago
1. ND
2. Oregon State

Portland
1. Oregon
2. Mississippi State

Only problem with these seedings are that in 3 of the 4 regions, the teams will have already played each other. If you go by a true S-Curve, Oregon and Baylor should be together. But there is 0 chance that the SelCom is shipping UCONN to Portland or Oregon to Albany. I see a lot of pissed off coaches this year. The Louisville fans were already bitching up a storm about Creme having them in Albany with us as a #2 seed.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I'm inclined to think that Geno doesn't really care. I think he wants his team ready to play anyone anywhere because I think first and foremost, he is a basketball purist. If UConn makes the final four, I'm sure he wants them there because they are playing great ball and deserve to be there.

Match ups are extremely important, just ask South Carolina from 2017 or UCONN in 2013 when they avoided Griner and Baylor. Especially this year where UCONN has a gaping hole in their post play. The prospect of playing:
Elite 8-Mississippi State
Final Four-Baylor
Championship-Notre Dame

is VERY different than:
Elite 8-Marquette
Final Four-Oregon
Championship-Notre Dame

This is the first time in 10+ years where I think who UCONN gets in their regional will determine how far the team goes. Every season UCONN has been head and shoulders better than anybody who earned a 2 seed out east. Wont be the case this year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Albany
1. Louisville
2. UCONN

Greensboro
1. Baylor
2. NC State

Chicago
1. ND
2. Oregon State

Portland
1. Oregon
2. Mississippi State

I'm not a betting man either, but I don't think there's any chance NC State holds onto a 2 seed. They've got quite a gauntlet coming up. It's admirable how well they've dealt with adversity this year but I think a number of losses are about to come their way. If Stanford holds serve at home this weekend I would think they have to be on the 2 seed line at somebody's expense.

Reaction Score
I'm not a betting man either, but I don't think there's any chance NC State holds onto a 2 seed. They've got quite a gauntlet coming up. It's admirable how well they've dealt with adversity this year but I think a number of losses are about to come their way. If Stanford holds serve at home this weekend I would think they have to be on the 2 seed line at somebody's expense.

I agree with you....but if brackets were announced today, they would.

FWIW, I think these will be the top 8 seeds when all is said and done.

1. ND
2. Baylor
3. Louisville
4. Oregon
5. UCONN
6. Mississippi State
7. Oregon State
8. Maryland/Marquette

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Oregon...we don't get to see them otherwise.
Don't think its possible to play Oregon if they area #1 seed unless Uconn drops to a 5 seed and doesnt go to Albany.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't want to see Baylor. Take my chances against Louisville and Notre Dame. I suspect either Notre Dame or Louisville won't be a #1 seed. If that happens, Miss St probably gets the other #1 seed and I wouldn't want to see them in UConn's bracket.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I agree with you....but if brackets were announced today, they would.

FWIW, I think these will be the top 8 seeds when all is said and done.

1. ND
2. Baylor
3. Louisville
4. Oregon
5. UCONN
6. Mississippi State
7. Oregon State
8. Maryland/Marquette

Can't see ND getting #1 overall ahead of Baylor with tonight's loss. Marquette>Maryland if they win out to finish the year. Mississippi State should also be ahead of Notre Dame and UCONN if they run the table to finish the year.

Also keep an eye on Stanford...if they have a good weekend their stock climbs considerably. Lots of moving pieces right now.

Reaction Score
Charlie Creme @CharlieCreme
Another Thursday. More upheaval. ND gets upset by Miami and NC St goes down. Here is the update at the top. #1’s Baylor, Louisville, Oregon, UConn. #2’s ND, Miss St, Stanford, Marquette. Just like that UConn is back on the 1-line thanks to Miami. More to come...

6:13 PM - 7 Feb 2019

mmt

Reaction Score
Another question, if UConn is a two seed at Albany, which 1 seed would least want to face UConn, answer ALL OF THEM!
They'd all love to keep Uconn out of the Final Four for the first time in forever!

Reaction Score
I’m actually curious... When is the last home game (including Mohegan & any tournament regional that basically were home games) we lost? Don’t underestimate the home court advantage.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I’m actually curious... When is the last home game (including Mohegan & any tournament regional that basically were home games) we lost? Don’t underestimate the home court advantage.
vs. Notre Dame, March 2013, Big East final in Hartford.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think UConn matches up best with Oregon, but they'll NEVER send the Huskies out west as a 2-seed. UConn could win that game. Terrible matchups for UConn would be Baylor and Mississippi State. Both teams are super physical and can rebound out of the gym.. Miss State in particular would be a BAD break for UConn. That team is fast, defends hard, and REBOUNDS.

UConn will end up in Albany... off topic, but I think it'll be a huge disappointment if we don't get to see Miss State play Baylor this season. I kinda don't care when (I'm lying, I honestly would prefer the E8 but whatevs), I just want to see Brown vs. McCowan.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
There is still a lot of basketball to be played.

Oregon has to go to the Bay Area this weekend for match ups with Cal/Stanford and then gets Oregon State twice. Potential loss or 2 there. If they sweep the PAC then they are certain to be a #1. They could probably lose at Stanford and split with Oregon State and still stay on the top line for the Portland Regional. If the cardinal win this weekend and the PAC12 do they ascend to the 1 line?

Mississippi State could bump up to 1 line with an undefeated SEC run and the conference crown.

ACC will likely have 1 #1 but lots of games left to decide if it’s Louisville or ND. Louisville could win regular season and ND could take ACC tournament crown. Not sure how committee will tackle it. Both on 1 line if that happens???

It’s gonna be an interesting Confernce Tournament and Selection Monday!!!!!

Reaction Score
I think UConn matches up best with Oregon, but they'll NEVER send the Huskies out west as a 2-seed. UConn could win that game. Terrible matchups for UConn would be Baylor and Mississippi State. Both teams are super physical and can rebound out of the gym.. Miss State in particular would be a BAD break for UConn. That team is fast, defends hard, and REBOUNDS.

UConn will end up in Albany... off topic, but I think it'll be a huge disappointment if we don't get to see Miss State play Baylor this season. I kinda don't care when (I'm lying, I honestly would prefer the E8 but whatevs), I just want to see Brown vs. McCowan.
Me too but hope it is in final four, certainly do not want to be in same region.

Reaction Score
I want Louisville or Baylor rematches, makes no difference to me what round, but Final 8 round works for me.

That way you get a rematch to game plan for, and pressure on the players shifts to the previous winner. All for a F4 berth.

IMO this allows Geno to best leverage himself (game planning adjustments) and players (execution), against 2 teams they have seen before, and can beat.

Of all the teams I've seen though.....Louisville looks to me to be the team that's "on a mission".....and that's dangerous.....but you've gotta beat them sometime so it really doesn't matter where you do it when you're playing for an NC and nothing else.....2nd place is as bad as 8th place.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom